Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Something I've often pondered about.

Can we watch them?

I've seen countless movies, especially when I was a teen, countless horror movies, I possibly cannot name them all of what I've seen.

What are your thoughts?

(Fun fact: Alfred Hitchcock died with the Sacraments and a faithful Catholic, he possibly had Asperger's (did not understand social settings), and had a Catholic priest celebrate Mass inside his home).

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i've had 'enough horror' in life to try watch virtual horror, it really doesn't bring anything good to the spirit, some mistery or something for me is fine, some 'scary monster' is ok, But just an horror movie when everything revolves in trying to shock you with ugly stuff is not ok for me.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,311.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Western societies have absurdly high rates of various mental disorders - anxieties, panic attacks, OCD, depression...never seen before.

I do not think that the ugliness of TV/games production is the sole cause, but certainly contributing to it. It is estimated that by the age of 18, a child witnessed 40,000 murders in this way. In games, the child was even actively involved in the play. The similar applies to rape, occultism, demons, zombies, monsters etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Something I've often pondered about.

Can we watch them?

I've seen countless movies, especially when I was a teen, countless horror movies, I possibly cannot name them all of what I've seen.

What are your thoughts?

(Fun fact: Alfred Hitchcock died with the Sacraments and a faithful Catholic, he possibly had Asperger's (did not understand social settings), and had a Catholic priest celebrate Mass inside his home).
No, we should be really careful with any secular TV including some/most PG ones. We become what we are surrounded with, the meta-messages in secular TV is devastating to the Christian mind.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
No, we should be really careful with any secular TV including some/most PG ones. We become what we are surrounded with, the meta-messages in secular TV is devastating to the Christian mind.
Absolutely! You're right!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't watch them. I used to long ago but I understand the spiritual elements they're portraying and don't believe they're edifying. In other words, I don't need to see it to do my work or minister to the people I'm called to serve. That's how I weigh the things I watch.

* Is it edifying yes or no?
* If not, is it necessary for my mission?
* If yes, is it covered? This alleviates the flesh in the previous question.

By covered I'm implying engagement won't open a door or invite attacks. Everything has spiritual assignments. You don't want to do things that exacerbate problems or create new ones.

Horror movies are meant to deepen your attraction to that realm. They want you to look for haunted houses, summon spirits and practice magic. That's why it's there.

~bella

Upvote 0

ari.sketch

Aug 14, 2023
Daejeon
✟7,389.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wish I have not watched those horror movies I watched on Svengoolie last weekend. Going to church, praying helped. I pray the Lord will forgive me, but I mostly hurt myself, and my poor mom who could not avoid them because she needed to be in the den chair so she could sew. I hope mom will be ok. No more horror movies for me. I am going to be very careful about what I watch on TV see in movies and read in books from now on. I need to purify my mind. Horror movies pollute the mind. Perverted dirty, just sinful movies or tv in general or bad books are bad for the mind and spirit. We should have our entertainment be Christian and uplifting. Yeah, I know I did wrong and sinned. I normally don't like horror movies, now I realize why I normally don't watch them! Satan tempted me with curiosity. Need to be more vigilante.

Reactions: ari.sketch
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums