Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
Hate speech? God doesn't warn us about sin because He hates us but because He loves us and wants us to avoid those things that harm us. God didn't create marriage as the union of a man and a woman to deprive any man or woman of any good thing. And considering the number of politicians who have said they would oppose Chic-Fil-A from operating in their areas BECAUSE he exercised his right of free speech just shows how far we've drifted from the moral intent of government which is to secure the blessings of liberty, not destroy them.
You mean the 'liberty' to discriminate and hate?

Dan Cathy's inane vitriol on the radio is irrelevant to the issue. All it did was draw attention to what is really relevant: the millions of dollars Chick-Fil-A has invested in anti-gay hate groups which promote discrimination in terms of public policy.

Corporations don't have Constitutional free speech rights, nor do they have the right to do business wherever they please. A corporation is a legal fiction created by the government, and it is subject to whatever terms the government chooses to put upon it.

What is hateful is encouraging people to engage in behavior that will harm them in this life and deprive them of life beyond this one.
Which is why I oppose the agenda of Dan Cathy and his supporters to make a mass statement of hatred toward LGBTQ people when they are already at increased risk for depression, drug abuse, suicide, etc.

I wonder how many closeted gay kids were dragged by their parents to Chick-Fil-A to celebrate hatred, the psychological harm must be horrendous to have to deal with.

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
No one has a problem with God directly telling someone to change their behavior it's only when other people pretend to speak on his behalf that folks get upset.

Obviously other people DO have a problem with God directly telling us things because when He is quoted directly whether on marriage or sexual immorality the indignation and accusations of 'hate speech' come out ... sounds kind of upset to me.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Considering that Christian organizations are opposed to it, your point seems rather weak.
Maybe this will make the connection seem a little stronger:
The Fellowship (Christian organization) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"They really worked out on the word ‘death,’ ” he said, referring to coverage of the bill’s death penalty provision. “We used to have friends in America, but most of them are now scared even to identify with us.”

It was in the United States, Mr. Bahati contended, that he first became close with a group of influential social conservatives, including politicians, known as The Fellowship, which would later become a base of inspiration and technical support for the anti-homosexuality bill.

Mr. Bahati said the idea for the bill first sprang from a conversation with members of The Fellowship in 2008, because it was “too late” in America to propose such legislation. Now, he said, he feels abandoned.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/29/w...mosexuality-bill-again.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1
Seems the president of Uganda also supports the bill and is a member of The Fellowship/Family:
The president of Uganda, Yoweri Museveni, was brought into The Family by Bob Hunter, who has been working with hospitals and charitable groups in Uganda since the '80s. Hunter says neither he nor anyone he knows in The Family supports the Ugandan bill — and that's one of the things he told Sharlet in a meeting they had recently.
A Different Perspective On 'The Family' And Uganda : NPR

...Dennis Bakke, former CEO of AES, the largest independent power producer in the world, and a Family insider, took the occasion of the 1997 Prayer Breakfast to invite Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni, the Family's "key man" in Africa, to a private dinner at a mansion, just up the block from the Family's Arlington headquarters.
The Secret Political Reach Of 'The Family' : NPR

I'm not sure what sources are considered reliable in the US, so i hope those are ok.

I should probably make clear; my stance is not that the majority of Christians support this bill, i'm saying US social conservative Christianity has had a large influence in the creation of the bill.

Though i can't prove that some organisations of the religious right are supporting the bill, i think it likely that some would.

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Obviously other people DO have a problem with God directly telling us things because when He is quoted directly whether on marriage or sexual immorality the indignation and accusations of 'hate speech' come out ... sounds kind of upset to me.
No, it has to be directly. Quoting something you believe to have come from God wont cut it. He has to speak for himself audibly like He did when he appeared as a burning bush. That way we know it's from God and not you or the person you are quoting who claimed to speak for him.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Maybe this will make the connection seem a little stronger:
The Fellowship (Christian organization) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems the president of Uganda also supports the bill and is a member of The Fellowship/Family:

I'm not sure what sources are considered reliable in the US, so i hope those are ok.

I should probably make clear; my stance is not that the majority of Christians support this bill, i'm saying US social conservative Christianity has had a large influence in the creation of the bill.

Though i can't prove that some organisations of the religious right are supporting the bill, i think it likely that some would.
The FACT that none do though speaks volumes.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nope, this never had anything to do with free speech. Not one person called for Dan Cathy to be arrested for his hate speech.
But there were calls to prevent him from opening new businesses and shut down at least one existing one. :wave:

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well that is fine...boycott those companies then. It is one thing to support traditional marriage and another thing to spew forth hate speech towards a group simply because of their sexual orientation. Oh and by the way, can you give me a list of companies that want to prevent women from obtaining birth control?

I can- not sure what that has to do with same sex marriage. You can fairly easily find out who donates where on line. Businesses I frequent most often I tend to know the most about. I'm not delusional, I know my purchases aren't large enough to generally make a difference to most businesses, but it means more to independent businesses and if many people opt not to use them it adds up.

I don't consider most marriage in the US "traditional" although I guess a significant number really remain business arrangements. In any case not agreeing that same sex marriage is acceptable is probably not hate. Actively seeking to deny others the opportunity to marry is hateful.

Upvote 0
J

jmorin28

I can- not sure what that has to do with same sex marriage. You can fairly easily find out who donates where on line. Businesses I frequent most often I tend to know the most about. I'm not delusional, I know my purchases aren't large enough to generally make a difference to most businesses, but it means more to independent businesses and if many people opt not to use them it adds up.

I don't consider most marriage in the US "traditional" although I guess a significant number really remain business arrangements. In any case not agreeing that same sex marriage is acceptable is probably not hate. Actively seeking to deny others the opportunity to marry is hateful.

Islam gives money to terrorist groups and supports killing homesexuals, do you ever hear of the liberal people in support of tollerance and acceptance attacking Islam? NOPE! HIPOCRITE to anyone who attacks chic fill a but supports and accepts Islam!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You mean the 'liberty' to discriminate and hate?
That's part of liberty :wave:

Dan Cathy's inane vitriol on the radio is irrelevant to the issue. All it did was draw attention to what is really relevant: the millions of dollars Chick-Fil-A has invested in anti-gay hate groups which promote discrimination in terms of public policy.
Can you give us a list of these groups so we know what you're talking about?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Corporations don't have a right to open businesses anywhere they choose. Try again.
Mayors don't have the right to deny businesses based on ideology. That's hate from the government by the way

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Corporations don't have a right to open businesses anywhere they choose. Try again.

True. But, when a municipality allows businesses of a certain type, but then denies certain business of that type because of the stated opinions of its management, then we run into First Amendment territory.

There was a time when liberals would almost universally understand and support free speech even when they disagree with the content of that speech. I find it sad how many people I see on these CFA threads opposing free speech in the name of liberalism.

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was talking about the moral failure at the heart of the entire so-called ex-gay endeavour.
Forgive me if I fail to see how you are able to determine the hearts of men whom you do not even know

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
True. But, when a municipality allows businesses of a certain type, but then denies certain business of that type because of the stated opinions of its management, then we run into First Amendment territory.

There was a time when liberals would almost universally understand and support free speech even when they disagree with the content of that speech. I find it sad how many people I see on these CFA threads opposing free speech in the name of liberalism.

I agree. It sets a dangerous and ugly precedent.

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Last time I listened to him he was talking about the possibility of Obamacare making it so that only Democrats could get coverage. He laughed after saying it which gave me the impression he was only half serious. Only thing is his dittohead listeners thought it was true and kept calling in to complain about this fact and Rush refused to tell them that it was nonsense. That's how he gets the conspiracy theory out there while still being able to plausibly deny it by saying "hey I laughed after I said that".

Upvote 0