Better to be single?

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I believe it varies depending on the situation. I thought I was called to enter the religious life in a monestary, but after speaking with Father Wert of the Carmelite Order, I feel that, as he stated it, they are "equally beautiful realities" that one is called to.

God Bless,

Neal

Upvote 0

the_man

" My heart is spoken for&
Nov 21, 2002
Boulder CO
✟16,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
1 Corinthians 7:1b "It is good for a man not to marry"

Being single is not better than marriage, it is good.  Marriage is good also.  They are both different, they are both good.

I believe I'm called to be single today, hence I am.  Things may change tomorrow, only God knows.

Upvote 0
To answer the question, God tells us its better to be single, we can focus on our Lord and his purposes.  A spouse distracts from that (divided heart).  

Here's His words.

1Corinthians 7 gives us His model here's a bit on the said topic.

32 I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs how he can please the Lord. <SUP>33</SUP>But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world how he can please his wife34and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world how she can please her husband.35I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

Job_38

<font size="1"> In perfect orbit they have circled
Jul 24, 2002
✟2,013.00
8th April 2003 at 06:32 AM the_man said this in Post #3

1 Corinthians 7:1b "It is good for a man not to marry"

Being single is not better than marriage, it is good.&nbsp; Marriage is good also.&nbsp; They are both different, they are both good.

I believe I'm called to&nbsp;be single&nbsp;today, hence I am.&nbsp; Things&nbsp;may change tomorrow, only God knows.

<SUP>1</SUP>Now about the questions you asked in your letter. Yes, it is good to live a celibate life.<SUP>2</SUP>But because there is so much sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman should have her own husband

&nbsp;

&nbsp;Its best to expound on that verse. Paul is giving some practical imformation to the people at Corinth. Since there was so much sexual impurity, he was telling them that it would just be better to have a wife and not to fall in that temptation.

Upvote 0

Casgeroth

N/A
Apr 9, 2003
N/A
✟15,145.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
I feel that both are good and both have their own blessings.
I am single and I find myself realising how good it can be and cherishing that. God has made the union of marriage into a beautiful thing, a wonderful partnership.
Personally, I think i'll be single for a long time :)
At least until God says otherwise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavingCady

Be still and know that I am God.
Apr 15, 2012
Waterloo, IA, USA
Visit site
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In Corinthians, it is clearly stated it is better to be single...that a virgin woman should not look for a husband. BUT it also clearly states that it is NOT a sin to get married, and that if you want to get married...well, then get married!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For some people, yes. For others, no. We cannot universalize from what is the best for a particular person. Sin is anything less than perfection. If either marriage or celibacy is better than the other, then the other is less than the best possible choice, and therefore sin. That is not the case. So no, it is not better (in a universal sense) to be single. It is an individual matter.

Upvote 0

SavingCady

Be still and know that I am God.
Apr 15, 2012
Waterloo, IA, USA
Visit site
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Being Single is better, marrige is not all that it is crack up to be which is why the divorce rate is so high. I know some people who are heading to divorce court or miserable in their marriages.

That's because a lot of people have unrealistic expectations when they get married. I, for one, am one of those people. I'm still looking for a "Hollywood Romance" - and trust me, I'm trying to put that behind me.

Upvote 0

anewday

This girl is on fire.
Apr 24, 2010
Golden Coast
✟30,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone believe that being single is better than being married or that they are called to be single?

Wow, did anybody else realize how OLD this thread is ^_^? Anyway, I think it depends on the person. I really wish I had that special someone in my life right now, but it hasn't happened yet and life is going fine without him. Maybe someday....:pray:...

Upvote 0