jsw_24

Apr 14, 2005
MS
✟530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems (imo) that alot, if not most, churches these days are way too "sugar coated". All about the feel good-sunshine and what God and Christianity can do for you. What do you think it would take to uproot churches from this pop culture-ish way of presenting/believing Biblical Christianity? Jus' wundering? Thanks in advance for the (credible) replies. :thumbsup:

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, first of all, I think you should respect your pastor for the way he does things. Second of all, I am thankful that my church, the Catholic Church, is never sugar coated! Third of all, if you really have a problem with it, tell your pastor about it. I'm sure he'd appreciate you directly confronting him rather than talking about it behind his back.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
persecution?
trials?
suffering?

Bring rivers in this wasteland
Clouds into this sky
Bring springs of life into the wells that
Have been run dry
Rise up in this city
Gather in this light
Pour down on Your people
Your glory and Your life
Rain, Lord, we thirst for water
Rain, we are desert land
Rain on Your sons and daughters
Rain, bring Your rain again
Speak dreams into this water
And vision to this land
Let oceans be divided
And bring forth life again
Let the tide roll in washing over our lives
Let Your water fall again
Bring rivers in this wasteland
Clouds into this sky

(Rain Song from "Days of Fire")

blessings
tal

Upvote 0

MsAnne

:)
Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
✟12,333.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Interesting choice of words - "pop-culturish", as this seems to have been an argument of unbelievers as long as I can remember.
Anyway, I guess I've always been lucky to have been in churches that taught all aspects of the Bible. The good in man, and the bad. The triumphs of being a Christian as well as the tribulations. It all plays a part in our spiritual development.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
jsw_24 said:
It seems (imo) that alot, if not most, churches these days are way too "sugar coated". All about the feel good-sunshine and what God and Christianity can do for you. What do you think it would take to uproot churches from this pop culture-ish way of presenting/believing Biblical Christianity? Jus' wundering? Thanks in advance for the (credible) replies. :thumbsup:

The Christian walk is sweet.
Jesus went around saying it was "The good news." and it truely is.
That doesn't mean everything is going to be feel good from here on out, but the Christian walk is easier and more fun, than the other alternatives.

What should we offer them? The "bitter" side of Christianity?(if there is one)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coolstylinstud

Senior Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
✟16,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
?

Hip? Cool?

Since when?

I mean, since when has the christain faith been about being hip or cool?

This is the problem.

Christ as entertainment

Why not have the hip cool stuff to draw them in and then get to the even better stuff getting them saved

Upvote 0

Skinster007

Aug 15, 2005
✟323.00
Faith
Christian
jsw_24 said:

I agree with you 100%! The church is trying too hard to be like the world today. And there is way too much prosperity preaching. We don't need to "draw" people in. The Holy Ghost will do that. The fact that we are seperate from the world is what should attract people to us. We are saved, we have unspeakable joy. People should be able to feel the presense of God when they are around us. That's the draw! I tune to some christian stations and I have to check the dial. They sound just like the secular stations. The world should want to be like us, not the other way around.

Upvote 0

5stringJeff

Aug 17, 2005
GA
✟9,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here's my question (to the OP): are you complaining about the method of delivering the message, or are you complaining about the message not being preached correctly?

If your issue is that the method of preaching is to "pop-cultureish," I suggest that you heed the advice of Paul: "I have become all things to all people so that I might save some."

If your issue is that the message of salvation through Christ is not being preached, that's a very serious issue.

Upvote 0

jsw_24

Apr 14, 2005
MS
✟530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, first of all, I think you should respect your pastor for the way he does things. Second of all, I am thankful that my church, the Catholic Church, is never sugar coated! Third of all, if you really have a problem with it, tell your pastor about it. I'm sure he'd appreciate you directly confronting him rather than talking about it behind his back.
Well first of all, i do more than just about anyone. Second of all my church is not sugar coated either. Third of all, read first of all and second of all. Be sweet. :holy:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jsw_24

Apr 14, 2005
MS
✟530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, let's remove all the sugary stuff, and we are left with a boring church.
Today, we want entertainment, the church has to be hip, in order to be allowed into the lives of the youngsters who are in seek of "coolness"
Yes, let's. We're left with a particular church that real and fullfilling. "Today WE want.....". Since when is Christianity about what we want? "Youngsters" are seeking out a false sense of "coolness". If we teach them that church has to look like the world to be "cool" or acceptable, then we're saying to them the world dictates what the church should look like and how the church should conduct itself to be socially acceptable. Take care.

Upvote 0

coolstylinstud

Senior Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
✟16,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, let's. We're left with a particular church that real and fullfilling. "Today WE want.....". Since when is Christianity about what we want? "Youngsters" are seeking out a false sense of "coolness". If we teach them that church has to look like the world to be "cool" or acceptable, then we're saying to them the world dictates what the church should look like and how the church should conduct itself to be socially acceptable. Take care

What everyone is saying is that we shouldnt do anything like the world well heres a hint the world plays instruments on stage so we shouldnt either the world eats so we shouldnt either i mean you guys are saying that everything the world does is bad and yes i realize the worldy things are evil but not the way it was made wich is what we are trying to do by making it christian again.

Upvote 0

Sonate

Apr 19, 2005
Stockton, CA
✟375.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
The most successful churches seem to be the ones with all the "pop and fluff" of worldly entertainment, and very little solid Biblical teachings. I stay away from those. The Christians of Acts were far different than those in churches who want to be part of the world, and "hip" ... my other church that we attended got into heavy metal music, and pop culture theatrics until it sickened me enough to leave it. I prefer a church that does a lot of worship, rather than the hype to attract those that want nothing to do with spirituality. If the congregration wants nothing but entertainment, then there is no room for God.

Upvote 0

jsw_24

Apr 14, 2005
MS
✟530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
?Hip? Cool?
Since when?
I mean, since when has the christain faith been about being hip or cool?
This is the problem.
Christ as entertainment
That's the ticket. Blessings.

Why not have the hip cool stuff to draw them in and then get to the even better stuff getting them saved
Why not live our lives in a manner that creates a genuine want to seek out God and his truths? I can understand a few big pop-ular events a year, but the OP was more refering to the continuous conformation of churches to look and behave in a manner that's looking more and more like the world.You get alot of kids (and olders) coming to church on a continuous basis to be entertained and not to be "Fed" and seek God.

Here's my question (to the OP): are you complaining about the method of delivering the message, or are you complaining about the message not being preached correctly?
If your issue is that the method of preaching is to "pop-cultureish," I suggest that you heed the advice of Paul: "I have become all things to all people so that I might save some."
Not complaining i hope. Jus' Voicing concern. As i typed in the above, i don't think it's bad to have a few or more modern/pop/showy/whatever - events a year to draw people in, but my concern is when every Sunday and Wed (and whenever), becomes a big showy production that becomes the spotlight focus, and not just the stage. - I don't think Paul wanted Christians to become the World to reach the World. Of course there's no escaping having some/alot of the world rub off on us. We're surrounded by it, eat it, breathe it, build it, etc., but there needs to be a healthy and noticable seperation as well. Jus' concerned the trend seems to be leaning more towards the conformation to the world and not to a noticable Brilliance to reach others for God. God bless.

Upvote 0

jsw_24

Apr 14, 2005
MS
✟530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What everyone is saying is that we shouldnt do anything like the world well heres a hint the world plays instruments on stage so we shouldnt either the world eats so we shouldnt either i mean you guys are saying that everything the world does is bad and yes i realize the worldy things are evil but not the way it was made wich is what we are trying to do by making it christian again.
Not saying we shouldn't use the things the world does, just HOW we use and MANAGE them. Agreed. Take care.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.