Christians please boycott evolution threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveYeshua

Dec 6, 2005
The Midwest
Visit site
✟927.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I'm asking christians to boycott evolution threads, for the following reasons.

1) The people who are pro-evolution are not going to change their stance.
2) Nor are those who are opposed to evolution.
3) And if they might change their views, there are plenty of threads for them to review the evidence already.
4) This issue has been discussed to death. It has become a major waste of time to the christian community. There's a reason we're not supposed to cast our pearls before swine.
5) Those who love to argue the pro-evolution side of the issue are only trying to stumble those who believe God's account of events, and they feed upon the controversy. The more time you feed them, the happier they are.
6) Honestly, set the filter to show every message ever posted on this subject. Isn't that enough? Hasn't a stand been made already? Focus rather on fellowship with the willing.

depthdeception

Jun 8, 2005
✟4,804.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
ILoveYeshua said:

3) And if they might change their views, there are plenty of threads for them to review the evidence already.
4) This issue has been discussed to death. It has become a major waste of time to the christian community. There's a reason we're not supposed to cast our pearls before swine.
5) Those who love to argue the pro-evolution side of the issue are only trying to stumble those who believe God's account of events, and they feed upon the controversy. The more time you feed them, the happier they are.
6) Honestly, set the filter to show every message ever posted on this subject. Isn't that enough? Hasn't a stand been made already? Focus rather on fellowship with the willing.

So therefore you have concluded that it is impossible to be a Christian who believes in evolution? How definitive of you, given the ambiguity of the issues...

Upvote 0

sampson x

Supreme Commander of the Paralytic Army
Dec 21, 2004
Indiana
✟5,603.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
depthdeception said:
So therefore you have concluded that it is impossible to be a Christian who believes in evolution? How definitive of you, given the ambiguity of the issues...

He means the issue of Evolution vs. Creationism, not against Evolution itself, I think. I hope.

And, I agree, to a point. Discussing the general points of Evolution and/or Creationism isn't going to get most people anywhere, and perhaps one to four threads should be designated for them. Specifics within each theory, however, I think should be up for debate, because people are much more willing to change their stance on small, new things that turn up.

-sampson x

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ILoveYeshua said:

1. You can't prove #1 definitively. And its not about them anyway.
2. You can't prove #2 definitively. And its not about them anyway.
3. But why ask anyone to silence themselves if they have something to add or a question to ask?
4. This particular issue of which you speak remains unresolved. And the same can be said to hundreds of other topics on CF. By your logic, CF should be shut down.
5. This is quite an accusation. Can you prove it? I, for one, want no one to stumble in their faith. If, however, anyone of us can provide the opportunity for another to see something new that wasn't seen before, or to reach an understanding that was previously a mystery, well, then, that's something to celebrate, isn't it?
6. Enough is a measure that is best set by the limits of one's own discipline. If one feels that discussing or debating this issue is somehow interfering with one's faith, or even beginning to become a sin, then one must decide that for oneself in prayerful counsel with the Lord.

Upvote 0

FreezBee

Veteran
Nov 1, 2005
Southern Copenhagen
✟1,704.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
chaoschristian said:
5. This is quite an accusation. Can you prove it? I, for one, want no one to stumble in their faith. If, however, anyone of us can provide the opportunity for another to see something new that wasn't seen before, or to reach an understanding that was previously a mystery, well, then, that's something to celebrate, isn't it?

True, there are actually many Christian evolutionists in CF, and I've seen them argue that there is no contradiction between accepting the theory of evolution and the Christian faith. I try to follow that line myself as best I can - and also to show that some creationists, while claiming to follow the Bible, don't do it all.

There is no controversy between being Christian and accepting the theory of evolution. Charles Darwin was a believer, when he wtote "The Origin of Species", though he did become an agnostic later :)

- FreezBee

Upvote 0

SBG

Jan 28, 2005
✟8,655.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Republican
FreezBee said:
True, there are actually many Christian evolutionists in CF, and I've seen them argue that there is no contradiction between accepting the theory of evolution and the Christian faith. I try to follow that line myself as best I can - and also to show that some creationists, while claiming to follow the Bible, don't do it all.

There is no controversy between being Christian and accepting the theory of evolution. Charles Darwin was a believer, when he wtote "The Origin of Species", though he did become an agnostic later :)

- FreezBee

I feel it is quite judgemental to state that some creationists don't follow the Bible at all. It isn't just some creationists, it's all people.

We have all fallen short of the glory of God. Not just creationists.

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I saw this posted over at C&E and truly wish you would have modified your post for Origins Theology forum because the two are far from alike. Since I haven't seen you around here before, you might be surprised to find out that many, if not most, Christians here are evolutionists. Will this now change what you intended to say?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I happen to agree that evolutionists won't change their minds and that this has been done to death. Still, I can't help but identify with creationists who want to jump into the controversy. I would strongly encourge any creationist to discern the difference between evolution as science and evolution as suppostion. Evolution is not the enemy, it's the arguments of science falsely so called;

[BIBLE]1 Timothy 6:20[/BIBLE]

I personally would never tell a Christian not to explore science or the creation/evolution controversy. I can tell you from personal experience that it can be very contentious and it's hard to maintain a Christian attitude when engaging in these debates. I have seen one Creationist after another run off the Creation/Evolution board and I really hate that. I don't accept the single common ancestor model but if not for the debates I had in those forums I probably would not have learned as much as I did about Biology.

The life sciences are growing by leaps and bounds, I can't believe that Creationists aren't more excited that their convictions are confirmed in science. Instead of debating personal opinions we really should be exploring the natural world in the spirit of discovery.

I'm coming to the point where I really don't care anymore about this controversy. I am deeply concerned however, about how Christians treat one another in these debates. You can trust God for your own salvation but you can't trust Him to put the proper convictions in the heart of another believer? That does not make any sense to me.

Ok, I'm going to step down from my soapbox now. I just thought it was important to realize that while we may not approve of one anothers convictions we are ultimatly judged for our own conduct. It's not them wretches out there that we should be worried about, it's the wretch in us that should worry us the most.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'd agree that "it's the wretch in us that should worry us the most." But I don't agree that it's impossible for people to change their orientation on this issue. I have seen at least one go from evolution to YECism (if I recall correctly) and one from YECism to evolution :p ...

Upvote 0
D

disciple777

depthdeception said:

Before answering the question, we must define who is a christian. For many those who go to Church on Sundays are Christians. Others are born to Christian parents and so they are Christians. Then, there are those who do charity in the name of christ. They claim to be christians. It is not what I think, you think or Everybody thinks that defines a christian. It is what God thinks that defines a Christian. Christian is one who 1) accepts Christ as personal saviour. 2) follows Christ 3)accepts Bible as the Word of God 4) imitates Christ. If a person does all the four, then he is a True Christian. Christianity is not for a Casual church goer. It is for the serious follower of Christ. A Dog sitting in a garage does not become a car.

If a person is a Christian in the true sense, there is no way he can accept Evolution as a fact. To such a person, Bible is irrelevant. Either a person believes the entire Bible or nothing at all. No one can accept every part of the Bible except Genesis and still claim to be a christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
disciple777 said:
If a person is a Christian in the true sense, there is no way he can accept Evolution as a fact. To such a person, Bible is irrelevant. Either a person believes the entire Bible or nothing at all. No one can accept every part of the Bible except Genesis and still claim to be a christian.

Christians that accept evolution as a valid science also accept Genesis. To say otherwise is false witness.

I am a true Christian by your 4 points. I am a true Christian who accepts evolution as a valid explanation for what we see in creation.

Upvote 0

tamtam92

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
disciple777 said:

you know i'm a YEC, but i disagree on that point. I'd just let it to God to judge who is a christian and who is not. Why some christians believe in evolution is a mystery to me, but it doesn't mean they're not christians. The pression is very hard on all of us to take evolution as a fact.

I can accept some christians as brothers & sisters even when i think they're wrong. I know the devil is working hard to blind us on many subjects. For those who are wrong, i pray that God will open their eyes - i know they won't regret it - and i hope he will open my eyes to my own errors too.

I don't like evolution vs Creation threads with non-christians, because i find it very difficult to speak with non-christians on this subject. Doing it in real life is sufficient for me. They always have the same questions, same objections, and eventually their problem is only they don't believe in God, and often don't want a God.

I've been in this forum for a short while, but before then i would have thought there was less christian evolutionnists. Finding so much of them taught me 1. how naive i am and 2. the power of science - anything labelled 'science' becomes 'truth'.

Upvote 0

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Welcome tamtam92 (BTW what the 92 in reference to?)

tamtam92 said:
I can accept some christians as brothers & sisters even when i think they're wrong. I know the devil is working hard to blind us on many subjects. For those who are wrong, i pray that God will open their eyes - i know they won't regret it - and i hope he will open my eyes to my own errors too.
All of us can benefit from that. :amen:
tamtam92 said:
I don't like evolution vs Creation threads with non-christians, because i find it very difficult to speak with non-christians on this subject. Doing it in real life is sufficient for me. They always have the same questions, same objections, and eventually their problem is only they don't believe in God, and often don't want a God.
That is so right!
tamtam92 said:
I've been in this forum for a short while, but before then i would have thought there was less christian evolutionnists. Finding so much of them taught me 1. how naive i am and 2. the power of science - anything labelled 'science' becomes 'truth'.
This was my same impression when I first got here. I was naive as to how many Christians believed in evolution and had no idea what power science held in the Christian community.

Once again welcome. :clap:

Reactions: tamtam92
Upvote 0

ThaiDuykhang

Jan 9, 2006
✟8,005.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think the forum should be closed. let Christians taking evolution as science instead of religion come here and see how scientific evolution is.

If a TE takes evolution as science, one evidence against evolution is enough to turn him to the Bible. If a TE takes evolution as religion, even a relevation from God won't make him repent (or "switch side" that's a politically correct saying).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.