Christian Holy Days/Holidays (Messianic Christian)

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
No. I'm assuming that there are certain days that you celebrate as a holiday/holy day because of your relationship with the Christ. For some it may be Christmas and Easter. Others might include Passover or Pentecost. Still others think of different festivals of people they term saints. Different people have different lists for a variety of reasons. I'm curious what your list is and in particular which of those days you consider MAJOR, and how you go about celebrating them?

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
No. I'm assuming that there are certain days that you celebrate as a holiday/holy day because of your relationship with the Christ. For some it may be Christmas and Easter. Others might include Passover or Pentecost. Still others think of different festivals of people they term saints. Different people have different lists for a variety of reasons. I'm curious what your list is and in particular which of those days you consider MAJOR, and how you go about celebrating them?

Lev. 24 gives the list of the major festivals. Many MJs celebrate Chanukkah because Yeshua celebrated it also and many celebrate Purim.
How we go about it is too broad and involved. One at a time maybe would be more easily handled.
Just as an FYI, the next one coming up is Purim, then Passover which includes Matza and FirstFruits.
I, personally do not celebrate Christmas and I do not recognize Easter. I celebrate the Resurrection on the 3rd day after Passover.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
hi. i keep the Messiah's sabbath every seventh day, and new moon day every month.. and i think these are major.. a major relief! :)

I'm always happy to hear someone understands that Hashem didn't do away with His appointed times!!
Good for you!!
It's in these appointed times that we will see the future played out.

Upvote 0

Missingno

Mar 16, 2011
USA
✟15,168.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Ever wonder when Christmas REALLY happened and reject Iraneus' view?

Consider this. John the Baptist's father was of the Priestly division of Abijah. His son was prophecied while he served in the temple (the month of Tammuz) concieved when he returned. 6 months later Mary concieved, 9 months later Jesus was born. This would mean he would be born immediately AFTER the month of Tishrei.

That would place his birth in early November or late October. (assuming he wasn't premature, and assuming john the baptist was conceived immediately upon his father's return)

I like to hold Good Friday during Passover as the last supper was a passover sadr and the resurrection the sunday following. (if you ever did the math this means good Friday happened on a Wednesday)

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,501.44
Faith
Messianic
Ever wonder when Christmas REALLY happened and reject Iraneus' view?

Consider this. John the Baptist's father was of the Priestly division of Abijah. His son was prophecied while he served in the temple (the month of Tammuz) concieved when he returned. 6 months later Mary concieved, 9 months later Jesus was born. This would mean he would be born immediately AFTER the month of Tishrei.

That would place his birth in early November or late October. (assuming he wasn't premature, and assuming john the baptist was conceived immediately upon his father's return)

I like to hold Good Friday during Passover as the last supper was a passover sadr and the resurrection the sunday following. (if you ever did the math this means good Friday happened on a Wednesday)
Would you like a good bible study on the subject?

What day was Jesus born?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 25, 2011
✟7,633.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I like to observe the moh-ay-deem of Vah-YIHK-rah (Leviticus) 23, Khan-nook-KAH, Purim and the national holidays of America. For me, Christmas is no longer Jesus' birthday; it's a fun day to give presents and watch yuletide TV shows and movies. I observe bihk-koo-REEM on yohm ree-SHOHN after PEH-sak, but I grouse out loud (but NOT loudly!) at the store about the Ishtar bunny popping out colored chicken eggs to celebrate the resurrection of Yay-SHOO-uh, MEH-lek Yees-rah-AYL, when the symbol YHVH ah-VEE-noo gave was the oh-MAYR of grain. Has anyone else noticed that the things of God-given by God-stay God-centered, but "holy" things or days and the like that men create--EVEN if these start out lifting up the Savior--degenerate into secular stuff, ie: candy cane, Christmas tree, St. Nicholas, WWJD bracelets, Easter, etc?

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I like to observe the moh-ay-deem of Vah-YIHK-rah (Leviticus) 23, Khan-nook-KAH, Purim and the national holidays of America. For me, Christmas is no longer Jesus' birthday; it's a fun day to give presents and watch yuletide TV shows and movies. I observe bihk-koo-REEM on yohm ree-SHOHN after PEH-sak, but I grouse out loud (but NOT loudly!) at the store about the Ishtar bunny popping out colored chicken eggs to celebrate the resurrection of Yay-SHOO-uh, MEH-lek Yees-rah-AYL, when the symbol YHVH ah-VEE-noo gave was the oh-MAYR of grain. Has anyone else noticed that the things of God-given by God-stay God-centered, but "holy" things or days and the like that men create--EVEN if these start out lifting up the Savior--degenerate into secular stuff, ie: candy cane, Christmas tree, St. Nicholas, WWJD bracelets, Easter, etc?

One little aside here: Reading your version of first-grade transliteration is really difficult. 95% of the people on this forum can read actual transliteration perfectly with no break-down, the other 5% can read the actual Hebrew.
Avinu or omer are so much easier to read in a paragraph. Thanks. (Will probably be easier for you too to not have to type out all those elongated versions!!)

Upvote 0

Emet979

Friendly Newbie
Dec 4, 2011
USA
✟7,646.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yedida, I think he should have put those words in Hebrew causing us to go to a translator to figure them out. the transliteration is not a help, if you want to learn it is best to learn to read the Hebrew and then see the translate to English and skip the transliteration. IMO

I didn't read his full post because of his transliteration, and when I looked at it finally not really reading it, I saw he uses G-d's proper name which even Yeshua did not use. He is one of those that are not afraid to say the Name of G-d in his topics. I forget the name of the group. Anyway, I thought he might be one of them.

Upvote 0

Emet979

Friendly Newbie
Dec 4, 2011
USA
✟7,646.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My apologies for asking this question in mutliple places on the board, but I am curious if the answer might vary based on denominational differences.

What do you consider to be the MAJOR Christian holidays? Briefly describe how you celebrate each one.

My thoughts on this topic is there should not be "Christian Holidays" for any denomination. There should only be the Biblical appointed times. I do not think God would approve of Christmas or Easter as it is celebrated by Christianity as a whole, with the trappings that are out there. A lot of the celebrating that is done is not really done for God but for the children. I have seen people that know the truth, forsake the trappings and then because of a grandchild take up the trappings again. My husband and I do not celebrate either of those anymore.
I know this is not about the topic but Christmas is about spending money and Easter is about candy, Period.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
My thoughts on this topic is there should not be "Christian Holidays" for any denomination. There should only be the Biblical appointed times. I do not think God would approve of Christmas or Easter as it is celebrated by Christianity as a whole, with the trappings that are out there. A lot of the celebrating that is done is not really done for God but for the children. I have seen people that know the truth, forsake the trappings and then because of a grandchild take up the trappings again. My husband and I do not celebrate either of those anymore.
I know this is not about the topic but Christmas is about spending money and Easter is about candy, Period.

I disagree with your conclusion that Christmas is about spending money or that Easter is about candy "period." I don't debate that many get involved in those activities. But that doesn't make them about those things, it only means that many people do not understand what these holy days are actually about and abuse them to other ends than there actual purpose.

Upvote 0

Emet979

Friendly Newbie
Dec 4, 2011
USA
✟7,646.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am getting off your main topic. And I think you got your answer from most that post in here. If I comment anymore on Christian holidays I think I better start a new thread about that.
Maybe Christmas and Easter is not all about money and candy but they are very high on the charts over Yeshua and His Word.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yedida, I think he should have put those words in Hebrew causing us to go to a translator to figure them out. the transliteration is not a help, if you want to learn it is best to learn to read the Hebrew and then see the translate to English and skip the transliteration. IMO

I didn't read his full post because of his transliteration, and when I looked at it finally not really reading it, I saw he uses G-d's proper name which even Yeshua did not use. He is one of those that are not afraid to say the Name of G-d in his topics. I forget the name of the group. Anyway, I thought he might be one of them.

I think you're thinking of the Sacred Namer's group. But, unfortunately, not everyone who uses the name belongs to that group, it would be much easier if they all did. I don't mind transliterations, I"l use them myself but I don't break up the words like that poster does.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am getting off your main topic. And I think you got your answer from most that post in here. If I comment anymore on Christian holidays I think I better start a new thread about that.
Maybe Christmas and Easter is not all about money and candy but they are very high on the charts over Yeshua and His Word.

Most MJ/Gs don't celebrate either of those holidays. I see nothing wrong in them, Yeshua can be worshipped and adored in them. All the hulabaloo over paganism is old and boring - it's common knowledge. And it's also common knowledge that God can take bad things and make very special things out of them - each one of us is a pretty good example of that.
I will listen to the Christmas hymns, get caught up in the good will to all spirit, it's a good time of the year - I just don't do the presents, trees, parties, etc,

Upvote 0