for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's not my interpretation of scripture. Its the meaning of the word in its context. Also, it says this in a multitude of places throughout the New Testament as well as the Old.

I would like to ask how one can claim to be having a relationship when one is acting directly contrary to what Christ said? Is this relationship real or simply hoped for?
hmmm... seeing as the idea came from a Jewish scholar, I'd venture to say he knew the context well. But what does he know? lol.

you didn't give the scripture that says what you are asserting (the not holy by breaking the first commandment).

the minute you come to Christ you are not incapable of sin. it is a growing process. if you sin no more, by all means, share with us how you became like Christ. I'd love to hear it (honest). if you do still sin then you are just like everyone else, right?

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's not my interpretation of scripture. Its the meaning of the word in its context. Also, it says this in a multitude of places throughout the New Testament as well as the Old.

I would like to ask how one can claim to be having a relationship when one is acting directly contrary to what Christ said? Is this relationship real or simply hoped for?
hmmm... seeing as the idea came from a Jewish scholar, I'd venture to say he knew the context well. But what does he know? lol.

you didn't give the scripture that says what you are asserting (the not holy by breaking the first commandment).

the minute you come to Christ you are not incapable of sin. it is a growing process. if you sin no more, by all means, share with us how you became like Christ. I'd love to hear it (honest). if you do still sin then you are just like everyone else, right?

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

moving so I can respond on the right page - grrr
Theology -
Some Latin authors, such as Tertullian and Augustine followed Varro's threefold usage (Varro influentially distinguished three forms of such discourse: mythical (concerning the myths of the Greek gods), rational (philosophical analysis of the gods and of cosmology) and civil (concerning the rites and duties of public religious observance).
In patristic Greek sources, theologia could refer narrowly to devout and inspired knowledge of, and teaching about, the essential nature of God.
In some medieval Greek and Latin sources, theologia (in the sense of "an account or record of the ways of God") could refer simply to the Bible.
In scholastic Latin sources, the term came to denote the rational study of the doctrines of the Christian religion, or (more precisely) the academic discipline which investigated the coherence and implications of the language and claims of the Bible and of the theological tradition (the latter often as represented in Peter Lombard's Sentences, a book of extracts from the Church Fathers).

so... which type of theological "opinion" are we using? Theology is not a science and is not a statement of truth persay. It is the rational utterance about God... (rational : comprehension, intelligent inference). Your inference and the inference of anyone else is no more valid than anothers. The Holy Spirit is the teacher... why not let Him be? If what you say IS truth, then Wiccan Pagan Christians will come to the same conclusion... won't they?

not the western one; to paraphrase an EO Saint, "... a true theologian is one who prays..."; right prayer is an attainment/grace/level for right theology; firther, theology can, in a sense be action. The measure of its 'rightness' is Christ; Christ is the 'plumb line', the 'canon'.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

not the western one; to paraphrase an EO Saint, "... a true theologian is one who prays..."; right prayer is an attainment/grace/level for right theology; firther, theology can, in a sense be action. The measure of its 'rightness' is Christ; Christ is the 'plumb line', the 'canon'.
I pray. How does this def. change what I say from what you say and pick one as right?

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I pray. How does this def. change what I say from what you say and pick one as right?

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Gnostic Sophia is just that Gnostic... without the word Saint... so it does not make sense Your statement is wrong.... You said it yourself "?Gnostic" then put Gnostic the word Agia is not attributed to her... but to the saint the actual person Sophia. Even if it was talking about Gnostic after Constantine it talked about the Holy wisdom of God...

This is the biblical base for Holy Wisdom of God... not the Gnostic...

It was St. Paul who asked: “Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.”

:confused: I am very confused about this line of argument. I thought the primary meaning of the phrase hagia sophia was "holy wisdom," not the name of a person who was canonized as a saint. Isn't the cathedral at Constantinople dedicated to "Holy Wisdom," rather than to a particular martyr? I thought that was the reason the geography textbooks no longer call the cathedral "Saint Sophia" as they did when I was in elementary school (back in the Dark Ages :pink: ) and instead either transliterate it as Hagia Sophia or translate it as Holy Wisdom. Am I incorrect?

I am finding this line of argumentation very confusing. Could you explain it?

It looks to me like you simply do not like religions other than Christianity using the Greek word hagia, but have no coherent argument, other than to claim the word as exclusively to be used as Christians use it.

The fact that other religions use some of the same words as Christianity is not intended to be insulting, and certainly not as ridicule. It is difficult to have a discussion about other religions if Christians claim exclusive rights to so much religious vocabulary. Since this forum is set aside for discussion of non-Christian religions, I think it's necessary to realize we have a common vocabulary, although different religions may have different nuances in mind when they use certain words.

Can we Christians please have enough respect for other religions to allow other religions to use and explain their own vocabulary?

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

right theology (prayer, worship, actions, demeanor, etc) is the fruit of right relationship with Christ; it is known through spiritual fruit, the outpouring of the Holy Spirit from one who has been healed, made whole in Christ.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
right theology (prayer, worship, actions, demeanor, etc) is the fruit of right relationship with Christ; it is known through spiritual fruit, the outpouring of the Holy Spirit from one who has been healed, made whole in Christ.
sure... but that does not keep one from being saved (i.e. believing in Christ) and all that comes from relationship (which is not related to salvation). ergo... people who do not have evidence of fruit in their lives CAN be saved and CAN be christian.

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Why are you changing the subject? Your last paragraph is an entirely different topic.

As for scripture, I'll quote it when I get home to my references.

Upvote 0

disasm

Jun 19, 2007
Howard, PA
Visit site
✟16,089.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But how do you pray. Do you pray unceasingly with the quietness of the mind that descends into the heart as the Hesychasts do? I'll be the first to admit I don't.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me the sinner.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moriah_Conquering_Wind

Mar 6, 2006
✟34,174.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You proved my point... about demoralization of a Christian right now ... thank you :)
it does not like to see you feel demoralized. but it asks you to consider what sufferings others have endured that cause them to produce the works you feel demoralize you. it asks you to read underneath the surface, beyond what might strike you as mockery or whatever, to the true heart beneath, to the true forge what birthed these devices upon the bleeding and broken backs of those your God has rejected from the paths of fulfillment and joy. We didn't just spit on Him and run out here to spite Him you know. Some of us sought and got turned away. Some of us sought and got raped and beaten and turned away. We all have our stories and we all have our ways to survive. Look into your own heart Philothei. Ask it if We bes truly your enemies.

Reactions: Crazy Liz
Upvote 0
T

Thekla

sure... but that does not keep one from being saved (i.e. believing in Christ) and all that comes from relationship (which is not related to salvation). ergo... people who do not have evidence of fruit in their lives CAN be saved and CAN be christian.
yes, as I said, "wrong theology" is not evidence of not being a Christian (which I think was the original question), nor is evidence that one will not or cannot be saved

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
Update-this thread will be remaining closed for multiple rule violations. There is a similar thread in NCR where the same topic can be discussed, but the staff consensus is that this one has too many violations to remain open.
Any questions, please PM me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.