• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

ananar23

fgjnsj
Dec 8, 2003
✟361.00
Faith
Christian
BPD is actually borderline personality disorder. its someone who shows characteristics of both psychosis and neurosis and theres lots more to it, but yeah.
I am sorry to hear of your bipolar. I understand your SI, i havent done it in about a year (thanks be to God!), but i think about it sometimes. I have scars from cuts, burns, and stitches. I truly hope and pray that you will find better coping mechanisms as that is why most ppl SI. basically cuz its our way of crying...to us crying would be laughter. anyway, im no shrink this is just my personal point of view. Take care of yourself and God bless!!!!

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have BP. What I think few BiPolars realize is that many of us also have BPD as well. But the overwhelming problem that it stems from for us is the BP. There are those that have only BPD. In a BP it is due to a chemical change in the brain and in BPD's it is more often than not pyschological in nature. So yes I understand both and understand the nature of trying to hurt one's self. I take meds for it now and have for about 7 yrs. Before that I was a mess. Frequently locked up in institutions and always self medicating. I have been sober now for almost 5 yrs. You are very lucky that through the Grace of God you found out early on in life and not later. It is very hard to live with so many thoughts and such confusion in ones head all of the time. It is also very hard when you don't even know at times if you did something because you lost spaces of time but people told you did. Or they tell you that you weren't acting yourself and you can't remember. That is why I started to drink to block it out. And by the way that was not the best decision and I do not advocate it. This was at the hieght of my illness when I finally went and got help. The other lesson I learned is this the only time medication can work for you is if you keep taking it even if you think that you don't need it. It does get to me sometimes to have take pills for the rest of my life but it is that or get sick again. When you feel better it means it is working and that you have to keep taking it to keep feeling better. I say this because I have seen so many people when they are feeling better that believe they don't need it anymore and they get sick again. I was one of them. i hope that this has helped a little.
Debi

Upvote 0

ananar23

fgjnsj
Dec 8, 2003
✟361.00
Faith
Christian
My dad was actually BP, but he didnt take his meds. He turned to alcohol and other drugs. He went nuts (no offense) and displayed fits of violence during this time and also struggled with PTSD. I was diagnosed with a (ok, someone is gonna think im crazy after this confession) list of other personality disorders, but this is the one that most affects me. I was 15 at the time of the diagnosis and was told i could "grow out of it". although most times i feel fine, on occasion i dont feel anything at all and that is the worst. either that or i am way too sensitive and my feelings are hurt way too easily. I also turned to drugs and alcohol in my teen years. i have been sober for 5 yrs as well!!! or maybe 4? anyway, congrats debi and thanks be to God!!!
God bless everyone....

Upvote 0

jayebrownlee

Senior Veteran
Jul 23, 2002
Aberdeen, Scotland
Visit site
✟18,244.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have borderline personality disorder due to several rapes I have experienced at the hand of my brother. If you, or anyone, wants to talk to someone who has been there done that and bought the T-shirt - i also SI then PM me.

Jay

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
jayebrownlee said:
I have borderline personality disorder due to several rapes I have experienced at the hand of my brother. If you, or anyone, wants to talk to someone who has been there done that and bought the T-shirt - i also SI then PM me.

Jay
LOL funny I usually tell people that I have earned my degree. Sorry to here about what your brother did to you. earned my degree there too although I don't talk about it much. It was my father and he left permanently when I was nine so it stopped then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayebrownlee

Senior Veteran
Jul 23, 2002
Aberdeen, Scotland
Visit site
✟18,244.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
1. Affect
* chronic/major depression
* helplessness
* hopelessness
* worthlessness
* guilt
* anger (including frequent expressions of anger)
* anxiety
* loneliness
* boredom
* emptiness
2. Cognition
* odd thinking
* unusual perceptions
* nondelusional paranoia
* quasipsychosis
3. Impulse action patterns
* substance abuse/dependence
* sexual deviance
* manipulative suicide gestures
* other impulsive behaviors
4. Interpersonal relationships
* intolerance of aloneness
* abandonment, engulfment, annihilation fears
* counterdependency
* stormy relationships
* manipulativeness
* dependency
* devaluation
* masochism/sadism
* demandingness
* entitlement

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
jayebrownlee said:
1. Affect
* chronic/major depression
* helplessness
* hopelessness
* worthlessness
* guilt
* anger (including frequent expressions of anger)
* anxiety
* loneliness
* boredom
* emptiness
2. Cognition
* odd thinking
* unusual perceptions
* nondelusional paranoia
* quasipsychosis
3. Impulse action patterns
* substance abuse/dependence
* sexual deviance
* manipulative suicide gestures
* other impulsive behaviors
4. Interpersonal relationships
* intolerance of aloneness
* abandonment, engulfment, annihilation fears
* counterdependency
* stormy relationships
* manipulativeness
* dependency
* devaluation
* masochism/sadism
* demandingness
* entitlement
Man even with all the work that I have done to overcome things and with my medication I still fit a great deal of this criteria.

Upvote 0