communion from a former Catholic, now episcopal priest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
would you take Communion

Minor point, and not on topic, but we don't 'take' communion, but rather 'receive' it.

from an episcopal priest who was a former Catholic priest, who fully intended to confect the sacrament as we understand it?

No - receiving communion has a two-fold significance. 1. is professing belief in the real presence of Christ. 2. is doctrinal communion with the community in which you receive.

Upvote 0

King of the Nations

Apr 22, 2005
✟5,186.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
would you take Communion from an episcopal priest who was a former Catholic priest, who fully intended to confect the sacrament as we understand it?
Would would you receive (not "take", as Saloman pointed out) communion in a situation like that?

Greg

Upvote 0

Markh

Extra Mariam Nulla Salus
Dec 12, 2003
London
Visit site
✟19,044.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I even guess that the act of receiving from an apostate would be a grave matter and mortal sin if conditions fulfilled. I am actually pretty sure that attending a non-Catholic service in iteself which claims (incorrectly) to be in communion with Rome is grave matter.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A priest who leaves the catholic church is not an apostate unless he completely repudiates the faith, which is not the case. That would be heresy, not apostacy...

I even guess that the act of receiving from an apostate would be a grave matter and mortal sin if conditions fulfilled. I am actually pretty sure that attending a non-Catholic service in iteself which claims (incorrectly) to be in communion with Rome is grave matter.

:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michelina

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2003
✟19,733.00
Faith
Catholic
as a point of reference here, may i ask what this means?

This means that the priest, when he says the consecratory words, intends the transformation of the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ. Without that intention (which is almost always habitual), the transformation would not occur.

I'm closing this thread for a brief clean-up.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
The answer to the question is "no." While he is still validly ordained, obviously, he might as well be holding a piece of bread, waving his hands over it and saying "presto changeo." The good bishop has removed himself from our communion table. It is wholly incorrect for the bishop to leave and yet say "sure, i'll do it in the way that you believe." Moreover, it is blasphemous.

The Eucharist is the medicine of immortality and, as the Church states, is the source and summit of the Christian life. Trifle with it at your own risk.

In response to Lonnie, not to be uncharitable, but if Church wanted unity to be expressed through communion we would have open "communion" just like the denominationalists do.

Upvote 0

Michelina

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2003
✟19,733.00
Faith
Catholic
The answer to the question is "no." While he is still validly ordained, obviously, he might as well be holding a piece of bread, waving his hands over it and saying "presto changeo."

Unless he places an invalidating intention, the matter and form being the same, the Sacrament would be confected. Nevertheless, a Catholic cannot partake of such a Communion. It is an objectively grave matter to do so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Lorain, Ohio about 30 miles west of Cleveland on L
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
YES to the original question
i would recieve communion from the Episcopalian priest
and i would believe that GOD had honored his prayer and transformed the bread and wine to HIS body and blood.

Reactions: She
Upvote 0

Michelina

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2003
✟19,733.00
Faith
Catholic
YES to the original question
i would recieve communion from the Episcopalian priest
and i would believe that GOD had honored his prayer and transformed the bread and wine to HIS body and blood.

There are 2 separate questions there:

1) Yes, there very well MIGHT be a valid sacrament there.

2) No, as a Catholic, you are not permitted to receive "Communion" in that circumstance.

You may not like that but you are NOT a Pastor of the Church. (CCC 888 - 892.)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.