Boeing 737: Trump's gov. shutdown delayed fixes to airplane involved in multiple deadly crashes

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,651.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There have been some striking recent examples of corporations not policing their own quality.

Boeing hides information relating to problems with their new aircraft. Suffers billions in damage when they started falling out of the sky.
Boeing Withheld Information on 737 Model, According to Safety Experts and Others

Recently the Vale corporation of Brazil fired an inspection firm that refused to certify one of their dams (according to the Vale's own standards) that later collapsed killing over 100 people.
Brazil's Vale fired inspection firm that failed to certify dam: prosecutors | Reuters

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
CRUCIFY HIM!! CRUCIFY HIM!!

Well you've got a point. Donald frequently acts as though he's being crucified when he's merely being criticized & held accountable for his actions, exactly as he ought to be. He has the tendency to whip up a frenzy in his base making it out like how he's being treated is comparable to the crucifixion of Christ, & that he's just as blameless. It's pathetic.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I figured they would be blaming Trump, its always his fault. He can do no right:)

Well it's not always his fault but it's frequently his fault. He's fully to blame for the government shutdown & the consequences of it. I don't think you're correct that he can do no right, but he sure fails to do much that is right.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Got a legitimate source?

They make Fox look unbiased.

Well, you have access to the internet since you're on the internet making a complaint. If a source is not to your liking you have the ability to find one that is. It's simple to do. I've even given you a link before for LMGTFY (Let Me Google That For You) & that was insufficient for you. So please seek your own source instead of asking to be catered. If you copy & paste the thread title into Google, then click Google News you will find options. If you're unwilling or unable to do that, please do not post in my threads again.

US officials say the recent government shutdown played a part in the delay of Boeing’s software update for its 737 Max aircraft, which has now been grounded by airlines and countries around the world after two deadly accidents in the past 5 months.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟727,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, you have access to the internet since you're on the internet making a complaint. If a source is not to your liking you have the ability to find one that is. It's simple to do. I've even given you a link before for LMGTFY (Let Me Google That For You) & that was insufficient for you. So please seek your own source instead of asking to be catered. If you copy & paste the thread title into Google, then click Google News you will find options. If you're unwilling or unable to do that, please do not post in my threads again.

US officials say the recent government shutdown played a part in the delay of Boeing’s software update for its 737 Max aircraft, which has now been grounded by airlines and countries around the world after two deadly accidents in the past 5 months.

The title of the op is misleading. Will you be correcting it?

You made the claim.

Back it up with facts. The source of the op is dubious at best. Sort of on the level of Brietbart.

If google is so easy.

Prove your claim or correct it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟281,287.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I work as an aviation analyst and I deal with the US FAA and Boeing directly.

I can tell you that the US government shut down definitely did delay publishing of Airworthiness Directives, NOTAMS and other official publications from the FAA. It also basically halted ongoing safety verification work, including cooperation between the FAA and Boeing.

The FAA issued an emergency AD on 07 November, alerting operators to software issues, and then proposed a regular AD on 07 December, revising certificate limitations and operating procedures of the airplane flight manual "prompted by analysis performed by the manufacturer showing that if an erroneously high single angle of attack (AOA) sensor input is received by the flight control system, there is a potential for repeated nose-down trim commands of the horizontal stabilizer."

However, the implementation date of the proposed AD was 22-Jan-2019, so no specific fixes would have been implemented for at least 8 weeks afterwards.

The shut down definitely would have meant that the FAA is playing catch up on submissions to the December AD, and would have been forced to delay issuing a new AD had one been required during the shut down.

HOWEVER, there's always a grace period (usually minimum 30 days) to implement fixes, so even if the government shut down hadn't occurred, its unlikely the FAA would have required any action on 737 MAX software fixes by now.

So, its both a yes (the shut down did delay delivery of essential safety services) and a no (the shut down did not delay any specific fixes for the 737 MAX).

Essentially, its just timing and dumb luck that there was no delay to any required or proposed fixes, just as a result of how long the airworthiness process takes.

Clear?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,456,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...well, we know 737's are not up to spec, just ask Trump (who, of course, could not resist pre-empting the FAA in announcing the grounding).

In his words, it “sxxxxx.”

The president said Boeing 737s paled in comparison to the Boeing 757, known as Trump Force One, which he owns as a personal jet, according to White House and transportation officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5b8d80a1e4f_story.html?utm_term=.5c4dd0d170ea

... "Trump Airlines", which never made a profit, flew 727's

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The title of the op is misleading. Will you be correcting it?

You made the claim.

Back it up with facts. The source of the op is dubious at best. Sort of on the level of Brietbart.

If google is so easy.

Prove your claim or correct it.

If you think a thread title is misleading, instead of making demands you are not entitled to make & being disruptive, report it. If moderators agree with you, they can take action. I'd be glad to change the title if they felt that was necessary. The title of the OP is the title of the news article we're discussing, not an original claim I'm making. You've made the claim that it is misleading without backing that claim up with facts from a reputable source. The source of the OP is not dubious; it's actually rated high for factual reporting & only having a slight bias. It's entirely inaccurate to claim it's on the level of Breitbart. It's also entirely irrelevant since we're not here to discuss the quality of the source but the content presented in it. If you are not willing to do that, please leave this thread.

Upvote 0