Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I see the university having a stronger case here.

1) The STATUS QUO.

2) Intolerance of any kind in this day and age will not be taken favorably.

3) There are other ways that Christians have gotten to gays without being "compelled" to put them down that are far more effective.

Upvote 0

hernyaccent

single black female addicted to retail
Dec 27, 2004
New York City
✟2,905.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
She does realize that these same rules that protect homosexuals from harrassment also protect christians from being harrassed? If everyone on a college campus is allowed to harrass everyone based on spiritual and religious beliefs they would have a war.

Upvote 0

hernyaccent

Dec 27, 2004
New York City
✟2,905.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
burrow_owl said:
Even the very obnoxious have a right to free speech, and hers was violated.

Except you don't have freedom of speech when acting as a representative of a college or university. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
hernyaccent said:
She does realize that these same rules that protect homosexuals from harrassment also protect christians from being harrassed? If everyone on a college campus is allowed to harrass everyone based on spiritual and religious beliefs they would have a war.

The extreme religious right has been fighting a war all along, the rest of the world simply hasn't taken much notice.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
hernyaccent said:
Except you don't have freedom of speech when acting as a representative of a college or university.
She wasn't. The legal issues here are pretty clear; she was reprimanded due to the content of her speech. Such conduct by the school (a state school) is unconstitutional.

Upvote 0

Ampoliros

I'm my own wireless hotspot
May 15, 2004
Mars - IN MY MIND!
✟9,685.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Voegelin said:

The article strikes me as a bit too jumbled - it bounces around between various topics.

Needless to say, if the woman is suing because the campus won't let her say things on-campus about homosexuals, she should win. As ridiculous as I think her views are, she does have the right to express them.

However, if she's complaining that she cannot speak out against homosexuality as a member of a club or organization, then she's wrong. She has the right to say all she wants whenever she wants - but speaking as an official representative of the university, she should most certainly follow the rules or can have her group's funding pulled.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A member of a club isn't a representative of the school for first amendment purposes; they retain the right to speak freely.

(in keeping with this, a school can't discriminate on the basis of the views of the club when deciding whether to allow the club a charter)

If the girl isn't lying about what happened (a huuuuuuge "if", imho), she wins easily. Even nutjobs have rights to free speech.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hernyaccent

Dec 27, 2004
New York City
✟2,905.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
burrow_owl said:
She wasn't. The legal issues here are pretty clear; she was reprimanded due to the content of her speech. Such conduct by the school (a state school) is unconstitutional.
She has the right to say whatever she pleases. However, if she is doing so as a representative of a school sponsered organization she has every right to be reprimanded.My best friend is president of the GSA @ his community college and even though he is 21 when they are on group outtings he can't drink. Point being there are certain rules to come with representing any school in a public manner.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Schools can certainly regulate conduct, Herny, as long as it's done in a reasonable fashion that's applied evenly (for example, they may require certain people to "act as a school diplomat" or something).

They can't regulate speech, though. For instance, they couldn't prevent your friend from advocating a lowered drinking age.

Note also that your friend's conduct is regulated when he's acting as a representative of the school. That's a different thing altogether from a blanket ban on drinking, which would certainly be unconstitutional.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why can't this woman and others like her comprehend you don't get to "teach" others to act according to your personal interpretation of the Christian faith?

It's ironic though that she sent a letter from a college political club berating those who organized coming out week by saying

"If gays want to be tolerated, they should knock off the political propaganda," the letter said.

Using her student political club to protest homosexuality and telling gay students not to politicize the issue is rather amusing.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,665.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are codes of conduct such as this on every campus I have been to.

At mine it was called "safe zone"

What this meant is that rules similar to what are listed in the article were applied whenever you were inside any building. Outside, however was a different matter. We had anti-homosexual preachers and everything come through. Of course, they didn't go over well with the students, and free-speech is a 2 way street. Many of them got flat out blasted, mostly by Christians too.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟26,423.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Voegelin said:
Christians should win this case hands down.

Given that there are large numbers of Christains on both side of this, it would be more accurate to say that some Christains will win and other Christains will loose.

You do realize that it would be largely Christains who set the policies at that school?

Upvote 0