Los Angeles Area
✟835,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
An evangelical broadcaster who boasted of miraculously securing a TV license in Israel now risks being taken off the air over suspicions of trying to convert Jews to Christianity.

... most Jews view any effort to convert them to Christianity as deeply offensive, a legacy of centuries of persecution and forced conversion at the hands of Christian rulers. In part because of those sensitivities, evangelical Christians, who generally believe salvation can only come through Jesus and preach the Gospel worldwide, rarely target Jews.

When “GOD TV,” an international Christian broadcaster, reached a seven-year contract earlier this year with HOT, Israel’s main cable provider, it presented itself as producing content for Christians.

But in a video message that has since been taken down, GOD TV CEO Ward Simpson suggested its real aim was to convince Jews to accept Jesus as their messiah. The channel, known as “Shelanu,” broadcast in Hebrew even though most Christians in the Holy Land speak Arabic.

“God has supernaturally opened the door for us to take the Gospel of Jesus into the homes and lives and hearts of his Jewish people,” Simpson said in the video.

“They’ll watch secretly, they’ll watch quietly,” he added. “God is restoring his people, God is removing the blindness from their eyes.”

In a subsequent video, Simpson acknowledged that the channel was under investigation by Israeli authorities, saying that preaching about Jesus in Israel is a “very touchy subject.” He apologized for any offensive remarks and said GOD TV would comply with all regulations.

The Communications Ministry said it was investigating a “discrepancy” between the application for the license that was granted in March, which said the channel was focused on the Christian community, and its actual content, which appears to “target Jews and convince them that Jesus is the messiah.”

• Prayers
Reactions: ArmenianJohn

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟835,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Oh man, where are the evangelicals going to come down on this?

The article quotes several Christian reactions at the end. It seems like a lot of Christians working in Israel realize that proselytizing is a third rail they shouldn't touch.

At least one prominent evangelical supporter of Israel has criticized GOD TV for airing missionary content aimed at Jews, saying it encourages anti-Semitism.

“In recent decades, millions of Christians have felt the call to stand with the State of Israel and the Jewish people with no hidden agenda,” said Laurie Cardoza-Moore, a Tennessee-based evangelical who hosts a program called “Focus on Israel” that previously aired on GOD TV.

“Any attempts to convert Jews or downgrade their religion will only sow undue hatred at a time when we should unite in the face of darkness,” Cardoza-Moore said.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟561,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The article quotes several Christian reactions at the end. It seems like a lot of Christians working in Israel realize that proselytizing is a third rail they shouldn't touch.

At least one prominent evangelical supporter of Israel has criticized GOD TV for airing missionary content aimed at Jews, saying it encourages anti-Semitism.

“In recent decades, millions of Christians have felt the call to stand with the State of Israel and the Jewish people with no hidden agenda,” said Laurie Cardoza-Moore, a Tennessee-based evangelical who hosts a program called “Focus on Israel” that previously aired on GOD TV.

“Any attempts to convert Jews or downgrade their religion will only sow undue hatred at a time when we should unite in the face of darkness,” Cardoza-Moore said.

I was thinking more of the ones over here who are all about "coercive evangelism", who scream about this same sort of persecution happening in other countries (e.g. China), and who feel compelled to defend Israel at every turn.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh man, where are the evangelicals going to come down on this?

The ELCA, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as far as I know hasn't given an official position on evangelizing in the state of Israel. However, I find it somewhat ridiculous for a church to call itself Evangelical without ever evangelizing. IMO it is not evangelizing that is the problem but the method one uses and the attitude one takes while doing so.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

“They’ll watch secretly, they’ll watch quietly,” he added. “God is restoring his people, God is removing the blindness from their eyes.”

If that happens, it is time to gouge out my eyes.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,268,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The ELCA, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as far as I know hasn't given an official position on evangelizing in the state of Israel. However, I find it somewhat ridiculous for a church to call itself Evangelical without ever evangelizing. IMO it is not evangelizing that is the problem but the method one uses and the attitude one takes while doing so.

There's nothing about confessional Lutheran theology that actually requires proselytizing non-Christians.

Most Lutheran pastors I have interacted with take a dim view of proselytism, especially of Jews. Giving an account of your religion is one thing, but trying to manipulate somebody else into giving up their own in favor of yours, doesn't seem like it really jives with a strict Lutheran confessionalism

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,268,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Here is an article on this by a Jewish believer in Jesus who not only is sensitive to anti-Semitism committed by those who claimed Christ, but wrote a book on it.

Jews welcome evangelical love, money and influence for Israel. But call our Christianity 'poison'?

That's not surprising, considering the history between Christians and Jews. And outside of certain Israeli politicians, most Jews have no particular affinity for Evangelical Christians. The religions are very different in their tone and emphasis, and share little in common aside from some very basic background stories.

And part of being Jewish, at least since the late ancient period, has been rejecting the notion that Jesus could be the messiah (as he did not do the things that it is believed the Messiah should do). I know Christians don't like to hear it, but it's not obvious to everyone how Jesus fulfills messianic prophecies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's not surprising, considering the history between Christians and Jews. And outside of certain Israeli politicians, most Jews have no particular affinity for Evangelical Christians. The religions are very different in their tone and emphasis, and share little in common aside from some very basic background stories.

And part of being Jewish, at least since the late ancient period, has been rejecting the notion that Jesus could be the messiah (as he did not do the things that it is believed the Messiah should do). I know Christians don't like to hear it, but it's not obvious to everyone how Jesus fulfills messianic prophecies.
He's been evangelizing to his fellow Jews for years, and is well aware of this. He debates rabbis. I learned some of this from books he has written.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,268,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
He's been evangelizing to his fellow Jews for years, and is well aware of this. He debates rabbis. I learned some of this from books he has written.

There have always been people who convert to another religion, of course, that is nothing new, even if it is relatively uncommon. And that is exactly what "Messianic Judaism" is, another religion, and not Judaism.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Here is an article on this by a Jewish believer in Jesus who not only is sensitive to anti-Semitism committed by those who claimed Christ, but wrote a book on it.

Jews welcome evangelical love, money and influence for Israel. But call our Christianity 'poison'?
And they are fully aware that right-wing Evangelical support for the state of Israel is not based on concern for the Jews, but on the role Israel is supposed to play in their eschatological fantasies.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,268,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

It's an uneasy relationship at best, that a few take advantage of opportunistically.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing about confessional Lutheran theology that actually requires proselytizing non-Christians.

Most Lutheran pastors I have interacted with take a dim view of proselytism, especially of Jews. Giving an account of your religion is one thing, but trying to manipulate somebody else into giving up their own in favor of yours, doesn't seem like it really jives with a strict Lutheran confessionalism

LCMS, meanwhile, actually circulated a series of pamphlets about a decade or so back that consisted of the usual "anyone who doesn't believe like we do is wrong, if not going to Hell" pamphlets.

An LCMS-affiliated church where I live held a charity rummage sale one year in their activity hall, and when I went in there was an entire rack of these by the door.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟279,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
And part of being Jewish, at least since the late ancient period, has been rejecting the notion that Jesus could be the messiah (as he did not do the things that it is believed the Messiah should do).

Is believing in God part of being Jewish? Plenty of Jews don't...

Upvote 0