Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm.
I believe this IS a spiritual issue.

Why exactly should a person NOT feel sorry for themselves if life is painful and difficult. Heck, nobody ELSE is going to feel sorry for you, so you might have to do it yourself LOL!

But seriously, I don't think I have ever seen self-pity in others, because I believe in valueing a person and listening to their pain and letting them be real.

Then you chat a bit, pray, explore options together, have a coffee, have a laugh, have a chocolate brownie - whatever it takes - you help them, with kindness and maybe sacrificially offering your time and presence until they feel more positive.

The "church" says a lot about self-pity, always in a very heartless and accusatory manner. I think it stinks to be honest.

Wonder if Jesus ever told anyone to stop whinging and suck it up?!
I DON'T THINK SO!

:)

Reactions: Seeking Him
Upvote 0

Seeking Him

May 19, 2008
USA
✟10,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hmmm.
I believe this IS a spiritual issue.

Why exactly should a person NOT feel sorry for themselves if life is painful and difficult. Heck, nobody ELSE is going to feel sorry for you, so you might have to do it yourself LOL!

But seriously, I don't think I have ever seen self-pity in others, because I believe in valueing a person and listening to their pain and letting them be real.

Then you chat a bit, pray, explore options together, have a coffee, have a laugh, have a chocolate brownie - whatever it takes - you help them, with kindness and maybe sacrificially offering your time and presence until they feel more positive.

The "church" says a lot about self-pity, always in a very heartless and accusatory manner. I think it stinks to be honest.

Wonder if Jesus ever told anyone to stop whinging and suck it up?!
I DON'T THINK SO!

:)
I agree with you. It seems when self pity is addressed, it is many times harsh and people are told to "knock it off." People feel self pity because they are in pain and need help. What pastor is really saying is don't feel. But feelings are human and the church many times doesn't want people to feel certain emotions, especially negative ones.

Upvote 0

BillynJennifer

Veteran
Sep 16, 2005
KY
✟17,113.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
Status