Lethe

Jul 14, 2011
Somewhere in the Luminiferous Ether
✟1,671.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
My thoughts exactly. Why some people keep harping over race in this thread is beyond me. It is irrelevant unless at some point it is actually confirmed as a motive.

I think if you thought I was, "harping over race," when discussing the mathematical premise behind establishing a counterfactual, then you missed the point.

I was demonstrating how absurd it was to jump to the conclusion that the crime was racially motivated and simultaneously establishing that white on black crime is much more suspect in that regard.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,659.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think the point is, if it were a black man killed by white kids, the media would be tying this as a racist murder...

Not that racist murders are any worse than murders for theft. Murder is murder, and these boys deserve to be punished severely for it.

You are omitting one element.

I at least do not recall any cases like that which were blown up.

It isn't until you get to the 'and the police are going to let them get away with it'.

That one element makes a difference.

Upvote 0

BlunderAngel

Aug 3, 2013
✟1,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who cares whether he survived Okinawa? A couple of teens beat an old man to death! ....
:prayer: God rest his soul. And bring peace and comfort the grief of his family and friends.

These boys need prayer too. :groupray: Their failings began at home for them to arrive at this point thinking to do this evil thing to such a frail old man. They beat him to death! Kids! :( Beat the life out of someone.

God forgive them and help them to be better people in the end.

Who cares whether he survived Okinawa? A couple of teens beat an old man to death!

Seriously, what does it matter what he survived? Would anything be different if he was just a regular old 88-year old who worked 40 years as an accountant in an office?
I'm sure everyone cares that reads this.
I'm sure his family care and his friends.
And I think, at least for me, that he is a veteran of Okinawa makes this tragedy all the more impacting in that he lived through that nightmare. He lived to be 88 years of age and what took him out? Three teen boys who jumped him while he was on his way into a Veterans club to play pool.
They didn't shoot him like the enemy of old would have. Or blow him up with a hand grenade like would have happened in war.
No, these three kids beat this man to death with the flashlights in their hands! Up close and personal bludgeoning until he stopped screaming, moving, breathing.

Who cares that he was a Veteran in the course of this?
Really?

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
One point,
if the 88 yr old was black and the teens white,
it wouldn't matter what the motive was, it is assumed racial.

One of three black men kill an Australian writes several racist comments and people are outraged at the mere suggestion that the murder was racially motivated.

Racism is a one way street in the eyes of the media. Only someone who's grandfather faced the racist period of our past can suffer from racism. Other races being beaten by minorities are simply crimes. They are not above modifying the facts to fit white on black racism either.(hispanic on black no sell, white on black blockbuster.)

Upvote 0

BlunderAngel

Aug 3, 2013
✟1,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One point,
if the 88 yr old was black and the teens white,
it wouldn't matter what the motive was, it is assumed racial.

One of three black men kill an Australian writes several racist comments and people are outraged at the mere suggestion that the murder was racially motivated.

Racism is a one way street in the eyes of the media. Only someone who's grandfather faced the racist period of our past can suffer from racism. Other races being beaten by minorities are simply crimes. They are not above modifying the facts to fit white on black racism either.(hispanic on black no sell, white on black blockbuster.)

Sadly the readers will very often follow the programming the media instills. People will actually become angry when it is suggested something like this particular case was racially motivated. They'll scream for proof. When three black teens beat a white 88 year old man to death and that seemingly isn't enough right there.

The focus will then be on those daring to call it racist in nature, so that the poor victim is secondary to the affront some take in the race card being interjected.

Would we have heard about this had these three teens beat a young black gay man to death? Or if they had beaten a young a black man who was walking to his gym to go work out?
What then?

Three kids decided they were bored? Looks like it. So they decided they'd have fun beating an old white guy to death with flashlights. Hunting in the dark with weapons to light their way.

Trial as adults would be fair. Never seeing the light of day again would be justice as a life without parole sentence.
Anyone this young that voluntarily choose to do this should be shut away for the sake of the future.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think the point is, if it were a black man killed by white kids, the media would be tying this as a racist murder...

Not that racist murders are any worse than murders for theft. Murder is murder, and these boys deserve to be punished severely for it.

My thoughts exactly. I'd like to see people react the same to each murder, rather than selectively acting horrified by one and then nonchalant at another.

You are omitting one element.

I at least do not recall any cases like that which were blown up.

It isn't until you get to the 'and the police are going to let them get away with it'.

That one element makes a difference.

But that still doesn't really factor race. These boys are juveniles, actually, so it will be interesting to see how the court treats them. I read somewhere I think that they will hopefully be tried as adults, but I've read so many different things on this case that I could be wrong. If they're tried as juveniles, it's as good as them getting away with it, but I doubt it would be considered a racial crime (not that it really matters in the end).

The loss of life is always a tragedy. Always.

Upvote 0

Lethe

Jul 14, 2011
Somewhere in the Luminiferous Ether
✟1,671.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
If they're tried as juveniles, it's as good as them getting away with it, but I doubt it would be considered a racial crime (not that it really matters in the end).

Why bother with the juvenile system at all...

Upvote 0
K

kellhus

My thoughts exactly. I'd like to see people react the same to each murder, rather than selectively acting horrified by one and then nonchalant at another.

But that still doesn't really factor race. These boys are juveniles, actually, so it will be interesting to see how the court treats them. I read somewhere I think that they will hopefully be tried as adults, but I've read so many different things on this case that I could be wrong. If they're tried as juveniles, it's as good as them getting away with it, but I doubt it would be considered a racial crime (not that it really matters in the end).

The loss of life is always a tragedy. Always.

I read in the paper this morning that one is confirmed for being tried as an adult. It's not a racial crime, apparently their investigation with the boy in custody and some friends determined that the boys were just looking for someone to rob. The victim was just their random target, chosen because he just happened to be there and alone.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I read in the paper this morning that one is confirmed for being tried as an adult. It's not a racial crime, apparently their investigation with the boy in custody and some friends determined that the boys were just looking for someone to rob. The victim was just their random target, chosen because he just happened to be there and alone.

Pure speculation on my part, but I have to wonder if they would've done the same had it been a black man.

Even if it had been, I'm not sure it would be because he was black, though.

This is why I hate the term "hate crime". To me, every crime like this is rooted in hate.

Upvote 0