Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After having more then 20 people tell me, in the last two weeks, that the reason I was having trouble with loading images, typing characters into reply boxes. and CF loading slow or not at all; was because of IE11; and that I should try Chrome.
Altho most of the problems were cleared up after CF got back on it's feet after the platform change; the boggy reply box was getting very irritating.

So I finally bit the bullet and gave Chrome a try last night. After a not that easy of an install; I got Chrome running, and it may be cause I have been pretty much a Internet Explorer user for 20 years; with a few side trips with Netscape and Firefox; but Chrome does not seem intuitive at all.

It was hard to find anything, everything seems to be hid; like the settings and tools, a little button, that I found by accident, the tabs, or folders are hide behind each other and are hard to see.

But the worse thing it did was to, crash. after just fifteen minutes of use; and all I was doing was viewing posts on CF! It didn't just close the window and start over right away like IE does, once in a while; but completely crashed and had to be restarted. I opened up IE, and not sure I'm going back.

I was really expecting a much better experience from Chrome after all the hoopla I've heard of it over the last few years. So what is your experience with Chrome? Or others. Oh; be sure to vote in the poll above, thanks.

Last edited:

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I never had many instability issues with Chrome, but I don't trust Google and will not use it. Chromium is google-sponsored as well, but it's open source. The derivative I use, Slimjet, has many features added on, including both performance and security features, so that makes for a happy combination. They have already dealt with the new html5 vulnerabilities, and they are going to incorporate a built-in ad blocker soon, which should work faster and require fewer resources than an extension, just for a couple of examples.

Maxthon is good, but it's closed-source and has limited extensions. Opera is another Chromium derivative. I don't like the feel of Firefox, and the fact that you need extensions for everything, and I am not happy with the PC way they mistreated Brendan Eishe(sp?), so I uninstalled.

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The derivative I use, Slimjet, has many features added on, including both performance and security features, so that makes for a happy combination. They have already dealt with the new html5 vulnerabilities, and they are going to incorporate a built-in ad blocker soon, which should work faster and require fewer resources than an extension, just for a couple of examples

I'm looking at reviews online, a little late, but better then never, about the newest browsers; but haven't come across any on Slimjet, do you know of any? Thanks.

Upvote 0

C-Man

Apr 12, 2010
Texas
✟9,173.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've been a Firefox-head for years now. It does have a very slight memory leak nowadays, but it takes a day or two to get up to 1GB of usage for me, nowhere near as bad as Chrome. Here is an illustration. :D

I'm definitely with you on Chrome's interface; it's downright anorexic compared to Firefox's. If you want, in Firefox, you can just re-enable the old-style menus just by right-clicking and enabling the Menu Bar.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I use Chrome mainly because the last time I tested the big name browsers it was the fastest.

I never really got on with Firefox at the time, all looked a bit too Windows XP, cluttered and not as fast as Chrome.
Opera was really nice, but just wasn't fast enough.
This must of been a good few years ago now; with a much better PC I doubt speed will be as much of a concern.

Once Windows 10 is out I'll probably test Edge and all the other major browsers again.

EDIT: When I was playing around with Ubuntu installations I really liked Chromium.

Upvote 0

inlight12

Aug 10, 2014
✟7,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
lHshj.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,300.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I use Srware Iron... ...It is based on the same Chromium browser engine that Chrome uses - but none of that security leaks!! This means it is also compatible with all Chrome apps.

I think CF works best with Firefox and Firefox seems decent with privacy.

I have used Chrome, FF, and IE. SRWare Iron gave me the best results. FF will likely work better with CF but I personally prefer Iron because it uses less internet resources than FF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have tentatively been using Chrome lately; it hasn't crashed again, but i was looking around with it a little and clicked on their suggested sites and was amazed that there suggestion was to down load IE9 as it has "suggested sites" built in. So if you want Chrome to suggest a site go to IE and an older version at that. Now that's a seriously slim client; let your competitor carry the load.:):oldthumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After using Chrome for a while...the question that comes to me is: If something is made stupid, silly, or unintuitive by design; is that intelligent, smart or--- good enough for the customer base...?---or is the design so hidden in the over all plan that it is brilliant:questionwhite:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[QUOTE="timewerx,

I have used Chrome, FF, and IE. SRWare Iron gave me the best results. FF will likely work better with CF but I personally prefer Iron because it uses less internet resources than FF.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean internet resources or resources from your computer, or other viewing mechanisms, which would cause the bogging, type errors or crashes I've experienced?

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0