• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Caffeine and anxiety

Rebecca0630

Jun 16, 2011
✟7,701.00
Faith
Christian
I've heard that caffeine can cause you to have anxiety/panic attacks if you already have anxiety/panic. For several years now I've had a cup of coffee in the morning, almost every morning. I used to drink regular coffee, but after hearing that switched to half calf. The past week or so we ran out of coffee and I decided to just not get any and quit drinking it. The past 2 days I have had anxiety/panic really bad. I would wake up in the morning and feel weird (that derealization/dissacociation or whatever it's called), be jittery, that feeling like you can't breathe right (like when someone has a panic attack), my head would feel weird and I had a bit of a headache, and just panic and all day just felt like I was walking around cloudy all day. Two days ago it felt so bad that I felt like I couldn't even get out of bed. I stayed in bed for a while, then finally got up and tried to go on and do some things, but it was hard to not have anxiety/panic. Yesterday was almost exactly the same, just very slightly less bad. So, today I thought about it and thought maybe it's because I suddenly stopped drinking coffee in the morning. So, I just drank a cup of tea to see if that helped. Well, all day I felt mostly fine and then suddenly just a little while ago it hit me hard. I got to feeling that weird derealization or whatever feeling, jittery, my head feels weird, off and on headache, feeling cloudy, and just panic feelings. I'm still very much feeling that way right now. I'm just wondering if maybe it has anything to do with caffeine. I had stopped drinking it and it was a few days after that when it started being this bad, then today I drank the tea with caffeine and it started again bad. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the caffeine causing anything like this or any panic/anxiety, whither it's because of drinking it or because of suddenly not drinking it?