Christians fighting in evil armies...(any)

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not agree that it is the duty of Christians to torture, terrorize and fight unjust wars which basically means join any military force.

I see Trump in the US apparently saying he will torture again, and gladly -- asap. What is with these radio preachers and others who claim we ought to fight for 'our' country?

Maybe someone will defend that here....?

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I do not agree that it is the duty of Christians to torture, terrorize and fight unjust wars which basically means join any military force.

I see Trump in the US apparently saying he will torture again, and gladly -- asap. What is with these radio preachers and others who claim we ought to fight for 'our' country?

I'm entirely in agreement. If there is one faith on the planet which SHOULD decry all violence and violence related activity or objects (be they officially sanctioned or otherwise), it's Christianity. The faith demanding peace on earth and good will to all humans.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
War is the failure of peace. How does it happen? Those of us who name the Name of Jesus resort to war to settle our differences. We look to worldly solutions rather than His. Be that as it may, we've been driven into the hell-hole of war since we decided to do things our way in the Garden of Eden --- sin. We chose / continue to choose sin rather than His eternal blessing, peace.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
War is the failure of peace. How does it happen? Those of us who name the Name of Jesus resort to war to settle our differences.
?? Say what!? You kidding?

We look to worldly solutions rather than His. Be that as it may, we've been driven into the hell-hole of war since we decided to do things our way in the Garden of Eden --- sin. We chose / continue to choose sin rather than His eternal blessing, peace.
Who is we? The Prince of Peace is in us. In the world you will have tribulations, but be of good comfort...

Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Initiating violence and fighting defensively do not occupy the same moral ground. We cannot say that all fighting is morally equivalent.

The precept to turn the other cheek is obviously addressed to the individual - it uses a human body to illustrate the point. But the leader of a nation under attack cannot offer the nation and its people to the invaders. He would be encouraging mass murder. Such a "peace" is completely amoral and indifferent to the suffering of the innocent.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
War is the failure of peace. How does it happen? Those of us who name the Name of Jesus resort to war to settle our differences. We look to worldly solutions rather than His. Be that as it may, we've been driven into the hell-hole of war since we decided to do things our way in the Garden of Eden --- sin. We chose / continue to choose sin rather than His eternal blessing, peace.

Or you could choose to get rid of the guns and don't join the military. These things start at home.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just wars OK then? How about avoiding torture and war crimes?

Trump isn't a radio preacher, or any sort of spokesman for Christianity at all.
As for fighting for one's country - the Assyrian Christians didn't fight for theirs when ISIS took over, and look at where they're at now. They began to form militias after many were displaced, killed, or forced into captivity.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Initiating violence and fighting defensively do not occupy the same moral ground. We cannot say that all fighting is morally equivalent.
Perhaps you think destroying countries and drone terror, and torture is defensive?
The precept to turn the other cheek is obviously addressed to the individual - it uses a human body to illustrate the point. But the leader of a nation under attack cannot offer the nation and its people to the invaders.
Baloney!
If the people trust God they have no worries. Any evil forces that may take over would never last.

He would be encouraging mass murder. Such a "peace" is completely amoral and indifferent to the suffering of the innocent.
Oh? So what, Russia would mass murder the US folks if say Obama destroyed all nukes?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just wars OK then? How about avoiding torture and war crimes?
That won't do er. There are no just wars on earth far as I can see. Name a just war the US was involved in lately...or ever!?

Trump isn't a radio preacher, or any sort of spokesman for Christianity at all.
He claims to be a Presbyterian.

As for fighting for one's country - the Assyrian Christians didn't fight for theirs when ISIS took over, and look at where they're at now. They began to form militias after many were displaced, killed, or forced into captivity.
?? The Syrian Christians had a country? Which one!??

Syria itself is fighting Isis, with Russian help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That won't do er. There are no just wars on earth far as I can see. Name a just war the US was involved in lately...or ever!?
The Just War Theory actually has defined parameters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war_theory#Criteria_of_Just_War_theory

The Revolutionary War, the Civil War, and the two World Wars are examples of just wars fought by the US using these criteria. I'd have to study the others to see if they too meet the criteria.

He claims to be a Presbyterian.
Which doesn't make him a spokesman for that or any church.

?? The Syrian Christians had a country? Which one!??
The Assyrian Christians had a homeland. Some of it in Syria, some of it in Iraq (the Nineveh Plain, in particular). Same principle at work.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Notice the 'former'? Ha. Look at Rome also. God flushes over time.
It used to be majority Christian. Muslim invaders came, and it hasn't been majority Christian for a very long time. It doesn't appear that it will be again anytime soon. Evil has lasted there, though I am very sure that the generations that were conquered were trusting in God.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Just War Theory actually has defined parameters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war_theory#Criteria_of_Just_War_theory

The Revolutionary War, the Civil War, and the two World Wars are examples of just wars fought by the US using these criteria. I'd have to study the others to see if they too meet the criteria.
You really need to go back eh!?

Now if we asked the confederates which side was just what would they have said?

Which doesn't make him a spokesman for that or any church.
Yes it does. He says he is one.

The Assyrian Christians had a homeland. Some of it in Syria, some of it in Iraq (the Nineveh Plain, in particular). Same principle at work.
Maybe God allowed persecution for some reason that would work out for the better.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It used to be majority Christian. Muslim invaders came, and it hasn't been majority Christian for a very long time.
Hey how about the US and Europe?! Get in line.

It doesn't appear that it will be again anytime soon. Evil has lasted there, though I am very sure that the generations that were conquered were trusting in God.
Evil is not confined or defined just by a regime de jour.

Upvote 0