Catholics on, Interpreting the Bible

M

Memento Mori

There is so much confusion tody because everyone listens to everyone else on what the understanding of Scripture should be. I have been reading the Bible for 42 years, have read it through several times, and I always come to a greater understanding every time I read. The Holy Spirit opens my eyes to a deeper understanding, and I pray for His guidance every time i sit down to read. Thats the problem today. The CC goes by what the pope says, many others agree with Calvin, Wesley, Luther, etc. Do the Scriptures not tell us that the scriptures are spiritually written to be spiritually discerned? Pray and let the Holy Spirit guide you as you read.

Well then, looking at your profile you are premill, pretrib. Has the Holy Spirit revealed this to you as the one true interpretation of scripture?

You see, you have to mean something when you say the Holy Spirit guides you when you read. You have to believe that the Holy Spirit actually reveals true doctrine to you or it is nothing but a nice sentiment.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟836,510.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Polycarp's voice was drowned by Rome as seen through other successors like Melito and Polycrates to the Apostolic Tradition. 325 those who you say served under the Apostles (Polycarp) were declared heretical. 341 they were excommunicated for what they learned from the Apostles and Scripture.
Are you mixing up the Easter controversies? The early controversy (mid 2nd century) was with the Churches of Asia while the 2nd (4th cent.) was with the Syrian Church.

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
haha. No. Is it in the Bible or not? That is the issue...
The Bible is God's (Jesus') word, right?
Christians will follow Jesus, right?
Jesus said Christians hear his voice and follow HIM, right? Where is Jesus' voice found? Is it in sacred tradition? Is it in my words? Where is Jesus' voice found?

Jesus' voice is found in Scripture and Tradition, as even Scripture says. :) His word is not in written form alone. We should not impose that limit upon Him.
redface.gif

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟836,510.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is so much confusion tody because everyone listens to everyone else on what the understanding of Scripture should be. I have been reading the Bible for 42 years, have read it through several times, and I always come to a greater understanding every time I read. The Holy Spirit opens my eyes to a deeper understanding, and I pray for His guidance every time i sit down to read. Thats the problem today. The CC goes by what the pope says, many others agree with Calvin, Wesley, Luther, etc. Do the Scriptures not tell us that the scriptures are spiritually written to be spiritually discerned? Pray and let the Holy Spirit guide you as you read.
Hello Spiritwarrior,
Though I agree with much of what you are saying, the CC does not go by what the pope says, they go by what the Church teaches. A new Pope does not change what has been taught, he ensures that what is taught remains what has always been taught by those who passed it down.

The CC tells us to read the Holy scriptures and allow the Spirit of God to guide us. The CC tells us to experience all that God has to give.

The Holy Spirit is alive within the CC and is guiding them to reach out to all those Christians who love God but are not Catholic. We are not to separate ourselves but to try and bring unity.

There are so many people, including Catholics, that don't understand what the CC is about.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrPolo
Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Victorville, California, CorpUSA
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We are not to separate ourselves but to try and bring unity.

Um, that's a statement that one would be hard pressed to substantiate with scripture.

Luk 6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you [from their company], and shall reproach [you], and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

2Cr 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,

Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

Um, that's a statement that one would be hard pressed to substantiate with scripture.

Luk 6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you [from their company], and shall reproach [you], and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

2Cr 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,

Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

You are taking those out of context. Those verses describe the relationship between the Christian and the secular world.

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I decided to make this because of the following post, I chose to make it anonymous due to privacy for the poster:

This is no bull, he really posted that, I made no changes to his post.

So my question is, . Because each church claims that different things are in the Bible. Luther and Catholics claim Eucharist is in the Bible other churches do not. My question is how do you know who is right?
The Roman Catholic, and Eastern Orthodox Church have always believed in fidelity to Jesus Christ. Fidelity to the Scripture is a major part of that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, someone must be the liar. We propose that the liar came later. That is that it is not fair to claim simply because time has passed that the Church was the liar, to say that it bear false witness, as a whole institution. That is to say, that Luther, in fact, who profaned the Bible by changing based on his beliefs, was the liar. And thus, the change in the Bible itself is a major impediment toward any sort of Pauline demanded reconciliation. For surely we would not give any of our clergy the right to remove books from the Bible, though Protestants have wrongly done so.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Like when Christians incorporated wholesale elements of Islam- Sola Scriptura and the others.
From what I know of Islam, some or most of them are not "Sola" Koran either :D :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

2 King

By His Wounds We Are Healed
Jun 5, 2009
Desert
✟17,226.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Or that Islam was an invention of the RCC.

Muhammad was married to a woman named Khadija, when he was 25 and she was 40. Her cousin Waraquah was also a Roman Catholic Meccan. Khadija lived in a Roman Catholic convent, so we can call her a Roman Catholic Nun.

Iris Unvelied

Truth Provided Newsletter -The Pope & Islam
Interesting. Thank you.

As long as you don't start telling us about how bad Christianit's Pagan roots are ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟836,510.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, it is quite easy to substantiate by scripture.
John 17:
6 "I revealed your name to those whom you gave me out of the world. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything you gave me is from you, 8 because the words you gave to me I have given to them, and they accepted them and truly understood that I came from you, and they have believed that you sent me. 9 I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for the ones you have given me, because they are yours, 10 and everything of mine is yours and everything of yours is mine, and I have been glorified in them. 11 And now I will no longer be in the world, but they are in the world, while I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one just as we are. 12 When I was with them I protected them in your name that you gave me, and I guarded them, and none of them was lost except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you. I speak this in the world so that they may share my joy completely. 14 I gave them your word, and the world hated them, because they do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world but that you keep them from the evil one. 16 They do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world. 17 Consecrate them in the truth. Your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world. 19 And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth. 20 "I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. 22 And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me. 24 Father, they are your gift to me. I wish that where I am they also may be with me, that they may see my glory that you gave me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world. 25 Righteous Father, the world also does not know you, but I know you, and they know that you sent me. 26 I made known to them your name and I will make it known, that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them."

You have a choice, to be that which belongs to Christ Jesus or belong to the world. You can be part of the world and separate, as the verses refer to that you provide, or you can be part of the body of Christ and seek to be one with those who love God.

All the verses that you provide, below, prove that you do not understand biblical context.

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, it is quite easy to substantiate by scripture.
John 17 says nothing about being united with the world. Your suggestion was that we are to be united, as catholics I guess, with the rest of the world is certainly not scriptural.

You have a choice, to be that which belongs to Christ Jesus or belong to the world.

I'm with Christ by being obedient to His word of truth.

You can be part of the world and separate, as the verses refer to that you provide, or you can be part of the body of Christ and seek to be one with those who love God.

Brother, one can claim to be with God or a Christian and be as far apart from the truth as the day is from the night.

All the verses that you provide, below, prove that you do not understand biblical context.

Brother, I understand things quite well. If there is no truth in something we are called to be separate from it. If there is a preaching of a particular sect or leader that is contrary to the word of God then we are to reject it, not be at all part of it.

Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove [them].

Eph 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

Upvote 0