United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thy wish is my command, sire....

Go to the Settings page and type zoom. Look at the second hit.

BTW, regarding Windows, you may be able to get what you need with a pixels per inch display settings change rather than magnification. Or even in system fonts.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thy wish is my command, sire....

Go to the Settings page and type zoom. Look at the second hit.

BTW, regarding Windows, you may be able to get what you need with a pixels per inch display settings change rather than magnification. Or even in system fonts.

Hey now; none of that sire stuff;:) I'm just a servant of the most high God>Jesus;:holy: like yourself. And a not too bright a one sometimes; but I keep learning; even if it's things that I used to think I knew; like the difference in DPI and PPI.

Used to think I knew and understood how screen resolution, dots per inch, pixels per inch, and zooming all interrelated; but after your saying changing PPI would do the same as zooming; I had to go do some studying online.

People use DPI and PPI inter-changeably for the number pixels in a LCD but DPI is mainly used for printers. A LCD's number of pixels per inch is a physical measurement and can't be changed. So when we change the PPI; we are actually changing the magnification.

So I looked up and found, in display advanced settings; that Win10 (don't know if W8-8.1 is the same) has; in addition to the resolution (which in my case is 1600x900) a setting for, from 100% to 150% to change the size of "texts, apps and other items" so set this for 150 like I would with zoom in SJ. Well it worked, but not only were the web pages enlarged; but also my icons on the desktop and the address bar, bookmarks bar and tabs. Which, for the icons, threw them out of alignment and kind of jumbled them together. Well that wouldn't work; so went back to display settings and tried to set the scroll control back to 100%; but it wouldn't go, kept bouncing back to 150; so found another control in advance, that had a ruler and another control, which was called "scaling" and set it to 100.

Well the icons went back to medium; and, low and behold; the task bar, start menu and all lower icons were gone again. Well... I wasn't even surprised any more; after all the crashes and problems I have gone thru with this PC, the last 4 months or so; so I restarted, crossed my fingers and luckily everything came back. So I left the pexied display settings alone and went and tried the settings in Slimjet; altho I didn't expect it to work, as I had changed the zoom setting in the menu pull-down before and had seen the other one in settings; it was on 100 like the menu one; so set it to 150% and tried a few web pages and it worked! I guess the one in the menu is for an individual page and the one in settings is permanent; I SURE hope so. Thanks again Paul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After I was on the web using SJ; with everything nice and enlarge; I looked at my desktop and the fonts under the icons was small; also the tool bars in SJ are small, hard to read; so these things must be set by Windows10; so setting the size of items (sorry for being so technical, but that's what windows calls them) back to 100% was too small. I have never set this before and would assume it would be set to 100; now when I try to change it back the slider just goes back to 100. As can be seen in this screen shot (If you can read it. that's how small the texting is) it says "If neither of these makes the changes you want, you can _set a custom scaling level_ (not recommended). Setting custom levels can lead to unexpected behavior on some displays." Now they tell me! This display/text change box wasn't in the display settings; I found it in the fonts setting pop-up. As can be seen in the second screen shot below. Is this like any of the previous Windows OS'? So I set the text size for 12, was 9, and hope I can find out how to change the tools bars as I'm leery of messing with the custom scaling level. Nothing but fun and games!:doh:

upload_2015-11-24_2-12-40.png

upload_2015-11-24_2-36-20.png

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
the one in the menu is for an individual page and the one in settings is permanent;
You're very welcome. That's exactly right. You also can change appearance of any site individually, or all sites, to suit your fancy via a local style sheet. See the sticky topic in the CF help forum where I have instructions posted.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After I was on the web using SJ; with everything nice and enlarge; I looked at my desktop and the fonts under the icons was small; also the tool bars in SJ are small, hard to read; so these things must be set by Windows10; so setting the size of items (sorry for being so technical, but that's what windows calls them) back to 100% was too small. I have never set this before and would assume it would be set to 100; now when I try to change it back the slider just goes back to 100. As can be seen in this screen shot (If you can read it. that's how small the texting is) it says "If neither of these makes the changes you want, you can _set a custom scaling level_ (not recommended). Setting custom levels can lead to unexpected behavior on some displays." Now they tell me! This display/text change box wasn't in the display settings; I found it in the fonts setting pop-up. As can be seen in the second screen shot below. Is this like any of the previous Windows OS'? So I set the text size for 12, was 9, and hope I can find out how to change the tools bars as I'm leery of messing with the custom scaling level. Nothing but fun and games!:doh:

View attachment 166320

View attachment 166322

Oh; memory can be such a fickle thing; especially when your older then some countries. I was looking how to reset my text size for my new laptop after I did the one year Win 10 anniversary up-date; and could remember doing it in my old LT but thought it was in the Win 10 thread; now I find it in the Chrome thread.

Just thought I would bump this thread encase anyone needs a good browser--SlimJet is my pick after more then a year of use.

Upvote 0