Chicago Chick-fil-A Owner to Mayor: We Create Jobs

simonpeter

Jan 30, 2010
✟16,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Chick-Fil-A donates to more than just the "hate" groups, too. A boycott then punishes those other charities.

Does that mean that same-sex benefits are more important than helping out foster kids?

If the KKK donates to charities, will you support it?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If the KKK donates to charities, will you support it?

I support their right to say things even if I disagree with those things. If I found out a business owner was a member of the KKK I wouldn't stop patronizing the business just because of that.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I support their right to say things even if I disagree with those things. If I found out a business owner was a member of the KKK I wouldn't stop patronizing the business just because of that.
I would avoid that business like the plague.... which wouldn't affect the owners right to speak in any way.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I would avoid that business like the plague.... which wouldn't affect the owners right to speak in any way.

Are you able to avoid any business where any of its members might be members in groups you don't like?

For example...if you found out that the guy who serves your morning coffee is a Boy Scout leader, would you stop frequenting that coffee shop?

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Are you able to avoid any business where any of its members might be members in groups you don't like?

For example...if you found out that the guy who serves your morning coffee is a Boy Scout leader, would you stop frequenting that coffee shop?
Nope. But if the owner made a big deal about supporting the BSA I would not shop there.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Now youre moving the goalposts. We were talking about the owner. It gets a bit silly to attribute every employees behavior back to the employer.

The anti-gayness of the scouts is mitigated somewhat by the good aspects of boy scouting. Thats not like chick-fil-A, who's primary mission of serving fast food and soft drinks has very little redeeming value.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Nope. But if the owner made a big deal about supporting the BSA I would not shop there.

Define "made a big deal".

It's easy to say if there's just one or two places but what if there were boy scout leaders at every company?

I've long maintained that if I stopped doing business wherever there were people whose principles I disagreed with, I'd not have anyone to do business with. I'd probably have a hard time finding a job if I wanted to work only in a company who supported everything I believed. I used to be the type who would say "yeah, boycott those idiots who don't believe like I do, that'll show 'em" and then I grew up and realized that I'd much talk about what I believe than what someone else believes.

You know what makes me stop going to a business? Bad service. And it has to be really really bad. What a company does with its profits is the company's business. Just because I frequent a business doesn't mean I support or agree with the owner's principles.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Now youre moving the goalposts. We were talking about the owner. It gets a bit silly to attribute every employees behavior back to the employer.

Does it really? My company tells me I'm a representative of their values even when I'm not on the floor in my apron.

The anti-gayness of the scouts is mitigated somewhat by the good aspects of boy scouting. Thats not like chick-fil-A, who's primary mission of serving fast food and soft drinks has very little redeeming value.

Have you even read about where else CFA donates money?

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Define "made a big deal".

It's easy to say if there's just one or two places but what if there were boy scout leaders at every company?

I've long maintained that if I stopped doing business wherever there were people whose principles I disagreed with, I'd not have anyone to do business with. I'd probably have a hard time finding a job if I wanted to work only in a company who supported everything I believed. I used to be the type who would say "yeah, boycott those idiots who don't believe like I do, that'll show 'em" and then I grew up and realized that I'd much talk about what I believe than what someone else believes.

You know what makes me stop going to a business? Bad service. And it has to be really really bad. What a company does with its profits is the company's business. Just because I frequent a business doesn't mean I support or agree with the owner's principles.
I don't have an objective measure for where I draw the line. It is where I feel uncomfortable spending my money knowing that a portion of it might go towards something I vehemently disagree with. I rarely shop at Walmart do to how they treat their employees. I haven't eaten at CFA in over a year for their support of NOM. I refuse to give money to the local BSA troops when they are selling trashbags, popcorn, and Christmas trees.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Does it really? My company tells me I'm a representative of their values even when I'm not on the floor in my apron.
Well, I'm not a fan of bringing your job home with you... You have a private life that doesnt belong to the company, I hope.

Have you even read about where else CFA donates money?
They arent in business to donate money. If their core business had some redeeming value (IMO) then I'd have to give that some weight.
(anyway, this is all hypothetical for me, as A. there's no Chick-fil-A near me, and B. I'd probably avoid it anyway, just like Ive never been to the local McDs.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Boy Scouts? You are comparing the Boy Scouts to groups such as the KKK? That is absolutely ridiculous, and probably based on nothing other than the Boy Scouts adhere to an actual standard of decency you abhor.

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The Boy Scouts? You are comparing the Boy Scouts to groups such as the KKK? That is absolutely ridiculous, and probably based on nothing other than the Boy Scouts adhere to an actual standard of decency you abhor.
I didn't realize that overt bigotry was considered decent.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Seems like the Chicago mayor is shooting himself in the foot here. The city is losing jobs. Furthermore, it's not the mayor's business what a CEO of a company believes or does not believe. Chic-fil-A should be allow to set up store in Chicago unmolested, provided they follow the law, which they have done.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't realize that overt bigotry was considered decent.

The Boy Scouts are not guilty of bigotry, that is only how you see it. What the Boy Scouts are about has been published and known for decades, and no where in the Boy Scout code does it say "we hate gays".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The Boy Scouts are not guilty of bigotry, that is only how you see it. What the Boy Scouts are about has been published and known for decades, and no where in the Boy Scout code does it say "we hate gays".
Only in their actions. And those speak much louder than words.

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Only in their actions. And those speak much louder than words.

It still utterly fascinates me that those who encourage homosexuals to engage in practices that will lead to their damnation in God's judgment AND greatly reduce their average life span in this life consider themselves loving and supportive of homosexuals but those same people consider Christians speaking God's truth that homosexuality is sinful, that it is indeed a 'choice' and encouraging homosexuals to repent and be saved from much pain and suffering in this life and (again) saved from damnation are called haters and considered enemies of homosexuals ... go figure :doh:

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It still utterly fascinates me that those who encourage homosexuals to engage in practices that will lead to their damnation in God's judgment AND greatly reduce their average life span in this life consider themselves loving and supportive of homosexuals but those same people consider Christians speaking God's truth that homosexuality is sinful, that it is indeed a 'choice' and encouraging homosexuals to repent and be saved from much pain and suffering in this life and (again) saved from damnation are called haters and considered enemies of homosexuals ... go figure :doh:
Yeah. See the icon next to my name. That mean I could care less how your god judges anything that I or others do.

And as far as the greatly reduced life span, you are aware that Paul Cameron told enough lies to get him kicked out of the American Psychological Association and have the American Sociological Association put up a permanent disclaimer page about his lies.

Upvote 0