I tested a rich Christian

Nov 24, 2011
✟45,437.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In another forum. A non-religious hobby forum, we have a highly successful member who openly admits being Christian and I guess proud to be one.

He often tells about his career. A very good one. As an engineer (or a scientist, can't remember the exact detail on that one) working for one of the top aerospace companies in USA, having high level security clearance and also worked on smaller but high profile projects. No doubt he is highly intelligent and smart, a man with 'golden hands' everything he worked on succeeded. And his career made him quite well off financially and retired successfully, no debt with large savings and large income from investments and pension. He travels all over the world with his wife many times a year.

He often talks about his successful career and attributes everything to God all of his blessings and success. Everyone in the forum knows him. He knows me just enough to trust me. Then lately, I often see him write in his posts he no longer values money and material things.

So I tested him on the things he wrote.;) One thing about this rich Christian pensioner, he had lots of cars for his own use only. He doesn't collect cars but he has different vehicles for different occasions. Some of them expensive, some are just regular sedans like most people drive to work.

Everyone in the forum knows me for having plenty of car problems with my old beat up car. So I asked this rich member if he can give me one of his car that's working perfectly fine to replace my old beat up car. He says he can't. I gave him a 2nd option, if he can't give up any of his cars due to sentimental value, he can send me money instead so I can find a good used car to replace my old beat up car. Again, he said no and he told me not because he doesn't trust me nor doesn't like me, he just wouldn't do it.

So I reasoned with him. He had plenty of 'disposable money', cars he can give away without problem. If he doesn't value money nor material things anymore, he shouldn't have any problems giving them to those who may need it so badly.

He gave a final reply he just can't with a smiley. He did not give any reason nor tried to debate the topic. From that point on, I never saw him write about his his beliefs about money and material things anymore. He also stopped telling about his Christianity. I wonder sometimes if I overdid it or did just right. After all, it would seem his intentions are in the wrong place and I made him out to be a hypocrite when it comes to worldly things.

I've observed this behavior often enough among other Christians with privileged life. They say they don't value money but ask them for a bit of help with money, they won't.
It is what it is. The internet is tricky to maneuver through that's for sure

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It is what it is. The internet is tricky to maneuver through that's for sure

At least it proved he is very smart and wise and probably telling the truth about his very lucrative career.

And he stopped boasting about his inflated moral principles. It's a very good thing to do, especially for a Christian.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When a Pastor also tells of another Christian in front of a congregation who turned their life around and got better, that's not gossip. Yes? If a pastor does that in a forums, still not gossip? If a non-pastor member does the same act in a forums, not gossip?

I didn't even tell the person's name, not even his screen name. I also kept telling he got better. The test I did to him made him a better Christian, no longer boastful of his 'religious discipline' and we got closer.

This thread wasn't for my own gain either. Another member actually offered to give me a car for free to replace my badly beat up car but I refused. I am very thankful for his kindness, mercy, and generosity but I refused. I really am in need of financial rescue quite badly BUT I won't ask for anyone's help and if anyone would try to help, I'll just refuse help. I have accepted help in the past from Christian relatives and friends. It wasn't much. Not exactly what could solve the problem long term or even permanently via good job opportunities. Wasn't their fault. They're the help God sent me so it must be the best option for me. And I don't feel right anymore getting help it just makes feel even more awful than the problem itself.
I was only responding to the context you gave in your post. Thank you for replying though.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Everyone in the forum knows me for having plenty of car problems with my old beat up car. So I asked this rich member if he can give me one of his car that's working perfectly fine to replace my old beat up car. He says he can't. I gave him a 2nd option, if he can't give up any of his cars due to sentimental value, he can send me money instead so I can find a good used car to replace my old beat up car. Again, he said no and he told me not because he doesn't trust me nor doesn't like me, he just wouldn't do it.

So I reasoned with him. He had plenty of 'disposable money', cars he can give away without problem. If he doesn't value money nor material things anymore, he shouldn't have any problems giving them to those who may need it so badly.

He gave a final reply he just can't with a smiley.
If he is a Christian that is attentive to the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit could have just told him no.
Island Song, The Allies (1990)

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If he is a Christian that is attentive to the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit could have just told him no.

I think things are more complicated when dealing with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit had been calling me and guiding me even long before I became a Christian.

Then I became a Christian through a mega church and surprisingly, the Holy Spirit's presence went away for a long time. It doesn't seem to like mega churches. Then I had a personal revival some years later and the Holy Spirit is back. I think being a Christian doesn't automatically gets us in touch with the Holy Spirit and there's also a counterfeit (fake) spirit at work too. It pretends to be the Holy Spirit and can get in Christian churches too. This fake spirit is not afraid of religious symbols like the cross unlike what you see in fiction movies (perhaps, why they are fiction, myths). Real life is more complicated.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Not every Christian is given all the gifts. The gift of deliverance from evil spirits is very real though.

"...He will do even greater things..." via other supernatural gifts and also with modern technology.

You said it yourself "prepared" -- believer. "Prepared" means they did something the unprepared one didn't do.

I think something is blinding you to the truth. Those verses say the bad servant got condemned to death, not just a position of non-rulership. He will die with the hypocrites.

Are you a Universalist Christian by any chance? Everyone gets save, nobody is condemned?

Nothing is blinding me to the truth, as i am not the one adding their own theology into The Bible. So far you have not provided any Biblical support for any of your beliefs.

I ask about the parable you brought up. So you end up taking two types of believers in the parable, the wise servant and the evil unprepared servant. Again both are believers, but without any Biblical support, you turn one (the evil unprepared servant) into an unbeliever.

A Sad Day of Reckoning (Matthew 24:45-51) – Grace Evangelical Society

The Parable of the Faithful Servant and the Evil Servant – Grace Evangelical Society

Jesus’ Servants Are Believers – Grace Evangelical Society

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Nothing is blinding me to the truth, as i am not the one adding their own theology into The Bible. So far you have not provided any Biblical support for any of your beliefs.

I did. We simply have denominational differences and you simply can't see outside your denominational construct. Many Christians can't so you're not alone.

I once belonged to your denomination for 20 years. I left because it no longer made sense against the Word of God in the Bible.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I did. We simply have denominational differences and you simply can't see outside your denominational construct. Many Christians can't so you're not alone.

I once belonged to your denomination for 20 years. I left because it no longer made sense against the Word of God in the Bible.

It is not denominational differences. I always ask for Biblical (actual Bible verses) support for a persons beliefs, and yet you have provided none. Or the Biblical verses used, were not connected to the context or the area of discussion.

Your Biblical beliefs, have read like a mixture of human philosophy and Biblical areas. Like the testing of a rich christian, nowhere in The Bible are believers call to test rich christians (or at least rich people who identify as a christian).

I highly doubt you were ever a free grace believer, as you do not understand most of my post. If you were an ex-free grace believer then you would understand their beliefs. Which you have shown that you do not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I never heard it preached in sermons either but it's there in the Bible.
-
Well my point is simple, believers are called to tell people (unbelievers) who are looking for God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation. How to receive God's Eternal Life salvation, i see nowhere. Where believers are to go around testing people on unrelated areas, to receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life.

But the sad point to this is that, many who identify as christians. Have no idea how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation. So if they do not know, then they can not tell another person (unbeliever) how to receive God's Eternal Life salvation and become a permanent born again child of God.

If a person never receives God's free gift of Eternal Life and becomes a permanent born again child of God. Then they can serve God all they want, but they are just only building up good works. To be applied to their position they will have in the lake of fire.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well my point is simple, believers are called to tell people (unbelievers) who are looking for God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation. How to receive God's Eternal Life salvation, i see nowhere. Where believers are to go around testing people on unrelated areas, to receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life.

But the sad point to this is that, many who identify as christians. Have no idea how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation. So if they do not know, then they can not tell another person (unbeliever) how to receive God's Eternal Life salvation and become a permanent born again child of God.

If a person never receives God's free gift of Eternal Life and becomes a permanent born again child of God. Then they can serve God all they want, but they are just only building up good works. To be applied to their position they will have in the lake of fire.​

It sounds to me that the "Free Gift of Eternal Salvation" has become more important to you than God. It has become your idol.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It sounds to me that the "Free Gift of Eternal Salvation" has become more important to you than God. It has become your idol.
-​

Eternal Life salvation is God, so it can not become more important than God.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart;

Upvote 0

ZephBonkerer

Nov 14, 2022
Cincinnati, OH
✟37,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
In another forum. A non-religious hobby forum, we have a highly successful member who openly admits being Christian and I guess proud to be one.

He often tells about his career. A very good one. As an engineer (or a scientist, can't remember the exact detail on that one) working for one of the top aerospace companies in USA, having high level security clearance and also worked on smaller but high profile projects. No doubt he is highly intelligent and smart, a man with 'golden hands' everything he worked on succeeded. And his career made him quite well off financially and retired successfully, no debt with large savings and large income from investments and pension. He travels all over the world with his wife many times a year.

He often talks about his successful career and attributes everything to God all of his blessings and success. Everyone in the forum knows him. He knows me just enough to trust me. Then lately, I often see him write in his posts he no longer values money and material things.

So I tested him on the things he wrote.;) One thing about this rich Christian pensioner, he had lots of cars for his own use only. He doesn't collect cars but he has different vehicles for different occasions. Some of them expensive, some are just regular sedans like most people drive to work.

He gave a final reply he just can't with a smiley. He did not give any reason nor tried to debate the topic. From that point on, I never saw him write about his his beliefs about money and material things anymore. He also stopped telling about his Christianity. I wonder sometimes if I overdid it or did just right. After all, it would seem his intentions are in the wrong place and I made him out to be a hypocrite when it comes to worldly things.

I've observed this behavior often enough among other Christians with privileged life. They say they don't value money but ask them for a bit of help with money, they won't.

People don't want others to come out of the woodwork looking for a handout. When I help someone out, I want to do so on my terms - and where there is no expectation of ongoing future support.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
People don't want others to come out of the woodwork looking for a handout. When I help someone out, I want to do so on my terms - and where there is no expectation of ongoing future support.

It's actually better to give someone a job or refer someone to a job where you have close or good working relationship with the employer (or owes you a favor).

However, I've come across many Christians who sees it a huge burden to even do this. They just don't want to help out with the bigger issues. They'd be more than willing to help you out improving your golf swings, but lose your job, they don't want to be your friend anymore.

And there's people who are totally helpless and not even referring them to a job would help them because the have mental and psychological issues from their upbringing / environment, past traumas. Christians want nothing to do with them apart from donating chump change to charitable institutions and letting others do the dirty work.

We can't always do things on our terms because Jesus gave the terms and there's no way around it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
He had the option to visit my place to make sure I'm going to use the car or the money for good and he knew it.
I can tell you what my son's attitude is. He worked hard in High School. He worked hard in College. He has a good paying job as a result of hard work. Everyone had the same opportunity that he had but made a decision not to work hard to get ahead in life by getting a good education so you can get a good paying job. So he does not feel any responsibility to bail them out for their lack of effort.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I can tell you what my son's attitude is. He worked hard in High School. He worked hard in College. He has a good paying job as a result of hard work. Everyone had the same opportunity that he had but made a decision not to work hard to get ahead in life by getting a good education so you can get a good paying job. So he does not feel any responsibility to bail them out for their lack of effort.

That is a major thinking problem in Christians today.

We judge other people without trying to understand their circumstances in life. Much is given, much is required, the same measure you judge other people with will be used against you.

We think our success is entirely our doing but was it your choice to be born with good genes? Or born to responsible parents who did not take drugs, did not smoke while pregnant and made sure you're getting the right nutrition and education? Or even born to a nice and peaceful country, not ruled by unbridled greed and drug lords?

Our contribution to our success in life is actually much closer to 1% or even less.

It's really God who makes us successful whether we believe in Him or Not. 99% or even more. Have you read the "Parable of the Faithful Servant" yet?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,301.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I never ask anyone for anything.
I ask God.
Begging is not an option, for any reason.

It's not a sin to ask other people for help and Jesus taught we should help people who ask for help, NOT rebuke them or anything.

Personally, I try my best not to ask other people for help but I have out of desperation.

I've been a lot less 'judgy' of the less fortunate and the poor ever since because now I know what they're going through. I know now what compels them to beg, how humiliating it is.

It's true we should ask God for our needs.....But we as Christians represent God. But if we can't go beyond just giving chump change, what would people think of God? We claim He made the Universe cannot spare anything more than chump change. Doesn't make sense right? Then people would think God isn't real.

Probably why Christianity is declining. The core values has been corrupted into something worldly, materialistic, and self-absorbed. The desires of this world will pass away and so does this false, worldly version of Christianity.

Upvote 0