✟10,805.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi all,

I always liked to listen to the Russian Christian metal band Chorny Kofe (Black Coffee). Then I was looking around on the lead singer's VKontakte profile and I saw he likes some secular metal bands, nothing wrong with that. But I saw he also likes Black Sabbath and I remember reading somewhere their music is wrong. Then a question came into my mind; if the music of the Christian band is influenced by the music of the secular band, makes that the Christian band also wrong and is it bad to listen to that band? I'm not sure about this, because then you can't listen to almost any band anymore because you just don't know who influenced their music. Maybe you guys can help me :)

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jorn

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I think the worry that they might be influenced by black Sabbath falls to you in the end. IE, Black Sabbath would influence the band while the band would influence you.

A good test of a band you are not certain about is how it leaves you when you listen to it. Music moves you. Does it bring out good things in you or bad things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I used to listen to a lot of Christian Metal / Hardcore (Living Sacrifice, Crimson Moonlight etc.) and just music in general Deftones, Type O Negative, Crowbar etc. I just don't care about music anymore and I'm over it all.

I "Try" to just listen to Eastern Orthodox Hymns now:

Reactions: Jorn
Upvote 0

Jorn

Nov 15, 2018
Elsloo
✟10,805.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well I think the worry that they might be influenced by black Sabbath falls to you in the end. IE, Black Sabbath would influence the band while the band would influence you.

The good test of a band you are not certain about is how it leaves you when you listen to it. Music moves you. Does it bring out good things in you or bad things.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

It doesn't bring out bad things I think. Their music is not super heavy so it's kinda relaxing to listen to. Btw, there is nothing wrong with their lyrics, as they're Christian. The only thing that could be influenced by Black Sabbath is the sound I think.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, thanks for your reply.

It doesn't bring out bad things I think. Their music is not super heavy so it's kinda relaxing to listen to. Btw, there is nothing wrong with their lyrics, as they're Christian. The only thing that could be influenced by Black Sabbath is the sound I think.

There is more to think about than just the lyrics. Because of Black Sabbaths lyrics we can speak objectively that it's going to be antagonistic to a Christian lifestyle. But there is also a subjective component in that any stimulus will have meaning, but the meaning is not intrinsic to the thing. A single piece of art may evoke calm in one person and vengeful anger in another. There can be nothing wrong about the nature of the art work but it can still be bad for some people to own. I can listen to Petra all day long but I have to limit my listening of demon Hunter or it will make me melancholy. I have to self manage even Christian music to make sure I am not being moved in ways I don't want to go.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember back in the day - new converts would immediately have a distaste for certain music. We used to play frisbee with LP's in the park. (not a recommended activity for safety reasons)

One thing that is rarely taught is the redemption of our tastes.

It is as if we have a right to like this and not like that.

How about taking your tastes captive to the obedience of Christ.

It may surprise you what passions will fade away.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all,

I always liked to listen to the Russian Christian metal band Chorny Kofe (Black Coffee). Then I was looking around on the lead singer's VKontakte profile and I saw he likes some secular metal bands, nothing wrong with that. But I saw he also likes Black Sabbath and I remember reading somewhere their music is wrong. Then a question came into my mind; if the music of the Christian band is influenced by the music of the secular band, makes that the Christian band also wrong and is it bad to listen to that band? I'm not sure about this, because then you can't listen to almost any band anymore because you just don't know who influenced their music. Maybe you guys can help me :)

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jorn

Hi Jorn,

From my viewpoint, I think a person can listen to Christian metal without having a major blowout of conscience. Secular metal is a different matter, but I know the band Stryper has often spoken of their secular metal influences, and they've even done an album of covers from those secular influences (...one of the cover songs they've done is from Black Sabbath [as below]).

However, if a Christian so chooses to listen to secular metal rather than Christian metal, I'd suggest he do it by evaluating carefully as to why a certain album or song will be listened to and not just do it passively, being mindful of the context and the message of what is being sung about. I'd also suggest that as Christians, we try to spread our interests beyond just metal music alone ... :cool:

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We used to play frisbee with LP's in the park. (not a recommended activity for safety reasons)

That's funny, because in college I had a friend who hadn't been a Christian very long, and he decided to get rid of some of his pre-Christian music CDs, so we played Frisbee in a parking lot at night with them until they got frightfully jagged. They never flew straight. They flew straight up into the darkness, and we never knew where those plastic ninja stars would hit ground.

Two or three years after that, he was well into his old lifestyle. Getting rid of the music didn't help anything, apparently.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I listen to mostly Contemporary Christian music. I have certain secular songs that I like that I have copies of; but the lyrics of them are pretty benign. Some of them are country music songs, some "classic rock". I don't listen to heavy metal per say; but there are some Stryper songs I like.

As per you question about the impact of the sound on you. I don't notice that unless it makes me anxious. If the "music" crosses the barrier into "annoying"; I got to shut it off. I don't care what they lyrics are, or even if there are lyrics.

I was in art class one day and one student brought in this really weird instrumental music. To me it just sounded like random noise; there was very little musical structure to it as an art and after about 10 minutes I said to the teacher: "I feel like I'm about to have a panic attack, can we shut this off." She said: "yeah, it's starting to annoy me too."

So that's how I judge music. How does it affect my emotions and my nervous system. And there are times that may vary. I mean I like bagpipe music, but I couldn't listen to that long term either. LOL

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,843.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing wrong with taking influences specifically from the music of another band. Music by itself is neither good or bad (in terms of morality, not quality), and it's the lyrical content which may or may not be appropriate.

And there's no definitive answer as to whether Christians should listen to secular music. It really comes down to a personal conviction, and if you feel that it's going to affect your faith negatively then you shouldn't listen to it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be a problem for another person.

As to whether you should only listen to Christian music that's been influenced by Christian artists, again that's a decision you have to make for yourself. I don't think it's a particularly practical one however, as finding out someone's influences is difficult in the first place, and even if their influences seem OK then you should probably be checking out who influenced those influences, and if you're keep on going down the line like that you're going to hit some secular influences at some point.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone remember the band 'no longer music' they has a tremendous impact mainly in Eastern Europe - while their 'music' was somewhat 'other' their outreach to the unsaved was profound. David and Jody Pierce, I named one of my children after them.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't endorse all of Black Sabbath's songs. There are some that I refuse to listen to. There are others however, that are not wrong to listen to which are simply brilliant. I really don't know how a metalhead can not like Black Sabbath's music.

Now, to answer your other question - if it were to be "yes" then you would need to throw away quite a few old-time church hymns as well. Many of them were inspired by secular music of their times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RageOfAngels

Sep 1, 2017
Sussex
✟43,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I love some of Jorn Landes stuff, but I don't like the lyrics, so I tend to not listen to him/them at all (or very rarely). For me there is enough good Christian bands out there to keep my interest going. This year there's some good stuff on the way...

Disciple! Skillet! Impellitteri! Sacred Warrior! Stairway! Rage Of Angels (yes THAT one!), Saint, Detritus, Trytan and Omega Highway are all writing new stuff.

Upvote 0

BFT

Nov 12, 2019
York
✟11,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the most confusing things in life is being a musician with original music & being a believer but doing better with the music in the secular world. I had to change our genre from Christian to rock. The thing is..i never changed...very strong faith..just like to write about real life. 3 yr hiatus as wife(singer) suffered a brain injury when we were hit & run. Have about 30 new songs done 26 in studio & now 4 at home after learning to record a lil better. Not sure where God is leading.. could be just go...maybe try some church concerts..some outreach...sponsor original band shows who knows...

Upvote 0