• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can you go to a psychologist as a christian?

123flower

Apr 22, 2012
✟25,520.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I’ve read on the internet that doctors and psychologists are not for christians to visit because of their origin. Now I have terrible OCD and I’ve learned about ERP and want to apply that, but because of what I’ve read I don’t know anymore whether I should use ERP. And what to do if you have a symptom in your body which can be cancer and then you can’t go to the doctor?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I’ve read on the internet that doctors and psychologists are not for christians to visit because of their origin. Now I have terrible OCD and I’ve learned about ERP and want to apply that, but because of what I’ve read I don’t know anymore whether I should use ERP. And what to do if you have a symptom in your body which can be cancer and then you can’t go to the doctor?

Yes, you can go to a psychologist as a Christian. Anyone saying any differently has crossed the line between religion and superstition.

Upvote 0

subtlecollision

Feb 8, 2020
Wisconsin
✟31,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what you mean by "their origin," but I have found going to a therapist to be helpful.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Honestly, for a lot of psychological issues it really won’t be any different than seeing a Christian counselor or pastor. Depends on the severity of your issue & how it’s affecting you day-to-day.

Why would you not be able to go to the doctor for cancer??? Science comes from the Christian believe that there's order in the world.

SplendidSeraphim
SplendidSeraphim
Yes, they're like any other doctor. We are to take care of our minds and bodies. A psychologist is there to help you stay healthy. However, you want to make sure the psychologist is open and accepting of your faith.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nonsense! of course you can see a doctor and psychologist. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The internet is filled with false information. I have to see the local government supported psychologist, a therapist and psychiatrist for psychotropic medication. There's nothing wrong with it. As a matter of fact I would be suspicious of reverends, pastors, preachers who are against science, medicine, doctors and modern day psychiatry. There are a lot of bad clergy out there, especially the ones on TV or the net.

Reactions: Taylorz27
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you go to a psychologist as a christian?
(For OCD, it would be a psychiatrist.)
Some are compatible with faith. Others are not.

It is best to seek out a good psychiatrist AND get prayer for healing at church,
to see which one God chooses to use. ;)

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if you need help there is biblical counseling and Christian psychologists. Some mental health professionals say they are ok with faith and can help. But mostly they just want to teach about you, and it can be helpful.
where else would yo go- my pastor doesn’t understand me and can’t help. But science knows a little more. But after all these years they can’t help me either. But if you want to face it and give it attention then science will do that for much money. I found someone who was only 30/hr in the eightys . I was blessed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0