Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
https://www.romper.com/p/hillary-cl...orting-mandatory-vaccines-thats-crucial-15385

Mandatory vaccination would be bad for America for several reasons.
  1. It's government overreach. Parents should have the freedom to make this decision for themselves.
  2. Vaccines as they are now are designed to maximize profits for pharmaceutical companies more than they're designed to help people.
  3. This is a slippery slope. If we let the government mandate this kind of care then what else will we let them require?
Your thoughts?

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Well, as a rule I do not like anything to be forced upon people. However, some vaccinations might be important for the health of the society. I guess I am undecided on the issue at this time. Personally, I refuse to get the flu shot.

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,471.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You don't see a right to personal health and lower health risks in civic spaces?

I attended public schools (some decades ago) through no choice of my own. I was forced to go. At the very least I shouldn't be subject to higher health risks because some other person has anti-science, crank views on vaccines.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well, as a rule I do not like anything to be forced upon people. However, some vaccinations might be important for the health of the society. I guess I am undecided on the issue at this time. Personally, I refuse to get the flu shot.

You have every right to do so. It's your responsibility to educate yourself on what's in a flu shot, whether or not it's useful, and to make a decision that accords with your conscience.

It's pharmaceutical companies and doctors who are responsible for convincing you that you should get it. But if they can't convince you then what right does the government have to force you to get it?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You don't see a right to personal health and lower health risks in civic spaces?

I attended public schools (some decades ago) through no choice of my own. I was forced to go. At the very least I shouldn't be subject to higher health risks because some other person has anti-science, crank views on vaccines.

Many people who make an educated decision to forgo certain vaccines do so for scientific reasons. Why would an unvaccinated person pose a risk to a vaccinated person?

Upvote 0

evoeth

Mar 5, 2014
✟130,471.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But if they can't convince you then what right does the government have to force you to get it?

I fully support the rights of governments to bar voluntarily unvaccinated individuals from civic spaces to protect those of us who aren't lunatics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

evoeth

Mar 5, 2014
✟130,471.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Many people who make an educated decision to forgo certain vaccines do so for scientific reasons. Why would an unvaccinated person pose a risk to a vaccinated person?

Horse hockey. There are not scientific reasons to delay vaccines. The FDA is preposterously strict in approving vaccines.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Short of a worldwide flu epidemic, like about 100 years ago, I would say that the government has no right to force the flu shot vaccination. I suppose that in times of extreme health emergencies, they might have such a right. Maybe?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would an unvaccinated person pose a risk to a vaccinated person?
Because vaccines aren't perfect. A person can have a immune deficiency that would make a vaccine ineffective, the vaccine has yet to fully kick in, or the vaccine didn't take by just random dumb luck. There's also people who cannot have a vaccine or have yet to get one.

Those people rely on vaccinated people to prevent a disease from spreading in the first place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Short of a worldwide flu epidemic, like about 100 years ago, I would say that the government has no right to force the flu shot vaccination. I suppose that in times of extreme health emergencies, they might have such a right. Maybe?
I'm not aware of any serious attempt to make flu shots mandatory. What is often suggested as being mandatory, especially if you go to or work in a public school, are your standard vaccines you get as a child - Hep B, polio, meningitis, MMR, Tdap, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is it that secular folks have a greater tendency to trust governmental and scientific authorities without question?
This isn't trusting something without question. This is based on years of research of vaccines - how they work, and how effective they are. We know what life was like before these vaccines existed, we know their risks, and we know what happens when vaccination rates start falling below certain thresholds (recent measles outbreak being a good example).

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This isn't trusting something without question. This is based on years of research of vaccines - how they work, and how effective they are. We know what life was like before these vaccines existed, we know their risks, and we know what happens when vaccination rates start falling below certain thresholds (recent measles outbreak being a good example).

Through what institution did you do years of research on vaccines?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Through what institution did you do years of research on vaccines?
I didn't do the actual research; that would be insanity to expect of everyone. You can look at the years of research by any number of respected medical organizations. There's tons of studies on them.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I didn't do the research. You can look at the years of research by any number of respected medical organizations. There's tons of studies on them.

So you're saying that you're willing to trust them without question or personal investigation?

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
She also thinks it is perfectly fine to rip in pieces a perfectly healthy full term baby in the mothers womb.

She also thinks it's okay to eat Kraft Dinner with ketchup. Nasty Woman.

Upvote 0