Brain-Dead Woman's Baby Dies

Mystery24

Sep 8, 2005
✟15,133.00
Faith
Pagan
Politics
US-Green
An infant born last month to an unconscious, severely brain-damaged mother has died, the family said Monday.

Susan Anne Catherine Torres, born prematurely on Aug. 2, died of heart failure Sunday after emergency surgery to repair a perforated intestine, a family statement said. A spokeswoman at St. Rita's Church in Alexandria said parishioners were told of the child's death during the morning Mass.
(source: cbsnews website)
Sad story. :(

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
jlujan69 said:
Who here remembers the article alluded to in the OP being posted last month in this forum?
i could easily dig it up. why do you ask?

it is interesting that you do ask though, as i was going to make a point about this poor baby dying. when he/she was born it was hailed by many as a miracle of gods saving grace. just curious to know everyone's opinions now that he/she has died.

i ask because there are some of us on this board, and other similar boards, that profess to know that god sent katrina to NO to "cleanse" the sinful city. regardless of how preposterous it might seem to some of us to claim to know gods intentions, it is still vehemently argued.

any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Oblivious

Matthew 7:12
Nov 6, 2003
The Mile High City
✟31,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
imind said:
i could easily dig it up. why do you ask?

it is interesting that you do ask though, as i was going to make a point about this poor baby dying. when he/she was born it was hailed by many as a miracle of gods saving grace. just curious to know everyone's opinions now that he/she has died.

i ask because there are some of us on this board, and other similar boards, that profess to know that god sent katrina to NO to "cleanse" the sinful city. regardless of how preposterous it might seem to some of us to claim to know gods intentions, it is still vehemently argued.

any thoughts?

Yeah, I know exactly what you're saying - for some the things that we want to happen are always labeled as "God's Will". So how does anyone know this? Anyway, I don't know how but I missed the Katrina threads, but I'm glad I did. That's just sick that anyone would say that. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,263.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He was an inspiration to many people because of his unconditional love for his wife and daughter, and his determination to follow what he believed his wife's wishes would have been.

It's a terrible tragedy. There was such joy when the little girl was born.

And I have the feeling that, should such a situation come up again, the doctors will not consent to keep a brain-dead mother alive for 12 weeks (they had attempted it successfully for shorter periods of time, and delivered healthy babies, but never for as long a time as this.)

They will probably consider it too great a waste of resources with too slender a possibility of success.

Upvote 0

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He was an inspiration to many people because of his unconditional love for his wife and daughter, and his determination to follow what he believed his wife's wishes would have been.
this certainly sounds familiar.

And I have the feeling that, should such a situation come up again, the doctors will not consent to keep a brain-dead mother alive for 12 weeks
would this be up to the doctors? i assumed that, as long as it was being funded and it was the will of the patient, they would continue indefinately.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
imind said:
would this be up to the doctors?

In most cases, no it wouldn't. There are a few exceptions here and there. One of which is in Texas where, IIRC, for patients that cannot afford treatment, if several doctors agree that unconcious patient cannot recover (i.e. in a permanent coma), then they can let the patient die regardless of the family's (and patient's?) wishes.

This wouldn't apply to this situation though, as there was a unborn child involved. Doctors would try to save the child. Where this idea that doctors just love to let brain dead people die, regardless of the situation, came from is beyond me.

In this particular case, it wasn't so much of a big deal that the mother was brain-dead, but that she had cancer. They managed to keep the cancer away from the baby long enough for it to mature to a point that it had a chance to survive outside the womb.

Upvote 0