Can I be Christian and Not Believe the Bible?

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am annoyed by your question. Such a question should never be asked. Such questions make Christians look bad. If a Christian answered that question with a yes I would advise to stay well away from them.

You didn't know?

All Christians keep all commandments.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You didn't know?

I am onto you. Why is it that businesses that display Christian logos and such are not to be trusted? I never frequent a business of that sort. And Christian's that do are very gullible in my opinion. Maybe they are treated ok... I don't know. But anyone displaying the cross for personal gain needs to be harshly reprimanded.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You didn't know?

And this is something that really annoys me about Christians when they are sucked in by politicians proclaiming supposed Christian values. The whole world sees it and you make your faith look bad.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And this is something that really annoys me about Christians when they are sucked in by politicians proclaiming supposed Christian values. The whole world sees it and you make your faith look bad.
It is hard for me to distinguish between good and evil at times. I see free trade as good for some but not for others. So when I see every president favoring it including Obama I am inclined to think it is good. I do not trust congress whatsoever. When I see Republicans catering to the religious right I no longer trust Republicans. When I see moral positions pushed on Christians by phony preachers i am disgusted. How many here can remember when the Southern Baptist Convention was Pro-Choice? Some of the poorly thought out positions are being taken for personal gain. It has become an exercise in power while true thoughtful morality falls by the way. I would admonish Christians to deeply question who they are being led by. And that is my opinion..

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
"Bible perfection?" Nah. For informational purposes mainly, I just commented that 1) the Bible does indeed say that it's contents were inspired by God and that 2) Jesus did speak of it as being authoritative. :)

Not really, not on the scale equal to the claim in either case.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It does not matter. These are the default position of people who do not believe God, Jesus or any of the things necessary for a true relationship with Him.
And Jesus said He that would be first will be last and he that would be last will become first. What does that an to you?

Upvote 0

kcmonseysr

Christian Zionist
Jan 27, 2014
NEPA -USA
Visit site
✟30,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I cannot verify reality beyond myself other than what I can perceive.
Aw, Giveme - this is what those of us who have been around the block for a while have come to realize as "navel gazing". It's like you're a compass with no North Pole to point towards. Your needle can only swivel on it's axis, and it does swivel in any and all directions. It can only circle around and around - pointing nowhere and going nowhere. Some believe this condition to be enlightened reasoning. It is not. It is only blind ignorance. I can only pray that you are led out of it by the only true God - no compass is capable of using other compasses as a substitute North Pole - and that no one else follows you during your current time of blindness: and I only mean that in the kindness of ways, not as any harsh judgment of you.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Aw, Giveme - this is what those of us who have been around the block for a while have come to realize as "navel gazing". It's like you're a compass with no North Pole to point towards. Your needle can only swivel on it's axis, and it does swivel in any and all directions. It can only circle around and around - pointing nowhere and going nowhere. Some believe this condition to be enlightened reasoning. It is not. It is only blind ignorance. I can only pray that you are led out of it by the only true God - no compass is capable of using other compasses as a substitute North Pole - and that no one else follows you during your current time of blindness: and I only mean that in the kindness of ways, not as any harsh judgment of you.
There is only one person who would say "Aw, Giveme". Are you intentionally giving yourself away to me in the belief that you can act torment me in doing so? Do you have other identities here as well? I saw you earlier in this thread. How many times have you been around the block here? State your purpose.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And why do Christians ask each other if they are saved? Are you asking each other because you do not know? I remember a woman who was very Christian and who knew I was not. So every time she would see me she would say "Praise the Lord." So I would always say the same back. And she was actually a very good person but had suffered during her life. I think proclaiming her joy was necessary for her. Can anyone explain?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kcmonseysr

Christian Zionist
Jan 27, 2014
NEPA -USA
Visit site
✟30,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is only one person who would say "Aw, Giveme". Are you intentionally giving yourself away to me in the belief that you can act torment me in doing so? Do you have other identities here as well? I saw you earlier in this thread. How many times have you been around the block here? State your purpose.
No hidden agenda, don't have any idea what you mean by "giving yourself away", no other identities, "around the block" is a commonly used phrase/metaphor and nothing to do with this forum (I assume that that is what you mean by 'here'). I have simply decided for what I hope is your good to "tell you like it is" - if you have any other friend who has done the same for you in the past I have no knowledge of him/her. But I would encourage you to quietly retreat from all of this hustle and bustle and cry out from your soul to this God - who will hear you. Try it. You might like it. Nay, you will like it.

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course I dont. Who does? Jesus however is the foundation of morality upon which I build other morals and some of them are not very Christian. But I don't go around spouting morality and then not follow it as some often do.

Jesus' first commandment.....

Mat 22:37 And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the great and first commandment.

Do you obey this great and first commandment of Jesus? Remember, He said if you love Him you will obey His commandments.

Upvote 0

kcmonseysr

Christian Zionist
Jan 27, 2014
NEPA -USA
Visit site
✟30,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And why do Christians ask each other if they are saved? Are you asking each other because you do not know? I remember a woman who was very Christian and who knew I was not. So every time she would see me she would say "Praise the Lord." So I would always say the same back. And she was actually a very good person but had suffered during her life. I think proclaiming her joy was necessary for her. Can anyone explain?
Personally, when I hear such things I simply assume that they are just concerned with my eternal state, and usually try not to hold it against them as long as they are not obnoxious about it. Sometimes people really do mean "Praise the Lord" every time they speak the words. Sometimes I feel that there's a lot of "using the Lord's Name in vain" going on out there. I leave them to our Father. Most of them are my siblings. I can give my opinion to my siblings - and I can tell them what I believe our Father would/does/has say/said about a matter - but I am not in charge of them - that is our Father's job. He's a jealous God. I can and do argue with Him (I sort of call it 'discussion'). But I don't get to be or act like Him.

I once spent several miserable hours hunting on a cold rainy day just because the oldest brother in the family tried to take the place of his dead father and ordered his youngest brother, my friend, NOT to go hunting because it was cold and wet and raining. Hey, we ourselves had just decided the same thing, but then the 'order' came! And my friend turned to me and said (cleaned up a bit): Oh, crap, now we HAVE to go out in this ***.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
You didn't know?

Hi,
I think you used dry humor here. GiveMeAReson did not pick up on that. If you did not use dry humor then what I will tell of you of Christians like me is true of all Christians one way or another.
Since to a Chrisitian anger is murder, mentally and/or emotionally. All Christians have broken all of the Ten Commandments at one time or another.
All Christians are taught this. One of the points of Chrisitainity is to come to that realization, that when any of us like me, tries to keep all Ten Commandments, we cannot.
Jesus was the solution to our not being able to do, what we are all asked to do, historically and presently.

To you only GiveMeAReason. You mentioned businesses. One of the central topics by That Jesus person I just talked about, is prayer. He says do it in private. That means no one should display a sign that I am a Christian, in their business. Nor should a person suggest that being a Christian is in any way a credential for politics or as a person.

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Reactions: Givemeareason
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And Jesus said He that would be first will be last and he that would be last will become first. What does that an to you?
Good question. It has a number of applications.

Those who put themselves forth as being something special, shall find themselves in a position of humility. Those who wish to lead must serve. Those who lived first are the last to be judged, and the ones who lived last will be the first to be judged.

There are many ways that applies to life. Many years ago (about 35,) a computer genius was explaining to us novices about how computer memory was handled in the system he designed. "First In, First Out" and "Last In, First Out" were just a couple of the ways this is handled.

Not trying to confuse thing, but we need to look at the specific context of that passage of scripture to see what He was saying.

I hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Mat 22:37 And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

Do you obey this great and first commandment of Jesus? Remember, He said if you love Him you will obey His commandments.
I cannot even obey his second one.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Of course I dont. Who does? Jesus however is the foundation of morality upon which I build other morals and some of them are not very Christian. But I don't go around spouting morality and then not follow it as some often do.

Hi,
If that question was rephrased, Do you keep His Commandments, to maybe Do you try to be moral, then your answer is yes.
I say this. Morality implies love of others. I say your following the moral ideas and teaching of Jesus says, you are following Him, in that way.
Now, ever Christian here should be able to do the next part. However, this is for you. I will not treat you as anything but an advanced moralist.
Love is doing the will of. Love of God is doing the will of God. Love is as you can see, doing the will of the one you love. You love yourself. You do your will because you love yourself, but you also love others. Since you love others, you temper all your desires.
You are in The Kingdom of God therefore. You just don't know it.
Also, what name a person gives to that, is not important right now. You are in The Kingdom of God, as you are following the two rules/commandments, To The Best, of your human abilities.
The question should have been, do you try to keep the Ten commandments. And Jesus said, that all of what is in the Old Testament, is summarized by Love God, and Love your neighbor as you love yourself.
Sir. Sir. You are doing that.
LOVE,

Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0

kcmonseysr

Christian Zionist
Jan 27, 2014
NEPA -USA
Visit site
✟30,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

BOY oh Boy - I WISH that I could completely follow this commandment. But, then I realize, that while I still inhabit this covering of fallen flesh, that to REALLY and COMPLETELY follow this command would literally kill me. I could not handle what goes on around me in this fallen world, and - to try to sound at least a little pious - how it treats the loving God who created them. Why, it would crush me. I longingly look forward to my complete sanctification when, in my new body having left this body of death behind, I WILL be able to follow this commandment wholeheartedly. For from this one command, follows closely a second commandment, "Love thy neighbor as thyself"; and from these two commandments flow (for the sake of us Philadelphia lawyers in this world, to explain to us just what "love" means) all of the rest of the 613 mitzvot in the Torah. He who breaks the least of these, breaks them all. That's why we need a redeemer, and (Praise the Lord) we have one in Jesus who died for our sins (as foretold in the OT), and was buried, and who rose again on the third day (as foretold in the OT) and who then spent some 40 days appearing to his talmidim (at one time, to over 500 at once) to prove to them that he was and is who he said he is and has done what he said he would do. This is NOT navel gazing, giveme.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
I cannot even obey his second one.

Hi,
It is trying. It is not being successful at it, as He Jesus is. It is trying. The fact that you seem to agree it is a good thing to do implies to me, that you are trying. I have broken all Ten Commandments. I hate it, but I too cannot keep those Commandments.
No one here can.
LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Upvote 0