New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
MEDIA ADVISORY, Jan 9 /Christian Wire Service/ -- The litigation centers around the fact that eBay refuses to allow the African-American, Single mother of 3 youngsters to sell apparel and religious items on eBay because she does not have a credit card of checking account. Anthony Andolino, Executive Director of CCLU stated that the suit will request $100 Million Dollars in Damages.

http://www.earnedmedia.org/cclu0109.htm

Slightly excessive I think.

"Odd that it is easier to sue than to open a checking account and get a debit card. " a comment on the blog where i found this info, and very true.

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There are plenty of banks that give free checking accounts and debit cards. Off the top of my head, Commerce Bank, which is a pretty large bank.

And I love how the CCLU skewed the story, playing the 'religion' card. They are refusing to let her "sell apparel and religious items...."

They're trying to make it seem like eBay told her, "You can sell anything you want without a checking account or a debit card, EXCEPT FOR RELIGIOUS ITEMS AND CLOTHES, HAHA." She can't sell ANYTHING without these, not just religious items and clothes.

Silly people.

cameronw said:
...ACLU...
I think you mean the CCLU, the Christian Civil Liberties Union, because that's what it says in the article.

And, you're right, they do just waste the court's time.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
cameronw said:
They are obviously trying to make this a race issue when it doesn't have anything to do with race. Shame on this woman and the ACLU for wasting the courts valuable time.

-cw

It isn't the ACLU, they would never have taken the case I am sure it is the Christian Civil Liberties Union.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
cameronw said:
They are obviously trying to make this a race issue when it doesn't have anything to do with race. Shame on this woman and the ACLU for wasting the courts valuable time.

-cw

No no, you're confusing the ACLU with the Christians ones, who are making this a race issue. Shame on the CHRISTIAN civil liberties union.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,424.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
cameronw said:

-cw

LOL you're so republican you stick the ACLU in this story when it isnt even in there.

The elephants are crazed by rage!!!

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if they are going to claim that the website changed their policies because she is a Christian. I know that sounds weird, but honestly, with the persecution complex that some Christians have, I wouldn't be at all schocked that one someone would actually believe that.

Upvote 0

butterfoot

Formerly Known as cameronw
Dec 16, 2004
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mala said:
LOL you're so republican you stick the ACLU in this story when it isnt even in there.

The elephants are crazed by rage!!!

My bad I misread the story. All I saw was Civil LIberties Union. I totally missed the Christian part. Anyway I did change my original post but the meaning is still the same. The CCLU should in my opinion not be handling this case.

-cw

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
mhatten said:
MEDIA ADVISORY, Jan 9 /Christian Wire Service/ -- The litigation centers around the fact that eBay refuses to allow the African-American, Single mother of 3 youngsters to sell apparel and religious items on eBay because she does not have a credit card of checking account. Anthony Andolino, Executive Director of CCLU stated that the suit will request $100 Million Dollars in Damages.

http://www.earnedmedia.org/cclu0109.htm

Slightly excessive I think.

"Odd that it is easier to sue than to open a checking account and get a debit card. " a comment on the blog where i found this info, and very true.

You have no idea how hard it can be for someone without a steady income to get a banking account, not to mention a credit card!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
eldermike said:
Goggle "free checking" - result: 68,400,000 returns = Case thrown out!

Then I do not think you understand the term "free checking" There won't be any charges connected with account maintanace, but you still have to have a steady monthly income!

If you don't have that, as apparently this woman doesn't have = no checking/bank account!:doh:

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rochir said:
You have no idea how hard it can be for someone without a steady income to get a banking account, not to mention a credit card!

Not that hard, a 2 second search Free Online Checking returned several that I could sign up for online & open accounts.

Upvote 0

CaligulaNero

Veteran
Aug 25, 2005
South
✟17,185.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"You have no idea how hard it can be for someone without a steady income to get a banking account, not to mention a credit card"

There isn't some "right" to sell stuff on EBAY. For instance, you would be suprised how difficult it is to buy a house on the beach in Malibu without millions. SHould I sue the owners for not selling to me simply b/c I lack the funds?

Upvote 0

BeautyForAshes

Senior Veteran
Sep 19, 2004
Kansas
✟20,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
2 Things:

1. I've never heard of the CCLU. Interesting.....

2. This lady know she is WRONG for trying to sue. lol Getting a checking account is not that hard or unaccessable. Shoot, even Western Union offers an account very similiar to a checking account (except you just get a MC/Visa debit card - no checks).

Add this to the long laundry list of frivilous lawsuits that our country is famous for! :D

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Rochir said:

Au contraire mi ami I worked and managed at a bank for 16 years, I very much know what is required to get a bank account.

Getting a bank account in the US is not difficult, and you do not need to have a steady monthly income, you only need to have a minimum balance requirement at most and at least an opening deposit. A debit card is not a credit card.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.