hal

Sep 18, 2003
Coronado, CA
Visit site
✟15,287.00
Faith
Christian
Greetings!
We make a practice of inviting the Holy Spirit to be present when we pray for healing. There is a member of the class who says there is no Scripture justification for addessing or speaking to the Holy Spirit. What can I show him?

Also, in our prayer for deliverance from an evil spirit, we say a proclamation to Satan as to who we are in Chrst through His shed blood. Again, this member says he can no Scripture wherein it says we can tell this to Satan.

How can I respond to him?

Thanks, Hal

HumbleBee

Jan 8, 2004
✟3,212.00
Faith
Christian
These verses imply interaction with the Holy Spirit...

To receive from and be respectful to their Teacher and Guide, one must address their Chief Commanding Officer! ;)

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My Name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16:14 Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come.

Knowing not what to pray means asking (addressing) the Holy Spirit who does know! :D

Romans 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Being moved (unction) by the Holy Spirit means obviously addressing Him to acknowedge and follow His leading! ;)

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

As for addressing Satan...:eek:...proceed with muchhhhhhhhhh caution. Just participated in a Bible study on spiritual authority 2 nights ago and was certainly talk of the sons of Sceva who got attacked by demons as they prayed for deliverance. They were overcome because their hearts were not fully submitted to Jesus. While believers have 'technically' been given authority over the works of the devil, the effectiveness of their authority has much to do with their committment and obedience to Christ. The more reverent and spiritually mature one is, the more authority they will be Divinely enabled to exercise. Spiritual authority isn't something to walk in glibly, nor ignorantly, nor pridefully. Furthermore, unless the devil is manifesting in some way, why even get his attention and draw peoples' attention to him? Focus on Jesus, don't be distracted, nor distract others with the enemy.

Acts 19:13-20 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the LORD Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth. And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified. And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds. Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed.

Zechariah 3:1-2 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?

Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said, I give you all power to tread on the power of the enemy, (parapharsed) Now the Sons of Sceva, neither had been given authority through the Baptism of the Holy Ghost. Jesus said "You shall receive power, after the Holy Ghost has come upon you. When people get jumped on by Satan, like the Sons of Sceva, we can see clearly, they had not the unction from the Holy Spirit or the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Jesus said to cast out devils, heal the sick, raise the dead. As far a Michael the arch angel, thats what he is, an angel. We are the Sons of God. Now people that dont recognize the authority they have in Christ, might have some difficulty when dealing with the devil. But those that do know their authority in Christ, Satan trembles.

Upvote 0

HumbleBee

Jan 8, 2004
✟3,212.00
Faith
Christian
Luke 10:17-18 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through Thy name. And He said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

Trish that is the verse you are referring to... :) so like I said Jesus has given believers power over the power of the devil, though as spiritual maturity progresses, He bestows ever increasing levels of authority to exercise this power. Divine power should certainly be handled with great reverence and wisdom from above.

Upvote 0

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Trish1947 said:
Jesus said, I give you all power to tread on the power of the enemy, (parapharsed) Now the Sons of Sceva, neither had been given authority through the Baptism of the Holy Ghost. Jesus said "You shall receive power, after the Holy Ghost has come upon you. When people get jumped on by Satan, like the Sons of Sceva, we can see clearly, they had not the unction from the Holy Spirit or the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Jesus said to cast out devils, heal the sick, raise the dead. As far a Michael the arch angel, thats what he is, an angel. We are the Sons of God. Now people that dont recognize the authority they have in Christ, might have some difficulty when dealing with the devil. But those that do know their authority in Christ, Satan trembles.
I agree, HumbleBee, maturity in Christ, grounded and settled, and He gives the increase.

Upvote 0

padey

Jun 3, 2004
✟174.00
Faith
Pentecostal
hal said:
Greetings!
We make a practice of inviting the Holy Spirit to be present when we pray for healing. There is a member of the class who says there is no Scripture justification for addessing or speaking to the Holy Spirit. What can I show him?

Also, in our prayer for deliverance from an evil spirit, we say a proclamation to Satan as to who we are in Chrst through His shed blood. Again, this member says he can no Scripture wherein it says we can tell this to Satan.

How can I respond to him?

Thanks, Hal

We talk to our Father and we talk to Jesus. The Spirit is the Spirit of Jesus. So where is the problem???

I'm not sure why you'd want to give your spiritual CV to Satan before enter into deliverance. You just do the stuff because he already knows it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.