Jun 13, 2007
✟15,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
8-2-2007

Christian Viewpoint Affirmed in Workplace

The federal government’s decision this week to drop its appeal of a case involving the free speech of a government employee is being hailed as a victory for Christians in the workplace.

Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) attorneys won a lower-court decision in March affirming an employee’s right to express his religious point of view regarding a charitable contributions program on a workplace bulletin board. Gary Lister, an employee at the Defense Logistics Agency’s Defense Supply Center in Columbus, Ohio, had been denied permission to post a flier warning that contributions to the charity fund would be used for ********** causes including abortion, promiscuity and the homosexual agenda.

Lister said he was told religious messages were not allowed. “This victory greatly protects the right for Mr. Lister and countless hundreds of other Christian employees to express their sincerely held views in the workplace,” ADF Senior Counsel Kevin Theriot said.
Bruce Hausknecht, judicial analyst for Focus on the Family Action, agreed.

“This case involves classic viewpoint discrimination prohibited by the First Amendment,” he said. “When an employer, even the federal government, voluntarily provides a forum like a bulletin board for the expression of viewpoints, it cannot forbid certain viewpoints that it does not like.”
http://www.citizenlink.org/CLBriefs/A000005173.cfm

SeraphymCrashing

Jun 21, 2007
✟16,161.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Frankly I think it was a mistake to not allow him to post the flier. It is contrary to the first amendment, and if anything the flier only helps show what kind of person he is. You know, one who really wants to force his morality onto other people, and prevent them from making choices that only affect them.

So let him post his flier, so I can know to ignore him.

Upvote 0

Lynden1000

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Orlando, Florida
✟3,628.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Frankly I think it was a mistake to not allow him to post the flier. It is contrary to the first amendment, and if anything the flier only helps show what kind of person he is. You know, one who really wants to force his morality onto other people, and prevent them from making choices that only affect them.

So let him post his flier, so I can know to ignore him.

I feel the same. If he wants to reveal his religious beliefs, fine. Then I know who to laugh at.

Upvote 0

SeraphymCrashing

Jun 21, 2007
✟16,161.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is good news.

The charity fund supporting questionable causes must be the United Way. As a Christian I refuse to contribute to it.
Actually I think it was just the local charity pool at the Defense Logistics Agency he worked at.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fidelis

Aug 6, 2007
✟15,167.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
This is good news.

The charity fund supporting questionable causes must be the United Way. As a Christian I refuse to contribute to it.
Yep the United Way supports groups I don't believe in like homosexual clubs and won't support groups I like.. Boy Scouts of America.

Don't support the United Way.

Upvote 0

Trevorocity

Jun 30, 2007
✟16,960.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yep the United Way supports groups I don't believe in like homosexual clubs and won't support groups I like.. Boy Scouts of America.

Good enough for me: *doubles giving to United Way* hope they're more charitable to you than you and your holier than thou ilk are to them; should you ever need their help.

;)

Upvote 0

SeraphymCrashing

Jun 21, 2007
✟16,161.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian

Do the boy scouts need money? I thought with all the support they are getting from churches and the US military that maybe united way is giving their funds to a needier group.

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“This case involves classic viewpoint discrimination prohibited by the First Amendment,” he said. “When an employer, even the federal government, voluntarily provides a forum like a bulletin board for the expression of viewpoints, it cannot forbid certain viewpoints that it does not like.”

That's some bad law right there. I hope the speaker was misquoted.

Upvote 0