tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
https://www.romper.com/p/hillary-cl...orting-mandatory-vaccines-thats-crucial-15385

Mandatory vaccination would be bad for America for several reasons.
  1. It's government overreach. Parents should have the freedom to make this decision for themselves.
  2. Vaccines as they are now are designed to maximize profits for pharmaceutical companies more than they're designed to help people.
  3. This is a slippery slope. If we let the government mandate this kind of care then what else will we let them require?
Your thoughts?

I agree.

Vaccines work if 100% of people are vaccinated, otherwise the shedding period can infect those who weren't vacinnated.

I just agree... not going to say anymore.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What does mandatory mean?

What enforcement mechanism is proposed?

I could not find anything clarifying that. Mandatory in the sense that if you are not you cannot enroll in School or other high contact situations and mandatory meaning if found out they strap you down and stick a needle in your arm are very different things.

I do wish that someone had started with the carrot instead of the stick (even if the stick is just waived and never used). Why not start by making all vaccinations paid for by the state? For some the cost is significant to unbearable. OK it would have the irony of the poor being better off then the stupid idle rich, but is that a bad thing?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,434,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
https://www.romper.com/p/hillary-cl...orting-mandatory-vaccines-thats-crucial-15385

1. It's government overreach. Parents should have the freedom to make this decision for themselves.
  2. Vaccines as they are now are designed to maximize profits for pharmaceutical companies more than they're designed to help people.
  3. This is a slippery slope. If we let the government mandate this kind of care then what else will we let them require?
Your thoughts?

Your source is a blog....which then goes to a tweet. Has Clinton actually stated she would implement mandatory vaccinations?

Upvote 0

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You don't see a problem with right to privacy, bodily autonomy, and individual freedoms here?

IMO not getting your kids vaccinated should be seen as child abuse.

Upvote 0

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Why not start by making all vaccinations paid for by the state? For some the cost is significant to unbearable. OK it would have the irony of the poor being better off then the stupid idle rich, but is that a bad thing?

Sorry for stupid question: I thought all vaccinations would be paid for by the government. Not in the USA?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟912,545.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Your thoughts?

My thought is that eradicating polio is more important then letting people believe in conspiracy theories. If you wish to believe nonsense then more power to you just so long as your actions do not put the rest of us at risk.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟900,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I fully support the rights of governments to bar voluntarily unvaccinated individuals from civic spaces to protect those of us who aren't lunatics.
Well, it goes both ways if I get the shots then I am less likely to get the condition as seriously that should be my decision. Moreover, if I am an adult and I KNOW I have a weaker immune system due to certain medical conditions I can limit how often and when I go out in public for the benefit of myself and others by , for example going out shopping at Walmart when fewer people are around. Working in an office with not as much public interaction, working from home.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟900,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sorry for stupid question: I thought all vaccinations would be paid for by the government. Not in the USA?
nope, just like about any other healthcare you pay for it.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What does mandatory mean?

What enforcement mechanism is proposed?

This is unclear as it is just the position of a presidential candidate. The brass tacks would be worked out in actual policy. Would enforcement mean paying a fine? Would it mean that the state could assume control of your children?

I do wish that someone had started with the carrot instead of the stick (even if the stick is just waived and never used). Why not start by making all vaccinations paid for by the state? For some the cost is significant to unbearable. OK it would have the irony of the poor being better off then the stupid idle rich, but is that a bad thing?

I don't think that people who opt out of vaccines or people who choose an alternate schedule do so for financial reasons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
My thought is that eradicating polio is more important then letting people believe in conspiracy theories. If you wish to believe nonsense then more power to you just so long as your actions do not put the rest of us at risk.

Plenty of people opt out of vaccines or choose alternate schedules because of scientific reasons. We give our children some vaccines which are important but opt out of stupid, harmful ones.

Another problem is that vaccines come in package deals now because it's easier for pharmaceutical companies to sell them and make profit in this way. The only way to get a tetanus shot anymore is to get DTAP which includes much more stuff that may be unwanted. It would be nice if we could pick and choose but big pharma in league with leftist policies are making this more difficult every year.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟912,545.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Plenty of people opt out of vaccines or choose alternate schedules because of scientific reasons. We give our children some vaccines which are important but opt out of stupid, harmful ones.

No, they do not since there are no "scientific reasons" to opt out of vaccinations. Contrary to some beliefs modern medicine is not a giant scam.

Another problem is that vaccines come in package deals now because it's easier for pharmaceutical companies to sell them and make profit in this way. The only way to get a tetanus shot anymore is to get DTAP which includes much more stuff that may be unwanted. It would be nice if we could pick and choose but big pharma in league with leftist policies are making this more difficult every year.

As I said, conspiracy theories coupled with black and white thinking is not a sufficient reason to put the rest of our lives in danger. If you are worried about drug companies being irresponsible because of a profit motive then move them away from a capitalistic framework.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Your thoughts?
You forgot they cause autism and sterilise black people.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, they do not since there are no "scientific reasons" to opt out of vaccinations. Contrary to some beliefs modern medicine is not a giant scam.

As I said, conspiracy theories coupled with black and white thinking is not a sufficient reason to put the rest of our lives in danger. If you are worried about drug companies being irresponsible because of a profit motive then move them away from a capitalistic framework.
There ARE some medically sound reasons for some people to kpt out of vaccines, allergies and such, TBF. These people are a tiny number though.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟276,880.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Plenty of people opt out of vaccines or choose alternate schedules because of scientific reasons.

Scientific reasons such as?

We give our children some vaccines which are important but opt out of stupid, harmful ones.

US vaccine schedule for first 15 months is:

Hepatitis B,
Rotavirus,
Diphtheria, tetanus, & acellular pertussis,
Haemophilus influenzae type b,
Pneumococcal conjugate,
Inactivated poliovirus,
Influenza,
Measles, mumps, rubella,
Varicella,
Hepatitis A,
Meningococcal

Which of those are "stupid"?
Which of those are "harmful"?

I can understand being wary about vaccines if your child is in a high risk category, but otherwise, I generally think the 8-20 fold reduction in child mortality is worth it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Ever nursed a polio survivor?

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As long as there are exemptions based on sincerely held religious or philosophical beliefs, I wouldn't have a problem with it in theory. Need to see the details though, of course.
They'd have to be pretty sincere. I mean, if it's a legitimate belief, yeah, ok, but I see an awful lot of people claiming "sincere belief"based on garbled Facebook memes and email fwds.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They'd have to be pretty sincere. I mean, if it's a legitimate belief, yeah, ok, but I see an awful lot of people claiming "sincere belief"based on garbled Facebook memes and email fwds.
Courts can determine if a belief is sincerely held, if necessary. Usually though, you just sign a government waiver for this sort of thing. In my state, they also make you take a class about vaccines if you go for the exemption, in order for your kids to be eligible to attend public school.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
So what's the endgame here? You believe that the government wants to control our health. How? What would be different for us?

What would you call a government who regulates everything you do
from birth to death? Orwell imagined the government, but I doubt
he saw how many people who want it to control them.

Upvote 0