✟15,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Hi,

I'm nearly 25 and had a Christian upbringing. Last year, I came to a point where I decided that I'd want to be a Christian out of my own choosing rather than simply because it was the religion on which I was raised. I'm not desperate to leave the faith or anything and if I find any comfort from it, I don't want it to be something akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Has anyone had any similar experience or thoughts like that? Maybe you have some advice?

Thanks.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Completely understandable. I was raised Catholic and I disliked how Confirmation took place before the age of 18. I know that the majority of teens in my program were not freely consenting, which makes it meaningless. In general, it was always assumed that we would grow up to be Catholic. There was no real opportunity to take the decision into our own hands. I was on the side that didn't want to identify as Christian anymore, but I'm sure it was frustrating for my peers who felt differently, as well.

Upvote 0

JojotheBeloved

Part of the Family
Apr 18, 2014
✟8,622.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm a little confused as to what you're asking. Do you or don't you want to be a Christian now? I'm assuming that you probably do, since you're struggling with it being your upbringing versus personal commitment, which seems like something you wouldn't struggle with if you were just giving up on it altogether. Thus, my response will be directed accordingly, but if I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

A Christian upbringing can be a great asset to one's life, but at some point everyone must make their own choice. Making this choice can be very different for different people. Some people just accept it quietly and keep going with life as they are used to, but with a conviction within their own hearts and minds to follow Christ. Others, like me, need a little more convincing. And still others need even more dramatic evidence. Whatever you need, I'm convinced that God desires to show you who He is and how much He wants to be in relationship with you! My own choice happened when I was a teenager, but it took a period of time and several tangible miracles in my life before I was convinced that God existed and that He loved me. It's taken even longer to not only accept Christ personally as my savior, but also to learn His Grace and Love in a personal way too. So don't be discouraged if it takes some time for you too. Don't be afraid to ask God to prove Himself to you. He promises over and over again throughout Scripture that "you will find me when you seek me with all your heart" (Jeremiah 29:13). He also says, "ask me for anything and I will do it" (John 14:14). So ask Him, challenge Him, and then watch to see what happens. Personal experiences build faith. So seek Christ and He will make Himself known to you.

Upvote 0
C

Chickadee3

It sounds as if you want to make sure you're a Christian because that's really what you believe, and not because it's a habit. What you might do now is start to study your faith. Look at the history of Christianity and study in-depth its theology. Really understand what it teaches, and where those teachings came from. Compare that to your own beliefs. Do they match up? If not, what are you struggling with?

Doing a critical examination of your faith can really cement it, because then it becomes your own, rather then simply the legacy of your upbringing.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This is what I went through, although I wasn't aware of it at the time.

The version of Christianity I grew up in did not suit me, and caused me so much trouble that I rejected it outright in favor of agnostic atheism. Eventually, I came back on my own to (a very different kind of) Christianity.

I feel happy in my decision, because this time I got to choose what felt right for me :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeautifulLove

Jun 16, 2014
USA
✟15,240.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The moment you become "Christian" if when you accept that Jesus died for our sins.

I had a very difficult situation with someone questioning my faith recently in regards to this. I told him how I grew up always knowing Jesus and God and how I trust in them fully. For some reason he didn't see this as an implied belief that YES I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins, of course!

I think it can be different for people. If you "grew up" a Christian or were baptized when you were younger you are a Christian if you believe Jesus is your savior. Some people only accept this much later in their life which is fine! However, even if you "grew up" a Christian or have been baptized you must believe Jesus is your savior to truly be a Christian! It is perfectly fine to determine this on your own.

Upvote 0