Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why would he comment on his daughters' availability during a political speech? If a Democrat had done something like this, the Republicans would be castrating him (metaphorically, of course) for it.

Not this republican. I love to see politicians acting like parents, aka "real people".

Now, if Obama had done it, yeah, different matter considering how old his daughters are.

Frankly I'm not even sure why this made headline news.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why would he comment on his daughters' availability during a political speech? If a Democrat had done something like this, the Republicans would be castrating him (metaphorically, of course) for it.
There's no way to verify that, so it's pretty much a useless statement. I think it'd be more accurate to say that both sides will use any means of attacking their political opponents, no matter how trivial or juvenile.

Upvote 0
A

a_nony_mous

Not this republican. I love to see politicians acting like parents, aka "real people".

Now, if Obama had done it, yeah, different matter considering how old his daughters are.

Frankly I'm not even sure why this made headline news.
But shouldn't the parenting be saved for times other than a political speech? Or are you a fan of political speeches that have more to do with the person acting likeable (a la Palin's "you betchas" and constant winking) than they have to do with actual politics?

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
^_^

Attachments

• 1264272310779.jpg
    1264272310779.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
But shouldn't the parenting be saved for times other than a political speech? Or are you a fan of political speeches that have more to do with the person acting likeable (a la Palin's "you betchas" and constant winking) than they have to do with actual politics?

I like a politician who can be a politician and a person at the same time and do both well. Obama consistently brings up his daughters in political speeches...do I need to remind you of the infamous "punishment" speech? Politicians aren't robots. I never could understand why everyone got so down on Howard Dean and the Scream of the Century, but it seems to me now that it's because he broke out of some unwritten mold about how politicians have to act.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Or are you a fan of political speeches that have more to do with the person acting likeable (a la Palin's "you betchas" and constant winking) than they have to do with actual politics?

You really want to go down this road? Obama's entire campaign was him trying to appear "cool" and "hip". Fancy words with no substance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

a_nony_mous

Or are you a fan of political speeches that have more to do with the person acting likeable (a la Palin's "you betchas" and constant winking) than they have to do with actual politics?

You really want to go down this road? Obama's entire campaign was him trying to appear "cool" and "hip". Fancy words with no substance.
At least he didn't use his children as political pawns, like Palin did with Trig. And at least he doesn't try to find playmates for his friends during his political speeches in the same way that Brown tried to find dates for his daughters during his speech. You see, Obama actually knows how to keep his parenting life and his political life separate. Republican politicians should learn from him.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
So? You're implying there is something unethical about the above. So what if politicians bring family into political life? You're going to have to prove first that it is deplorable behavior, which you have failed to do.

You chastise me for bringing Obama into the thread, but you do the exact same thing bringing Palin into the discussion. So which is it? Are outside politicians irrelevant or relevant to the topic?

By the way, Palin isn't the president; I never supported Palin; and I'm not a Republican.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Attachments

• barackobamaebony.jpg
    barackobamaebony.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 48
  • obama-people-magazine-cover1.jpg
    obama-people-magazine-cover1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Obama GQ Cover.jpg
    Obama GQ Cover.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 49
  • washingtonian2.png
    washingtonian2.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 130209vogue.jpg
    130209vogue.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Obama is the biggest celebrity-politician there is. He abandons his principles the moment his popularity comes into danger. Actors elected to political positions aren't even close to the celebrity-harlot status Obama has reached.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have infinitely more respect for Bush than I do Obama. You see, I can disagree with his policies and decisions but still respect the man who made them. Someone who can withstand constant onslaught without folding is a unique character indeed. Of course, this can be both a virtue and a vice: pride can make such a person unwilling to admit when they are wrong, and change direction when they have erred. However, this is a common flaw that everyone falls prey to. Obama, on the other hand, will give in to the whims of the majority every time; he has no backbone. I'd rather have a politician willing to stand their ground than someone who relies on the opinion others hold of him to determine the best course of action. Some will tempt argue that this is beneficial; that it gives the people control. Yet they would not even dare to do so if it was their political position that is abandoned in favor of the whims of the majority. And considering how quickly the political landscape changes and how much propaganda influences the masses, it is absolute folly to rely on their ever-changing opinions. Those that elect a politician expect they will uphold their promises and will commit their full attention to standing fast to them. Obama is malleable and weak. He doesn't even abandon his position so that the "people" are determining the political direction of the country; he does so because he has no strength to maintain his position, because he cares more for popularity than what is best for the country, and this is the weakest and most dishonorable flaw of character.

But this is about Brown. Personally I think we have more pressing concerns than a politician who makes an embarrassing comment in a wave of happiness. Can anyone here say they have not done likewise?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
At least he didn't use his children as political pawns, like Palin did with Trig. And at least he doesn't try to find playmates for his friends during his political speeches in the same way that Brown tried to find dates for his daughters during his speech. You see, Obama actually knows how to keep his parenting life and his political life separate. Republican politicians should learn from him.

He sure as shootin' used them as political pawns. I guess I DO need to remind you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNzmly28Bmg

"I've got two daughters, age 9 and 6" "I don't want to see them punished"

This, in an address while on the campaign trail.

How did Palin specifically use her kid Trig as a political pawn that Obama didn't do the same?

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Anon, you haven't even proven how exactly he has "used" his family for political purposes. It seems to me that he was trying to include them in his victory, as they both assisted him in his political campaign, and he wished to shine the spotlight on them for their help and steadfast loyalty. How, exactly, is that using his family as pawns?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Anon, you haven't even proven how exactly he has "used" his family for political purposes. It seems to me that he was trying to include them in his victory, as they both assisted him in his political campaign, and he wished to shine the spotlight on them for their help and steadfast loyalty. How, exactly, is that using his family as pawns?

Perhaps mous thinks that Brown's daughters being good looking got him elected?? ^_^

Upvote 0