Can we play / watch violent video games / moves?

Puptart

Live, Laugh, Love.. and adopt a dog :)
May 14, 2012
Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
✟16,539.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Yes.

If you want to get technical, we can do whatever we want. If it isn't interfering in our lives or the lives of others, then I don't see the issue other than people trying to control others around them by saying what they "can" and "cannot" do. in reality life is nothing but subjective choices, though.

I'm a horror buff, in fact over this past long weekend I've spent probably a good 20 hours now watching horror movies back to back. I've seen things reproduced in cinema that put the word "violence" to shame.. but it doesn't impact me negatively at all.

Everything is subjective. If it impacts you terribly, then don't. Otherwise, why not?

Life isn't as complex as people like to make it out to be. It's just a series of choices based on what is best for one's own individual and unique life.

Upvote 0

Mairie

Jul 1, 2012
✟7,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are we allowed to play these games?

Likewise, are we allowed to watch movies, that contain any violence?

If you are an adult and don't have to answer to your parents, then you can think like an adult and decide for yourself. God is not a "helicopter parent."

If you don't like violence, then don't watch it. Though it is a rather nuanced topic, as it's more of the way in which violence is used that makes it an issue. If violence is simply part of the story, then it's just a piece of the plot and watching it is neither moral nor immoral. Violence is part of life, and art imitates life. However, if the violence is self-gratifying (a "we're just going to be violent because we can!" type of thing), then that's not something that I personally would choose to support with my time and money. I find all violence to be evil, and should never, ever be glorified in entertainment. That is not ok.

But as I said, it's your choice. It's not a matter of being "allowed" or not. You need to develop your own set of morals and boundaries (preferrably Biblically based) with which to approach all aspects of life, including entertainment choices. Look to God as you think things through, and he will help you grow in this over time. :)

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can you? Yes. SHould you? Depends. Would God approve? Likley no.

My feeling is if we are watching/playing something that might be bad for us, the Holy Spirit will let us now and then we need to stop. Now on same things, like lets say the movie "Polterigeist", we shouldn't watch them because its evil hands down. If I see a movie with pentergrams or witchcraft for example, I won't watch them.

I avoid horror movies for example just because I feel its mindless violence. Where as I did sort of like the Final Destination movies because there was more to it then random disgusting gorey attacks. Although now I don't watch it anymore.

Now, theres a game coming out Borderlands 2. It has its violence, but mainly what makes it in a grey area is its comedy through out, its made more for adults then kids. It borders on me almost not wanting to play it. But I still will because I don't geel guilty playing it. Where as when I tried playing Doom 3...I felt uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

masterchef

Aug 2, 2012
In the kitchen
✟163.00
Faith
Christian
I doubt if God would care. If something blights your conscience, don't do it.

But don't expect others to follow your lead just because you dislike something. Also, if you think God has an aversion to violence, I strongly suggest not reading your Bible, as it contains R-rated violent themes, killing, rape and other gory details. Ever read Judges 19? Far worse than any movie or video game I've ever watched or seen.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi guys,

I had noticed the subforum:
Gamers Zone

Now some of the games, that are being discussed and played, contains violence, where you kill other humans or monsters.

Thank You

While we as Christians have been given freedom in Christ, the Bible also says that not everything is good for us to engage in. Part of the problem with our american culture is that it is violence-immersed with constant reinforcement from the media . Personally, i like to watch drama type TV programs but without the gory scenes or immorality ...and trust me...its getting harder and harder to find such. I spend quite a bit of time watching Christian Preachers on TV with informative programs which build up the Christian.

Upvote 0

gospeljay

Soldier of the Lord
Aug 7, 2012
Seattle
Visit site
✟15,209.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If we take a step back from your question and look at it from the outside, your soul is basically at conflict. There is nothing wrong with this, it happens to all of us and it's what makes us human! Loving God and working on that relationship strengthens our choices throughout life.

Think of if Jesus was in the room with you, would he want to sit down and watch or play that game with you? Its a tough question and no one has all the answers. Who knows, maybe Jesus would understand that it is all fake and no one is really getting hurt. You have to ask yourself if you are mature enough to understand this.

Most holy people I speak with do not say it is right or wrong, it's just something they have no interests with because of their closeness with the Lord and they would rather be studying or spreading the good word.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys,

I had noticed the subforum:
Gamers Zone

Now some of the games, that are being discussed and played, contains violence, where you kill other humans or monsters.

Thank You

Garbage in, garbage out. Satan is subtle, and those here who say that watching people be violently murdered doesn't effect them, do not understand the spiritual reality that undergirds everything. What they're watching is sin, and consuming sinful acts as entertainment will most definitely have an effect on your psyche because it is polluting your soul. There is a war waging in our minds, and engaging in entertainment that glorifies sin is like laying down your arms and inviting the enemy behind the front lines to have a cup of tea.

As someone said earlier, you are what you eat, and if you dine at Satans table you become more like him. We are to have the mind of Christ. We have no idea how we are being programmed when we absorb the thoughts, attitudes and emotional content of films, video games and music. They effect on us on different levels, often subconsciously. When you know the foundation of it stands against biblical morality, have nothing to do with it. Even if it just little things mixed in, weed it out of your life. Would you eat a cookie if someone told you it only had the tiniest bit of rat poison mixed in? Neither would I. A little leaven leavens the whole lump.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
F

fuji

Try to find a non-violent video game. Even Super Mario Bros is cartoon violent(squishing turtles, mushrooms, throwing fire balls).

Also movies today are very violent. I just watched "Passion of the Christ", probably the most violent movie I have ever seen. Wait...it's a "Christian" movie? That makes it ok then.

As long as the violence comes from the bible, then I guess it is ok to watch, play, read, etc.

Like the guy above me said, "garbage in garbage out", well "violence in violence out"

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Try to find a non-violent video game. Even Super Mario Bros is cartoon violent(squishing turtles, mushrooms, throwing fire balls).

Also movies today are very violent. I just watched "Passion of the Christ", probably the most violent movie I have ever seen. Wait...it's a "Christian" movie? That makes it ok then.

As long as the violence comes from the bible, then I guess it is ok to watch, play, read, etc.

Like the guy above me said, "garbage in garbage out", well "violence in violence out"

BIg difference though ! The Passion of the Christ movie was to purposely depict the actual historical event , albiet brutal, which all of mankind is offered to recieve so they can go to heaven....the willful suffering Christ went thru as substitution for us. Its important to know and see what he endured in an accurate manner and it was.

Modern movies depicting Violence FOR ENTERTAINMENT (often interactively) that shows people getting revenge and making Heros out of them....is not on the same or close order as the Passion of the Christ movie.

Nice try, but, defamation of the BIble fails once again. , as does your strawman . And training up children and Teens to become more hostile thru a continuous barrage of violence/vendettas/vile language/nudity/and sexual degradation of women, et al....is once again wrong , immoral, and shows a lack of personal integrity . Allow God to change your Mind and Heart to become the Person he wants you to become...and youll never regret he did so. It starts by realizing the big lies our culture has foisted on us all, then, recieving Christ as your King , Lord, and Leader. In addition to living a righteous life on earth, you get Heaven as the real payoff later on. Peace.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OT heroes cut off the genitals (foreskins) of their foes as evidence for the number of men they killed. It has women sleeping with their fathers and becoming pregnant, and people being killed in horrific ways.

Is God against all forms of violence? No. He Himself led Israel in many battles. And if He wanted us to live sheltered lives, keeping away from violent media, He wouldn't have included any violence in His own book.

There are different kinds of violence, though. You could read history (or watch reenactments), about the violence done to the Nazis, or by white supremists. Or you could read or watch works of fiction.

Video games offer a unique point of view, though. They're sort of like movies, except that they have the player in some degree of control. You might play as a US Marine or a cop on the side of good, or as a violent gangster ruthlessly murdering others.

Where you choose to draw the line is up to you. If you feel uncomfortable putting yourself in certain roles, then you should avoid them. However, statistically speaking violent TV and video games have proven to have little to no connection to real violence committed by the viewer/player. If a kid turns violent, it's because of their life at home, at school, or in their own heads, not because they play Grand Theft Auto from start to finish.

Upvote 0

laurent

Apr 2, 2012
✟15,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
BIg difference though ! The Passion of the Christ movie was to purposely depict the actual historical event , albiet brutal, which all of mankind is offered to recieve so they can go to heaven....the willful suffering Christ went thru as substitution for us. Its important to know and see what he endured in an accurate manner and it was.

Modern movies depicting Violence FOR ENTERTAINMENT (often interactively) that shows people getting revenge and making Heros out of them....is not on the same or close order as the Passion of the Christ movie.

Nice try, but, defamation of the BIble fails once again. , as does your strawman . And training up children and Teens to become more hostile thru a continuous barrage of violence/vendettas/vile language/nudity/and sexual degradation of women, et al....is once again wrong , immoral, and shows a lack of personal integrity . Allow God to change your Mind and Heart to become the Person he wants you to become...and youll never regret he did so. It starts by realizing the big lies our culture has foisted on us all, then, recieving Christ as your King , Lord, and Leader. In addition to living a righteous life on earth, you get Heaven as the real payoff later on. Peace.
+1000 :amen: even if it is hard to see (because for a lot of us we have grown with it), its our reality almost all things are perverted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OT heroes cut off the genitals (foreskins) of their foes as evidence for the number of men they killed. It has women sleeping with their fathers and becoming pregnant, and people being killed in horrific ways.

Is God against all forms of violence? No. He Himself led Israel in many battles. And if He wanted us to live sheltered lives, keeping away from violent media, He wouldn't have included any violence in His own book.

There are different kinds of violence, though. You could read history (or watch reenactments), about the violence done to the Nazis, or by white supremists. Or you could read or watch works of fiction.

Video games offer a unique point of view, though. They're sort of like movies, except that they have the player in some degree of control. You might play as a US Marine or a cop on the side of good, or as a violent gangster ruthlessly murdering others.

Where you choose to draw the line is up to you. If you feel uncomfortable putting yourself in certain roles, then you should avoid them. However, statistically speaking violent TV and video games have proven to have little to no connection to real violence committed by the viewer/player. If a kid turns violent, it's because of their life at home, at school, or in their own heads, not because they play Grand Theft Auto from start to finish.

You can't use violence in the bible as an excuse to indulge in violence as entertainment. The bible doesn't glorify sin, that is the difference. Using entertainment which glorifies sin, and is imprinting the thoughts, attitudes and emotions of fallen people onto your psyche is a bad thing. Ask yourself the question of why you would want to run around in a murder simulator and do things God has commanded you not to do? It doesn't matter if it's real or not, it is the attitude and condition of the heart which is important here.

And yes, there is a connection between exposure to violence in the media and behavioral problems:

The Psychological Effects of Violent Media on Children

Childhood Exposure To Media Violence Predicts Young Adult Aggressive Behavior, According To A New 15-Year Study

Violent Cartoons Linked to Sleep Problems in Preschoolers - ABC News

http://www.nccev.org/violence/media.htmlSpirituallyThe spiritual principle here is garbage in, garbage out. As as a man thinks, so is he:

As A Man Thinketh by James Allen

Upvote 0

powerpoint

Jun 20, 2011
✟7,857.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
To the OP.

I listen to rap music, play violent video games and watch a lot of horror films. It does not make you a better or a worse Christian. No where in the Bible did Jesus take a stand on wether or not Modern Warfare/GTA was acceptable/biblical.

What we have today, in a lot of churches, are a bunch of well meaning idiots who think legalistically cutting out whole swathes of stuff THEY percieve to be "ungodly" is helpful or beneficial. Its not, its an ego trip for the person doing it, its elevating their preferences to the level of God's law. Its ok to have preferences, I happen to despise indie music and cricket. What I can't do is pull some BS statistic out of my backside and say "well, this says that cricket is wrong, so cricket music be ungodly because I don't get anything from it and percieve it to be satanic".

One of the most awkward experiences I ever had in church was over rap music. I love the band G Unit (which is 50 Cent's band). And I was sat in the front row with a snap back hat, G unit t shirt and air-force 1s on, and had to listen to the pastor rant about how evil rap was for 15 minutes. And what was telling was that this guy did not have the first clue what he was talking about. Preferential arguments based on BS and steriotypes is what you get in church when this sort of thing is discussed. Same thing when people like Jack Chick talk about D&D or Roleplaying or Warhammer or GTA or Metallica.

Like everyone is saying, there is freedom to do anything, but there is a responsibility to do only that which is beneficial. However, who is the better arbeiter of what is beneficial for your relationship with God? The Holy Spirit or some randomer in church? Maybe violent computer games are harmful for their relationship with God, it doesn't necessarily mean they will be harmful for yours. And I say that because, lets be honest, the Holy Spirit is far better at leading you to be the person Jesus calls you to be, not mindless herd mentality legalistic crap based on half truth and steriotypes.

As an example, you may be aware that there is a programme called "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" from HBO. Very violent, I thought I would love it. However, after watching it, I felt truly grieved and felt the Spirit lead me not to watch it again. Ditto with UK sitcom "The Inbetweeners" and all anime. I've not felt grieved about stuff like, say, Southpark or Call of Duty or Rambo.

Acts 15:10-11 says " Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.” In other words, if Peter says that faith in Christ is enough, and Jesus says that faith in Christ is enough, who is someone to say to you that you need Jesus and to legalistically avoid certain games and films?

What you do need is to ask the Holy Spirit to grieve you of anything that isnt helpful, and it is a refining process, and it may be that certain things are helpful for a time and then become unhelpful, or that as you grow closer to God, things just slide off you, but it is a refinement process led by grace and faith, not by mindless avoidance for the sake of it.

/rant

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To the OP.

I listen to rap music, play violent video games and watch a lot of horror films. It does not make you a better or a worse Christian. No where in the Bible did Jesus take a stand on wether or not Modern Warfare/GTA was acceptable/biblical.

What we have today, in a lot of churches, are a bunch of well meaning idiots who think legalistically cutting out whole swathes of stuff THEY percieve to be "ungodly" is helpful or beneficial. Its not, its an ego trip for the person doing it, its elevating their preferences to the level of God's law. Its ok to have preferences, I happen to despise indie music and cricket. What I can't do is pull some BS statistic out of my backside and say "well, this says that cricket is wrong, so cricket music be ungodly because I don't get anything from it and percieve it to be satanic".

One of the most awkward experiences I ever had in church was over rap music. I love the band G Unit (which is 50 Cent's band). And I was sat in the front row with a snap back hat, G unit t shirt and air-force 1s on, and had to listen to the pastor rant about how evil rap was for 15 minutes. And what was telling was that this guy did not have the first clue what he was talking about. Preferential arguments based on BS and steriotypes is what you get in church when this sort of thing is discussed. Same thing when people like Jack Chick talk about D&D or Roleplaying or Warhammer or GTA or Metallica.

Like everyone is saying, there is freedom to do anything, but there is a responsibility to do only that which is beneficial. However, who is the better arbeiter of what is beneficial for your relationship with God? The Holy Spirit or some randomer in church? Maybe violent computer games are harmful for their relationship with God, it doesn't necessarily mean they will be harmful for yours. And I say that because, lets be honest, the Holy Spirit is far better at leading you to be the person Jesus calls you to be, not mindless herd mentality legalistic crap based on half truth and steriotypes.

As an example, you may be aware that there is a programme called "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" from HBO. Very violent, I thought I would love it. However, after watching it, I felt truly grieved and felt the Spirit lead me not to watch it again. Ditto with UK sitcom "The Inbetweeners" and all anime. I've not felt grieved about stuff like, say, Southpark or Call of Duty or Rambo.

Acts 15:10-11 says " Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.” In other words, if Peter says that faith in Christ is enough, and Jesus says that faith in Christ is enough, who is someone to say to you that you need Jesus and to legalistically avoid certain games and films?

What you do need is to ask the Holy Spirit to grieve you of anything that isnt helpful, and it is a refining process, and it may be that certain things are helpful for a time and then become unhelpful, or that as you grow closer to God, things just slide off you, but it is a refinement process led by grace and faith, not by mindless avoidance for the sake of it.

/rant

Calling your brothers and sisters in Christ idiots for disagreeing with what you entertain yourself with is the direct evidence that these things are a bad influence on you.

I typed in "50 cent lyrics" and clicked on the first song that came up. Do you honestly believe the Holy Spirit approves of you listening to this garbage?:

www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/50cent/toallmy[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]s.html

From "To all my [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]s"

We the realest [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]
50 Cent and B.I.G. my [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]
Don't try to act like you don't feel a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]
Biggie yo [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], 50 yo [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]
Squeeze the trigga' leave a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] fa' sho!

"Back up chump, you know Biggie Smalls grips it quick
And kicks it quick, you know how black [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]s get
With the hoods fatigues with the boots with trees
Smokin weed, flippin ki's, makin crazy G's
Hittin' buckshots at [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]s that open spots
On the avenue, take my loot, and I'm baggin you
Pimpin hoes that drive Volvo's and Rodeos
Flash the Roll, make her wet, in her pantyhose
Damn, a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] style is unorthodox
Grip the glock, when I walk down the crowded blocks
Just in case a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] wanna act out
I just black out, and blow they mother***** back out
That's a real [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] for ya"

The title, and around half of the song won't even show up here because of the curses, and the other half wouldn't show up either if the filtering were smarter. This is from Satans lips to your ears. You might want to ask yourself why you are entertained by what glorifies Satan instead of what glorifies God.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Any violence? Some violence is necessary and just, such as in the case of a police officer arresting a criminal, or a soldier defending his country. However, much of the violence portrayed in video games is not of this sort. It is just raw, over-the-top carnage and savagery; grab your gun and shoot/stab/explode anything that moves. There is nothing necessary or just about such violence. As such, it serves no good purpose and should not be part of the entertainment diet of a follower of the Good Shepherd.

Is the conduct of a Christian totally based upon personal, subjective views of right and wrong? Absolutely not! And to believe otherwise utterly mistakes what being a child of God is about! Christians are not free to live as they like. See 1 Corinthians 5 if you want a stark example of how the apostle Paul dealt with a believer who thought he could. Over and over in Scripture (OT and NT) we encounter prohibitions and commands that restrict and direct the life of the follower of Christ. The idea that whatever a believer chooses to regard as right actually is, is completely contradictory to the teaching of the Bible.

1 Peter 1:13-16
13 Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
14 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance;
15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,
16 because it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy."

Don't let the presence of violent accounts in Scripture serve as an excuse to entertain yourself with the grisly and horrific. The purpose of these accounts in Scripture is not to urge or command similar conduct on the part of the reader, nor are these accounts offered as grounds upon which to justify making violence a form of entertainment. Cain is condemned for killing Abel; King David is condemned for murdering Uriah; prophecies of death and destruction as God's judgment upon the wicked communicate God's hatred of evil. And so on. It is a terrible thing to twist Scripture in order to justify making entertainment of violence.

Selah.

Upvote 0