Calvinism: Is the bible lying or is God powerless to save everyone?

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Five Main Points of Calvinism:
Total Inability - Man has sunk so far through the Fall that he is no longer capable of believing the gospel.

Unconditional Election - God has, before the creation of the world, selected a portion of humanity to be saved. This election is irrespective of any foreseen merits or faith. It is only according to the good pleasure of His will.

Particular Redemption - Jesus on Calvary bore the full punishment due his elect, ensuring their final salvation. He did not die for the non-elect, who are excluded and hopelessly reprobated.

Efficacious Grace God moves upon the helpless sinner before he has a single thought of responding to the good news. Grace renews the spiritually dead will, imparts a new nature and infallibly draws the sinner to Christ. Regeneration, or the new birth, occurs before belief in Christ. Faith, in fact, is a gift imparted to the sinner, who is entirely passive in this act.

Final Perseverance - Everyone regenerated by God's grace will persevere and be finally saved. No one who truly begins the life of faith will ever fall away and perish.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM

A. If God predestined the fall, the "total inability" of man was also predestined by God.

B. If God "selected a portion of humanity to be saved", then it is His will that not everyone becomes saved.

C. If someone is not saved, it is only because God did not elect them to be saved. Because we have absolutely no control as to who gets elected and our "total inability to come to Christ without this election, God would be entirely responsible for someone not being saved.

D. Scripture specifically says that God wants everyone to be saved(1 Timothy 2:4)( 2 Peter 3:9)(Ezekiel 18:23)(Matthew 23:37). However many calvinist claim that the scripture are only directed to the "elect" and not everyone. However, if that is true, wouldn't (James 5:19-20) also be written to the elect as well? Does (James 5:19-20) prove that the "final perserverance" be false?

E. If James 5:19-20 is directed to not only the elect but the non-believing, unsaved members of the Church, wouldn't (1 Timothy 2:4)( 2 Peter 3:9)(Ezekiel 18:23)&(Matthew 23:37) also be directed to the unbelieving, unsaved members of the church too?

So if Calvinism is true:
-Can God genuinely will that all be saved (1), and yet only choose to save only some, the elect (2)?

-Is it even logical to hold that God can at the same time will salvation for all (1), and not will salvation for all (2)?

-If (1) and (2) are true, is God schizophrenic or confused? (1 Corinthians 14:33)
Or can a sovereign, all-powerful God who does whatever he pleases, hold wishful desires for the salvation of all that he cannot fulfill?

-Which leads to asking, is there a power in the universe greater than God, frustrating his desires?
Or can God will in different ways simultaneously?

-Or should modern Christians simply downplay election in order to highlight God’s desire for the salvation of all?

-Because if we equally hold to election, isn’t our general offer of the gospel to all sinners disingenuous?

-And won’t election erode the energy and incentive for global missions and evangelism because the "elect" inevitably come to Christ regardless?

Last edited:

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
The problem is you think salvation can be lost

We actually did not love God, He loved us first and saved us according to His great love for us.

1 John 4:10
In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

After He saved us we loved Him.

1 John 4:19
We love Him because He first loved us.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
HE called US out of darkness and saved us by His mercy alone.

9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

To be so called is to have been DRAWN, and all God draws, come to Christ and are saved.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And who do you think is the 'US', well it is the Church of Christ.
The called out ones from the world, that is the 'US'
To who do you think John was writing, the world?

He was writing to the same people, the writer in Hebrews was writing...the brethren. Want to tell us again who the brethren are? Aren't the unsaved a part of the church? Ding dong, anybody home?

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Particular Redemption - Jesus on Calvary bore the full punishment due his elect, ensuring their final salvation. He did not die for the non-elect, who are excluded and hopelessly reprobated.
The other 4 points are point which John Calvin would agree with.
Limited Atonement was not a point that Calvin would agree with.
But - you are correct that all 5 points are generally accepted as "Calvinism" today.
A. If God predestined the fall, the "total inability" of man was also predestined by God.
God did predestine the fall.
But your conclusion is not exactly true.
If God predestined the punishment for the fall than total inability was predestined - inability to understand and the propensity to sin upon sin being consequences of ongoing sin itself according to the first few chapters of Romans.
B. If God "selected a portion of humanity to be saved", then it is His will that not everyone becomes saved.
Depending on whicht will of God you are speaking of - this is probably good logic.
C. If someone is not saved, it is only because God did not elect them to be saved. Because we have absolutely no control as to who gets elected and our "total inability to come to Christ without this election, God would be entirely responsible for someone not being saved.
The first point is wrong. Not being among the elect is not the only reason that a person is reprobate. There is a little matter of actual sin - of which we have all partaken.
The last point is also incorrect. God is not entirely responsible for someone not being saved. There is that little matter of actual sin - of which we have all partaken.
D. Scripture specifically says that God wants everyone to be saved(1 Timothy 2:4)( 2 Peter 3:9)(Ezekiel 18:23)(Matthew 23:37). However many calvinist claim that the scripture are only directed to the "elect" and not everyone. However, if that is true, wouldn't (James 5:19-20) also be written to the elect as well? Does (James 5:19-20) prove that the "final perserverance" be false?
God does desire that everyone repent, believe the gospel, and be saved.
No Calvinist of whom I am aware claims that the scripture are only directed to the "elect" and not to everyone.
That is not true - as I have said.
No - James 5:19-20 says nothing about loss of salvation. I don't believe that many non-Calvinists interpret the James passage that way either.
E. If James 5:19-20 is directed to not only the elect but the non-believing, unsaved members of the Church, wouldn't (1 Timothy 2:4)( 2 Peter 3:9)(Ezekiel 18:23)&(Matthew 23:37) also be directed to the unbelieving, unsaved members of the church too?
I don't see your point. Scriptures are statements of truth no matter who is reading them.:scratch:
If you are saying that the James 5 passage says that believers can be lost then I can see where you might be going with this. But James does not teach that.
By the way again - I don't believe that many non-Calvinists interpret the James passage that way either.
So if Calvinism is true:
Much of what Calvin wrote was accurate. Much of what is taught by modern day Calvinists is also accurate.
-Can God genuinely will that all be saved (1), and yet only choose to save only some, the elect (2)?
-Is it even logical to hold that God can at the same time will salvation for all (1), and not will salvation for all (2)?
Yes and yes. The scriptures teach clearly that there are several ways that the will of God can be looked at.
This is a doctrine held by Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike.
-If (1) and (2) are true, is God schizophrenic or confused? (1 Corinthians 14:33)
No - but I think we all likely agree about that (Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike - right? :)
Or can a sovereign, all-powerful God who does whatever he pleases, hold wishful desires for the salvation of all that he cannot fulfill?
Will not fulfill - not cannot fulfill.
But as to the "will not" option - Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike agree on that.
Which leads to asking, is there a power in the universe greater than God, frustrating his desires?
No - Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike agree on that.
Yes - just us who were created in His image.
Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike agree on that.
-Or should modern Christians simply downplay election in order to highlight God’s desire for the salvation of all?
Yes.
The doctrine of election is not part of the gospel call.
No unregenerate fallen man is capable of understanding such doctrines.
It seem that even some unregenerate men are incapable of understanding sound doctrine as well.
-Because if we equally hold to election, isn’t our general offer of the gospel to all sinners disingenuous? And won’t election erode the energy and incentive for global missions and evangelism because the "elect" inevitably come to Christ regardless?
No and no. Some of the greatest evangelists in the history of the church believed in election.
The 18th century for instance has been called the "great century" in the history of world evangelism. In that century there was hardly a mission field planted on planet earth that was not planted by a believer in election.
If all these scriptures God chose some people from eternity past (the elect), to be saved unconditionally, and only those elect will genuinely respond to the gospel and be saved (Matthew 22:14; John 6:37, 44, 65; 8:47; 10:26–29; Romans 8:29–30; 9:6–23; 11:5–10; 1 Corinthians 1:26–30; Ephesians 1:4–5; 1 Thessalonians 1:4; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; James 2:5).
It appears that you didn't finish your thought here.

No matter though.

You are logically and factually mistaken in a lot of areas concerning Reformed theology.

You aren't alone here in your lack of logic and your mistakes about facts. But you will want to correct it early on though so that you don't incur that more strict judgment (in the negative sense) that awaits teachers of the Word.

I don't have the time nor the inclination to continue with you here.

I just wanted to correct you right away so that you didn't say anything further that was illogical or nonfactual.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The other 4 points are point which John Calvin would agree with.
Limited Atonement was not a point that Calvin would agree with.
But - you are correct that all 5 points are generally accepted as "Calvinism" today.

God did predestine the fall.
But you conclusion is not exactly true.
If God predestined the punishment for the fall than total inability was predestined.

Depending on what will of God you are speaking of - this is probably good logic.

The first point is wrong. Not being among the elect is not the only reason that a person is reprobate. There is a little matter of actual sin - of which we have all partaken.
The last point is also incorrect. God is not entirely responsible for someone not being saved. There is a little matter of actual sin - of which we have all partaken.

God does desire that everyone repent, believe the gospel, and be saved.
No Calvinist of whom I am aware claims that the scripture are only directed to the "elect" and not everyone.
That is not true - as I have said.
No - James 5:19-20 says nothing about loss of salvation.

I don't see your point. Scriptures are these scriptures are statements of truth no matter who is reading them.:scratch:
If you are saying that the James 5 passage says that believers can be lost then I can see where you might be going with this. But James does not teach that.
By the way - I don't believe that many non-Calvinists interpret the James passage that way either.

Much of what Calvin wrote was accurate. Much of what is taught by modern day Calvinists is also accurate.

Yes and yes. The scriptures teach clearly that there are several ways that the will of God can be looked at.
This is a doctrine held by Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike.

No - but I think we all likely agree about that (Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike - right? :)

Will not fulfill - not cannot fulfill.
But as to the "will not" option - Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike agree on that.

No - Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike agree on that.

Yes - just us who were created in His image.
Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike agree on that.

Yes.
The doctrine of election is not part of the gospel call.
No unregenerate fallen man is capable of understanding such doctrines.
It seem that even some unregenerate men are incapable of understanding sound doctrine as well.

No and no. Some of the greatest evangelists in the history of the church believed in election.
The 18th century for instance has been called the "great century" in the history of world evangelism. In that century there was hardly a mission field planted on planet earth that was not planted by a believer in election.

It appears that you didn't finish your thought here.

No matter though.

You are logically and factually mistaken in a lot of areas concerning Reformed theology.

You aren't alone here in your lack of logic and your mistakes about facts. But you will want to correct it early on though so that you don't incur that more strict judgment (in the negative sense) that awaits teachers of the Word.

I don't have the time nor the inclination to continue with you here.

I just wanted to correct you right away so that you didn't say anything further that was illogical or nonfactual.

God can predestine all things, but He can't get His Calvinist people to believe the same thing.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
God can predestine all things, but He can't get His Calvinist people to believe the same thing.
As I've said may times - "Calvinists" are not God's people. "Believers" are God's people. That is true for Calvinist believers and Arminian believers alike.

And the scriptures are clear that - "No doubt there must be differences among you in order that those who are approved may become evident among you." 1 Corinthians 11:19

I won't correct you again here on this or anything else because you have proven yourself to be a fool many times in our dialogs.

This will be my last post to you here on this thread as it was for the OP himself.

Reactions: sdowney717
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem is you think salvation can be lost

We actually did not love God, He loved us first and saved us according to His great love for us.

1 John 4:10
In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

After He saved us we loved Him.

1 John 4:19
We love Him because He first loved us.
Its not that i think salvation can be lost, James 5:19-20 says it can be lost.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Here is one verse teaching that we are truly predestined.

Revelation 17
8 The beast that you saw was, and is not, and will ascend out of the bottomless pit and go to perdition. And those who dwell on the earth will marvel, whose names are not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world, when they see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

And one that proves those with Christ are those He called.

Revelation 17
14 These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings; and those who are with Him are called, chosen, and faithful.”

ALL Gods works were finished from the foundation of the world, including our individual salvation.

Hebrews 4
3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’”

although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; 5 and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”

Upvote 0

Vandy

Sep 7, 2016
WI
✟8,226.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I honestly have a difficult time understanding why Christian Protestants have such a difficult time with Calvinism. Actually, I prefer to call the five points the "Doctrines of Grace" because they accentuate the fact that salvation is of God and not of us. So many people want to make themselves the agent of salvation (either through good works or their own power of belief) but the truth is that regeneration is a work of God before we ever have faith. When you were born, you had no control over whether you entered into this world or when it happened. It was a miracle of God. The same is true when you were born-again. It is a work of God, unmerited by anything you have done; a divine act of grace.

I don't have the stamina to address everything that was said above, so I will hit on only two main points. 1 Timothy 4 was quoted above. "God wills all men to be saved." The Greek word for "all" in this verse is πασ (pas) and it can mean many different things. Some people take it to mean that God wills all men to be saved without exception. But it could also mean that God wills all types of men from all different people groups to be saved. This second interpretation works very nice in reconciling many other passages with this verse. Romans 9:13 says that God loved Jacob but he hated Esau. It seems that God had plans of salvation for one brother, but plans of reprobation for the other. As God's created beings, we are not to question why he has created some men for vessels of mercy but others as vessels of wrath (Rm 9:22). I don't think you could possibly reconcile Romans 9 with Timothy 4 if you don't take the second interpretation for the word "all".

Secondly, election is a necessary Christian doctrine because the Bible teaches it unequivocally in Ephesians 1:4. People disagree on how election works, but it is most certainly taught there. The Bible says that God "chose us in him before the foundation of the world." It is taught yet again in Romans 8:29-30:

29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.​

The Greek word translated here foreknew, προγινώσκω (proginosko), indicates an intimate foreknowledge of a person and not some cold, distant foreknowledge of a human choice. Think Jer 1:5, "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you" rather than some sort of divine fortune teller. What Paul is saying here is that God chose /elected individual people whom he loved before they were even born. It happened before they could do good or evil and most certainly before they had the capacity to exercise faith.

Final Note: God foreordains both the means and the ends of salvation. ie) No hyper-Calvinism. The instrument that God has chosen for men to come to him is through the foolishness of preaching. God is the instigator of spiritual life, but he uses the frailty of human preaching to accomplish his ends. We must still go out, preach and invite people to respond to the good news of the gospel. We ought to be encouraged by the fact that God has promised us that if we are faithful to sow, we will also reap a harvest. Since we don't know which individuals God has elected, we preach the gospel to everyone anticipating that God will do a work in the lives of our hearers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As I've said may times - "Calvinists" are not God's people. "Believers" are God's people. That is true for Calvinist believers and Arminian believers alike.

And the scriptures are clear that - "No doubt there must be differences among you in order that those who are approved may become evident among you." 1 Corinthians 11:19

I won't correct you again here on this or anything else because you have proven yourself to be a fool many times in our dialogs.

This will be my last post to you here on this thread as it was for the OP himself.

Stop the presses; Calvinists are not God's people. You all do say the strangest things.

Do you not see there are differences among us that it may be evident who are approved?

You can stop your pseudo corrections. And you can stop with the 'fool' stuff you are so fond of.

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2015
✟15,265.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
[QUanythingjason_delisle, post: 70128624, member: 381423"]The Five Main Points of Calvinism:
Total Inability - Man has sunk so far through the Fall that he is no longer capable of believing the gospel.

Unconditional Election - God has, before the creation of the world, selected a portion of humanity to be saved. This election is irrespective of any foreseen merits or faith. It is only according to the good pleasure of His will.

Efficacious Grace God moves upon the helpless sinner before he has a single thought of responding to the good news. Grace renews the spiritually dead will, imparts a new nature and infallibly draws the sinner to Christ. Regeneration, or the new birth, occurs before belief in Christ. Faith, in fact, is a gift imparted to the sinner, who is entirely passive in this act.

Final Perseverance - Everyone regenerated by God's grace will persevere and be finally saved. No one who truly begins the life of faith will ever fall away and perish.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM

So if Calvinism is true:

-Which leads to asking, is there a power in the universe greater than God, frustrating his desires?

-Because if we equally hold to election, isn’t our general offer of the gospel to all sinners disingenuous?

-And won’t election erode the energy and incentive for global missions and evangelism because the "elect" inevitably come to Christ regardless?

If all these scriptures
God chose some people from eternity past (the elect), to be saved unconditionally, and only those elect will genuinely respond to the gospel and be saved (Matthew 22:14; John 6:37, 44, 65; 8:47; 10:26–29; Romans 8:29–30; 9:6–23; 11:5–10; 1 Corinthians 1:26–30; Ephesians 1:4–5; 1 Thessalonians 1:4; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; James 2:5).[/QUOTE]
If anything, this teaching only confirms( at least for me) that the Divine Truth of predestined salvation is misunderstood. It does not mean that GOD does not want ALL people to be saved, or that a certain "ELECT" will be saved. The scriptures quoted all show this. It just means that God has already known who will be answering the CALL OF SALVATION & who will not. We must not underestimate HOLY SPIRIT'S ability to lead sinful people to the Divine Truth of God's unconditional love.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God predestined the fall and this verse proves that.

Revelation 13:8
All who dwell on the earth will worship him, whose names have not been written in the Book of Life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
So God is then the architect of sin and is the cause of our "Total Inability"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
there is actually no problem, simple resolution is found in the historical reality presented in scripture.

1. Total Inability- true. In fact God annihilated the first batch of humans with the flood, except those whom he chose to save. Reason?

Gen 6:5 The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
That is what happens when God lets people to live out their "free will". They will implode. Noah was no sinless person, in fact he sinned just after they were saved. He was saved for reasons outside himself.

2. Not everyone saved, does God will everyone to be saved? are you even serious to ask this question ? This is not even a contention. God chose Abel not Cain, Abraham, not everyone else on the planet at that time, He chose only the nation of Israel, not every nation/civilization on the planet at that time, etc.. This is a no-brainier consistent repeating process so obvious in the pages of scripture.

so what happen to everyone else not chosen ? obviously they were not chosen and lived-out the rest of their lives to sin and their own ways. they were passed-over.

you see, you can dwindle around theological points quote here and there manipulating verses to fit your idea, when the blatant reality of biblical history points to the fact that God chooses some sinful people for himself, and does not chose the others.

you just have to deal with it and get real !​
HERE IS THE PROBLEM

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If God "selected a portion of humanity to be saved", then it is His will that not everyone becomes saved.

True. Have you ever heard of, "God's Chosen People"?

If someone is not saved, it is only because God did not elect them to be saved.

False. It is man's sin which condemns him. That's the ONLY reason for his condemnation.

Upvote 0

DingDing

Feb 27, 2016
Florida
✟29,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

HERE IS THE PROBLEM

... if Calvinism is true:

The solution to the problem is that calvinism is not true. So any problems that are related to the truth of calvinism likely do not actually exist.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
HERE IS THE PROBLEM

A. If God predestined the fall
He didn't.

Quite right.

Wrong. It is not that otherwise righteous people are excluded by God's decision. All men, following in the wake of our first parents' sin, are lost if God were to judge only on account of our own doings. When he predestines anyone to salvation, that means that he's saving that person despite his failings. Anyone who is not saved, isn't deserving of salvation and is, therefore, cheated out of it by God's choice of other people.

D. Scripture specifically says that God wants everyone to be saved(1 Timothy 2:4)( 2 Peter 3:9)(Ezekiel 18:23)(Matthew 23:37).
It says that he "would have" all to be saved. Why wouldn't he? I "would have" men to love peace and stop warring with each other, but that's my preference, not something that I am going to make happen.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
False. It is man's sin which condemns him. That's the ONLY reason for his condemnation.

And why do we sin in the first place?...the fall. According to Calvinism, who presistined and preordained the fall?...God. So according to Calvinist theology, God would be the creater and architect of sin. Apparently to purpose of sin is to use that sin to create "vessels of wrath" to glorify Himself.

Upvote 0