Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have some questions I was hoping one of you may be able to answer for me.
Though I was raised Catholic, (non-practising mind you) and went to a Catholic School, I am still very nieve in alot of areas.
So, if I say something foolish, please forgive me, I'm speaking only out of ignorance. :)

We've all seen movies like "Constantine", "Hellsing" and the odd exorcism movie.
My question is: Though I believe in demons and demon possession, are Priest's/Nuns actually taught how to deal with such issues?
Do they really learn the different prayers and Saints to call upon and actually fight in real-life situations? If so, where do they learn it all?

*laugh* You are all probably shaking your heads now and thinking "she watches too many movies" but it's always been a question niggling at my mind.
So any information would be helpful so I can better understand and learn.

Thanks so much,
~Jenka

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Some priests are trained by the Church to be exorcists, I think they have a school in Rome that specializes in this. They do use special prayers in the ritual. I know a priest who saw an exorcism preformed, he said it was not much of a "fight" I mean God verses the devil, wonder who will win lol
A book came out just last summer I think, It is called Interview with an Exorcist With Fr. Jose Antonio Fortea as the author, it is easy to read and very interesting.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
here is a good prayer to St. Michael.
Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

or if you want the long version http://www.traditioninaction.org/religious/b009rpMichael.htm
it was written by Pope Leo XIII

Upvote 0

Jenka

ISCARIOT AGENCY XIII - Agent VII :1st-C Info Tech
Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa
Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ask them. My guess is that their opinions may vary to degrees. But I think most will tell you to that some extent they believe in evil incarnate (evil as a force of its own).
I don't really know any priests, and I think I'd feel too silly to go up and ask: "So-o...do you know how to do an exorcism?" ;)

I'm a wimp that way..

~Jenka

Upvote 0

Jenka

Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa
Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I always split the two. I believe in evil as a force all on it's own, just as I believe good is a force all on its own as well.

Though humans, having been born in sin, are innatley bad or "evil", which is what makes salvation and goodness so amazing. :)

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are some saints that had struggles with demons.

I would recommend that you read the biography of St. Padre Pio and St. Faustina.

As far as all priests and nuns knowing how to exorcise, I think some are called to do this and they are trained and others do not do this.

Although, I do believe that any Priest can help in praying and christening a home with holy water to help protect a home from evil spiritual elements.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My beliefs are close to those as recorded in the retellings of what happened to St. Antony... and the "Meditation on Two Standards" by St. Ignatius of Loyola.

St. Antony was an Egyptian who became a hermit and was attacked by the "evil one" unceasingly.

In St Ignatius meditation there is Jesus on one side with his followers and Lucifer on the other with his agents going out throughout the world (give them money !!) leaving no human untouched.

Reactions: D'Ann
Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will share an experience with you. 3 or so years ago, I had to fly back home to a funeral. We stayed in a room that the family member died in. The first night there, I was woken up by hearing someone crying.

Everyone was asleep. I prayed a bunch of Hail Marys and a bunch of our Fathers and I prayed to Michael the archangel and Jesus. I asked for whoever was crying to be comforted and to please protect me.

The crying stopped and that night I slept like a baby. A deep and peaceful and comfort sleep. I haven't slept like that in years or since. I didn't hear the crying again. I hope and pray that Jesus found a way to comfort the person crying. It was a woman who was crying and the family member who died was a woman and she died a painful death. And no, it was not a "live" woman crying.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Jenka

Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa
Visit site
✟18,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Are there actual schools (for lack of better word) that trains them??
I wish I could find a website or something lol..but the web is so full of fake stuff, espically concerning anything religious/supernatural, I can't trust any information I get from there.

~Jenka

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I do not know. My understanding is that the practice used to be taught to seminarians in the seminary but the practice was discontinued in the 1950s era mainly because of the influence of modern psychology/psychiatry. But I heard that has and is changing due to Pope JP II's expressed displeasure over the lack of concern about the devil and evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Exorcists are officially and formally trained, and not all priests are allowed to do exorcisms routinely. Exorcists are trained to recognize the difference between a real possession and psychological disorders. From what I have read, they tend not to live as long as their non-exorcist counterparts.

It is very difficult calling.

Upvote 0

foxsta

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti Amen
Site Supporter
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟47,395.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Yeah...I haven't heard of nuns being allowed to perform exorcisms, but I do know that, as stated above, only priests can perform them with permission from the bishop. I heard that the Jesuits still teach exorcisms in their seminaries, but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.