Can a Catholic be a Christian Universalist?

HSong

Jesus-Saves-All
Sep 11, 2022
Canada
Visit site
✟43,566.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You do seem to at least know that this is not what the Catholic Church teaches.
Yes, there are teachings in the Roman Catholic Church about purgatory with the implication that there are those who go to purgatory and those that go to an eternal hell, which is false. As a Christian Universalist, I am, of course, against that belief. Salvation is through faith alone in Christ, that's the only way are sins are washed away. Purgatory does not wash away sins, only belief in Jesus.

Here's an interesting video I came across while trying to track down that other universalist priest, regarding the theology of Pope Benedict XVI.
Hmm, that's interesting. It's important to be hopeful about the salvation of everyone, just like how Christ hopes that all people will be saved, which will be accomplised, because God fulfills all of His desires.

Have you read about hopeful universalism
In terms of hope, we have the blessed hope that is Jesus Christ.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared that brings salvation to all people. 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,

And once this present age is over, all people will be given glorifed bodies

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,001,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, there are teachings in the Roman Catholic Church about purgatory with the implication that there are those who go to purgatory and those that go to an eternal hell, which is false. As a Christian Universalist, I am, of course, against that belief. Salvation is through faith alone in Christ, that's the only way are sins are washed away. Purgatory does not wash away sins, only belief in Jesus.

Hmm, that's interesting. It's important to be hopeful about the salvation of everyone, just like how Christ hopes that all people will be saved, which will be accomplised, because God fulfills all of His desires.

In terms of hope, we have the blessed hope that is Jesus Christ.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared that brings salvation to all people. 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,

And once this present age is over, all people will be given glorifed bodies
Why does Paul say, "we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ," if it is guaranteed that "all people will be given glorified bodies?"

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, there are teachings in the Roman Catholic Church about purgatory with the implication that there are those who go to purgatory and those that go to an eternal hell,
Those are the teachings.
which is false.
In your opinion.
As a Christian Universalist, I am, of course, against that belief.
Of course. Otherwise you would follow the orthodox teaching.
Salvation is through faith alone in Christ, that's the only way are sins are washed away. Purgatory does not wash away sins, only belief in Jesus.
Purgatory is for sanctification, not justification. And it only works by the power of God's grace anyway.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟498,755.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I am not a Catholic but from what I know about Catholicism I don't believe that one can be a Catholic and also be a Universalist, despite the isolated statement being quoted from Pope Francis.

I am confused; Catholic originates from Greek and means universal; as I wrestle with the thread title, I feel like it boils down to: Is the Pope a Catholic; is the Pope all things to all men; is the pope broad minded; and the dictionary goes on and on.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,001,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am confused; Catholic originates from Greek and means universal; as I wrestle with the thread title, I feel like it boils down to: Is the Pope a Catholic; is the Pope all things to all men; is the pope broad minded; and the dictionary goes on and on.
That the RCC chooses to designate itself as "Catholic," i.e. "universal" does not mean that the church believes that all mankind will be saved the righteous and unrighteous alike even after death as "Universal Reconciliation" teaches,

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟498,755.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That the RCC chooses to designate itself as "Catholic," i.e. "universal" does not mean that the church believes that all mankind will be saved the righteous and unrighteous alike even after death as "Universal Reconciliation" teaches,

What you are referring to might be called Theology; it doesn't appear to have anything to do with salvation, God or the Bible.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,761,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What you are referring to might be called Theology; it doesn't appear to have anything to do with salvation, God or the Bible.
I’m sorry but that is a very funny statement. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,001,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That sounds about right. I was responding to your post which did not have anything to do with "salvation, God or the Bible."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,001,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isn't "universal" the very definition of "catholic"?
Not exactly. "Catholic" comes from the compound Greek word καθ᾿ ὅλης "kataholos." which means "according to the whole."
It occurs 6 times in the N.T.
Καθολης/kathole’s [1] Luke 4:14 [2] Luke 8:39 [3] Luke 23:5 [4] Acts of the Apostles 9:31 [5] Acts of the Apostles 9:42 [6] Acts of the Apostles 10:37

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟498,755.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I am naive and simple; I do not know much about non Biblical stuff. What is "Universal Reconciliation", that it can teach; a doctrine of men perhaps. It is not a Person; doesn't seem to be an institution; to be a religion it would require some sort of structure like a constitution, or set of rules.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,001,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am naive and simple; I do not know much about non Biblical stuff. What is "Universal Reconciliation", that it can teach; a doctrine of men perhaps. It is not a Person; doesn't seem to be an institution; to be a religion it would require some sort of structure like a constitution, or set of rules.
I don't think there is an organized group which refers to itself as a Universal Reconciliation [UR] "church" or something similar. But there are several posters on this forum who believe in UR. UR is the belief that all mankind righteous and unrighteous alike will be saved, even after death.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟498,755.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I don't think there is an organized group which refers to itself as a Universal Reconciliation [UR] "church" or something similar. But there are several posters on this forum who believe in UR. UR is the belief that all mankind righteous and unrighteous alike will be saved, even after death.

Such would make Christ a liar when referring to the second death.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟828,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Such would make Christ a liar
I find that to be the flip side of the coin that annihilationism occupies.

Both equally incorrect as the other.

They are two ends of the same stick.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟828,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,001,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find that to be the flip side of the coin that annihilationism occupies.
Both equally incorrect as the other.
They are two ends of the same stick.
Is this supposed to make some kind of sense?

Upvote 0