Can a christian listen to certain types of secular music?

javierc87

May 18, 2011
✟7,648.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Me and my aunt got in a discussion about it the other day and her view was that as a christian we can only listen to christian music. I didn't agree with her, I do listen to christian music but I told her that I personally think if it doesn't talk about something GOD hates then it's ok. For instance, I listen to Alicia keys, Emmylou Harris, Coldplay, Thievery Corporation, Tycho, Quantic. Some of these artist talk about love between a man and a woman (nothing sexually explicit) the last 3 artists don't even have lyrics they are just beats and sounds. That's only a couple of artist I listen to, I don't listen to rap and hip-hop anymore because nowadays a lot of that type of music talks about getting money, sex, drugs, lusting and power. What do ya'll think?? :confused:

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Me and my aunt got in a discussion about it the other day and her view was that as a christian we can only listen to christian music. I didn't agree with her, I do listen to christian music but I told her that I personally think if it doesn't talk about something GOD hates then it's ok. For instance, I listen to Alicia keys, Emmylou Harris, Coldplay, Thievery Corporation, Tycho, Quantic. Some of these artist talk about love between a man and a woman (nothing sexually explicit) the last 3 artists don't even have lyrics they are just beats and sounds. That's only a couple of artist I listen to, I don't listen to rap and hip-hop anymore because nowadays a lot of that type of music talks about getting money, sex, drugs, lusting and power. What do ya'll think?? :confused:

I think you're fine. I listened to Mike Jones today.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think it is fine it is all about the content and how it effects you and your relationship with God. There are things in music that are created by God they just don't say anything about God. You can have positive uplifting music about love, marriage, children, family, nature ect. Even the sad songs are real problems that people face everyday that they have to go through. If a song touches you in a way I think it is fine if it is talking about life and life issues. The only thing I do have an issue with rap or rock that talks about whole lot of nothing hot women, being rich, expensive cars, drugs, sex ect. that is all dumb and does nothing for the soul. Even classical is nice no words just awesome talent and music God gave someone the ability to wrote and play that and it's awesome. It all depends on the individual and how music effects them as well as the content.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it is fine it is all about the content and how it effects you and your relationship with God. There are things in music that are created by God they just don't say anything about God. You can have positive uplifting music about love, marriage, children, family, nature ect. Even the sad songs are real problems that people face everyday that they have to go through. If a song touches you in a way I think it is fine if it is talking about life and life issues. The only thing I do have an issue with rap or rock that talks about whole lot of nothing hot women, being rich, expensive cars, drugs, sex ect. that is all dumb and does nothing for the soul. Even classical is nice no words just awesome talent and music God gave someone the ability to wrote and play that and it's awesome. It all depends on the individual and how music effects them as well as the content.

I disagree I think rap talks about issues in the community that no one cares about. I mean sure its alot of guns drugs and violence but those are all issues that are in the community. And as far as being disrespectful to women when you come from an area that majority of women have very little respect for their bodies you get music like that.

What about rappers like lupe fiasco the nas and Damien marley cd, little brother, public enemy, Andre 3000.

The reason society pushes this anti rap agenda is it has become mainstream in white communities and they dislike the connection to the black community

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
[quote=javierc87;58412393]Me and my aunt got in a discussion about it the other day and her view was that as a christian we can only listen to christian music. I didn't agree with her, I do listen to christian music but I told her that I personally think if it doesn't talk about something GOD hates then it's ok. For instance, I listen to Alicia keys, Emmylou Harris, Coldplay, Thievery Corporation, Tycho, Quantic. Some of these artist talk about love between a man and a woman (nothing sexually explicit) the last 3 artists don't even have lyrics they are just beats and sounds. That's only a couple of artist I listen to, I don't listen to rap and hip-hop anymore because nowadays a lot of that type of music talks about getting money, sex, drugs, lusting and power. What do ya'll think?? :confused:[/quote]

*We can listen to music that is of good repute/whatever is praiseworthy, whatever is lovely, whatever is pure etc...

To be honest...I'm still quite fond of hearing the small children sing "I'm a little teapot". I haven't heard no one complain about them singing that particular secular song. Adults young and even the very old just smile and laugh when the little ones do that song.

What about the Christian artists who have revamped secular songs like:
Lean on Me, Ain't No Sunshine, Redemption Song, Time after Time etc?

Upvote 0

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Instead of grouping the music and deciding by group, IMO you judge the music one song at a time. Is it consistant with Biblical truth and how well does listening to it conform to the spirit of Col. 3:1-17? I try to use this standard with even worship songs; and some of them even fail to meet the standard.

Upvote 0

powerpoint

Jun 20, 2011
✟7,857.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I would say, its not about what you listen to, but more about what you take out of it. As an example, I am training as a pastor and I listen to a lot (well, tons of) 50 Cent and G Unit. This has not affected my relationship with God. I am not doing drivebys around Yorkshire, I am not back hand slapping women. Nor am I selling drugs. It is entertainment, same as me reading Stephen King, playing Grand Theft Auto 4 and watching The Shining. It's entertainment. True, it's not pointing out a particularly positive spiritual message, but neither is it giving a bad one. It simply is. Whats taken out of it is up to the individual.

People are very quick to label, say, Rap music, as the music of the devil and blame gamg culture/social ills/whatever on it. Same with books (Stephen King is a particularly tempting target for book burning nutters), Computer games (Look at Michael Atkinson's over the top reaction in Australia) and movies. What these media are, in most cases, is a convenient hook on which to hang social ills or to attach the particular bandwagon of the day.

When we start to label certain things as ok and not ok, we really are missing the point. We're building ourselves a false set of rules which we follow but leave God out of the picture. We're assuming what God's will is, but not testing it like it says in Romans 12:2.

Surely, the best option for any Christian is to discover what is/isn't ok for them by praying into it and letting God speak to them individually?

Upvote 0

Migdala

Follower of Yeshua
May 7, 2010
USA
✟8,563.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I think it's a choice of whether or not the Holy Spirit convicts you or not. If He doesn't convict you, then it's Ok. I mean, we all know what we should and should look at or listen to, and what we shouldn't. If we are unsure, then just ask the Lord if that is Ok for you to listen to, and He will let you know in your spirit.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Any art form gives insights and expression of cultural issues that as Christians we need to have sensible responses to. Frances Schaeffer, a well know and widely respected Christian used the arts extensively to communicate with people. Paul did the same, using non biblical materials to begin building a point of entry into others' thinking.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Cephar

Bible Student
Sep 9, 2010
Ohio
✟7,746.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally try to avoid secular music based on personal conviction and I can understand why. I've grown up with music all my life and it's almost an addiction. Something that I could not see myself living without. But when I finally came to the Lord I noticed how music would war against my relationship with Him.

Anything that gets between you and God cannot be good.

No matter what it is - it ventures into the realm of idolatry. Even with "Christian music" I find myself practicing some caution. My heart has to be right in it otherwise the wrong fruit is being nourished.

I am no one to judge music. Whether it is right or wrong for a particular person. But I do know this - that the message it carries is of great importance. What you feed into your heart will be the fruit of your thoughts and therefore behavior. ("...For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of..." - Matthew 12:34 NIV).

Music is a very powerful tool. It is inspirational. In various ways. I've listened to music that will put me in a bad mood within minutes. Music that would inspire all sorts of crazy ideas. And only under its influence.

Praise (to include worship music) is a weapon of spiritual warfare. It is very important to God. After all praise is what He deserves since He is the Creator of this world.

Secular music even if it keeps to "real" topics with motivational messages and whatnot can still help us in keeping our eyes off of God and instead selfishly focus upon ourselves.

But that is just my personal conviction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums