Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interesting...I'd like to know how and where these people get their stats. I am certain people like me, without an official Church membership anywhere, could be included in the stats. I think it is quite possible, that Christian Churches as a whole, are shrinking in NA. A couple of reasons behind my theory, is economics, and because older people make up the majority in so many Churches, and they pass away. I used to do alot of "Church hoping" from one to another, and something they had in common was a lack of young people 20's - 30's. However, I think Calvinism is on the rise, one evidence is Ligonier Ministries which has grown by leaps and bounds just in the relatively short time I have been a Calvinist.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
However, I think Calvinism is on the rise, one evidence is Ligonier Ministries which has grown by leaps and bounds just in the relatively short time I have been a Calvinist.

Yahoo Answers is not a site I would recommend to anybody wishing to retain their sanity. However, not so long ago, somebody professing even vaguely Calvinist beliefs on there would expect to earn a bundle of thumbs downs. That seems to happen much less often now.

Upvote 0

DanielRB

Slave of Allah
Jul 16, 2004
New Mexico
✟18,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My rather limited perspective is that there seems to be a winnowing processes in the Church: Bible-believing Christians often start off in Arminian Churches, and one of the following happens: (a) they grow cold and drop out altogether; (b) the become more Charismatic/Pentecostal; or (c) they become more Reformed. I see Arminianism as a step in the road for many Christians, and (IMO) it's inherent instability makes it difficult to maintain as a permanent position.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on choice (a); it could be that they end up "going liberal", becoming turned off of Christianity altogether, or that they develop more congestive dissonance but remain. But in my experience, it's not a very pleasant long-term position to find one's self in.

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My rather limited perspective is that there seems to be a winnowing processes in the Church: Bible-believing Christians often start off in Arminian Churches, and one of the following happens: (a) they grow cold and drop out altogether; (b) the become more Charismatic/Pentecostal; or (c) they become more Reformed. I see Arminianism as a step in the road for many Christians, and (IMO) it's inherent instability makes it difficult to maintain as a permanent position.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on choice (a); it could be that they end up "going liberal", becoming turned off of Christianity altogether, or that they develop more congestive dissonance but remain. But in my experience, it's not a very pleasant long-term position to find one's self in.
There is actually an old saying that goes something like this: If you educate a Charismatic, you end up with a Presbyterian. At least in my case, the saying was true.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is actually an old saying that goes something like this: If you educate a Charismatic, you end up with a Presbyterian. At least in my case, the saying was true.

^_^ looks like that makes at least three of us here.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

I found this article to be quite unexpected. Having been to China last year to teach the Bible and having many Christian contacts on the Chinese mainland I have yet to encounter a single individual who has even heard of John Calvin, much less Calvinism. In fact, the whole concept of denominations is quite foreign to them. They have Catholic churches in their midst but consider them to be a foreign religion unrelated to biblical Christianity.

I will say that the government of China is not inclined to look favorably on Western religion, be it Catholicism or Calvinism or any other variant.

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

I just turned Reformed, kept being a Baptist...

Upvote 0