Best way to describe hell to people?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hell is cremation, you will be crushed into a powder, thrown to the four winds and is eternal separation with God.
Except we are not burned up or crushed to a powder - the intensity of the burning exists forever.

And God sustains us from being vaporized by the intensity of it:

Psalm 139:8b If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
(All of this is something I've posted before over the years. If you've read it before, then it is literally because I've copied and pasted old posts of mine. This topic comes up a lot.)

What's heaven and what's hell? Hebrews 12:29 says that God is a consuming fire.

It's how we decide to relate to Him that makes the difference. Salvation (theosis) is becoming by grace what God is by nature- not becoming God in essence but participating in His energies. Simply put, if one is participating in God's energies, that is heaven, but if one is not, then that is hell. Think of the story of the three youths in the fiery furnace- they were able to walk around in the fire without being burned, while others couldn't even get near the fire without perishing. The fire didn't change for anyone.

Yeas ago CF used to have a wiki type thing that no longer exists, but this was on it:
'The Orthodox teaching is that Heaven and Hell are the same "place", standing in front of God. The Judgment is individual perception, determined by one's relationship to God. This perception will determine whether or not one experiences it as paradise (Heaven) or agony (Hell) eternally.'

Here is a quote from an old Wikipedia article on the topic (that doesn't seem to be around anymore) that I thought explained it pretty well:
"For many ancient Christians, Hell was the same "place" as Heaven: living in the presence of God and directly experiencing God's love. Whether this was experienced as pleasure or torment depended on one's disposition towards God. St. Isaac of Syria wrote in Mystic Treatises: "... those who find themselves in Hell will be chastised by the scourge of love. How cruel and bitter this torment of love will be! For those who understand that they have sinned against love, undergo greater suffering than those produced by the most fearful tortures. The sorrow which takes hold of the heart, which has sinned against love, is more piercing than any other pain. It is not right to say that the sinners in Hell are deprived of the love of God ... But love acts in two ways, as suffering of the reproved, and as joy in the blessed!" This ancient view is still the doctrine of the Eastern Orthodox Church."

Christ defeated death by death. Sin is missing the mark. The mark is living in accordance to God's will. People were created to commune with God. Christ came to reconcile us to God. In order for us to participate in the energies of God/attain theosis/salvation- we need Christ (very God of very God- both fully God and fully man). We can know God via the person of Christ. As St. Athanasius said, "God became man so that man may become like God." It is a pious opinion that even had sin not entered the world, we still would have need of Christ. In Orthodoxy- we believe that people were not created in this final state of theosis. To go against what they were told by their Creator was a choice they had and did make- the consequence being that death entered the world.

Why is Christ important? Because the scriptures say this about God:

No one has seen or can see God (John 1:18).
He lives in unapproachable light (1 Tim. 6:16).
His ways are unsearchable and unfathomable (Job 11:7-8; Romans 11:33-36).

We look at Christ's work on the cross as being an event that is outside of time. Salvation happened in the past. Via the incarnation (specifically the hypostatic union), it became possible for us to attain theosis. To one in the Church (a Christian), we are being saved. If we persevere, we will be saved in the future. This is only possible through the life, death, and resurrection of Christ. Christ’s suffering death on the cross and resurrection made it possible for us to now have a way through suffering and a way to reconcile ourselves to God (abolishing sin and death) through His human nature. Christ’s ultimate act of suffering love gives us His saving companionship and grace.

Christ went to sheol/hades (sometimes wrongly translated as hell as in the KJV) for three days and preached to those there, raising them from the dead, and reconciling people to God (abolishing sin). Plus, it wasn't too late for Adam and Eve- even then. In the icon of the Resurrection- Christ is depicted trampling the gates of Hades and lifting Adam and Eve from their graves. Christ destroyed death. It is even mentioned in the New Testament how after the Resurrection- many of the righteous dead were resurrected and appeared to many people. Like Adam, we are dead in our sins, but through Christ (the New Adam) we are brought to life (where we were once dead in our sins).

The word hell itself has often been translated in the KJV as meaning hades/sheol and gehenna. However- it isn't accurate.

Sheol = Hades = the grave
Gehenna = The lake of fire
Hades =/= Gehenna

I think that St. John Chrysostom's Paschal sermon expounds on the significance of Christ's death and resurrection for everyone. It brings tears to my eyes every time I hear/read it.
If any man be devout and loveth God,
Let him enjoy this fair and radiant triumphal feast!
If any man be a wise servant,
Let him rejoicing enter into the joy of his Lord.

If any have laboured long in fasting,
Let him how receive his recompense.
If any have wrought from the first hour,
Let him today receive his just reward.
If any have come at the third hour,
Let him with thankfulness keep the feast.
If any have arrived at the sixth hour,
Let him have no misgivings;
Because he shall in nowise be deprived therefore.
If any have delayed until the ninth hour,
Let him draw near, fearing nothing.
And if any have tarried even until the eleventh hour,
Let him, also, be not alarmed at his tardiness.

For the Lord, who is jealous of his honour,
Will accept the last even as the first.
He giveth rest unto him who cometh at the eleventh hour,
Even as unto him who hath wrought from the first hour.
And He showeth mercy upon the last,
And careth for the first;
And to the one He giveth,
And upon the other He bestoweth gifts.
And He both accepteth the deeds,
And welcometh the intention,
And honoureth the acts and praises the offering.

Wherefore, enter ye all into the joy of your Lord;
Receive your reward,
Both the first, and likewise the second.
You rich and poor together, hold high festival!
You sober and you heedless, honour the day!
Rejoice today, both you who have fasted
And you who have disregarded the fast.
The table is full-laden; feast ye all sumptuously.
The calf is fatted; let no one go hungry away.
Enjoy ye all the feast of faith:
Receive ye all the riches of loving-kindness.

Let no one bewail his poverty,
For the universal Kingdom has been revealed.
Let no one weep for his iniquities,
For pardon has shown forth from the grave.
Let no one fear death,
For the Saviour's death has set us free.
He that was held prisoner of it has annihilated it.

By descending into Hell, He made Hell captive.
He embittered it when it tasted of His flesh.
And Isaiah, foretelling this, did cry:
Hell, said he, was embittered
When it encountered Thee in the lower regions.

It was embittered, for it was abolished.
It was embittered, for it was mocked.
It was embittered, for it was slain.
It was embittered, for it was overthrown.
It was embittered, for it was fettered in chains.
It took a body, and met God face to face.
It took earth, and encountered Heaven.
It took that which was seen, and fell upon the unseen.

O Death, where is thy sting?
O Hell, where is thy victory?

Christ is risen, and thou art overthrown!
Christ is risen, and the demons are fallen!
Christ is risen, and the angels rejoice!
Christ is risen, and life reigns!
Christ is risen, and not one dead remains in the grave.
For Christ, being risen from the dead,
Is become the first-fruits of those who have fallen asleep.

To Him be glory and dominion
Unto ages of ages.

Amen.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't raised in the church, so a lot of the church-y answers never made sense to me. I think describing God as our Source of life/peace/wellbeing and hell as a permanent disconnection from that, is a good place to start. We don't know what hell will actually be like, so to try to give literal descriptors is guesswork. But most of us know what the opposite of peace is, to live in a constant state of anxiety attack and fear. No one wants that. And then in the conversation you can use terms the Bible uses, and relate those to the state of eternal pain. We can tell them that the Bible uses those terms, and that we don't know how they literally will play out, but we know it's not good and not necessary. But we also have to tell them that God doesn't choose hell for anyone. The individual chooses it. It is not His will that any should perish. Why did He create it then. Well, I think it's fair to say He did not. He give us the will to choose being connected to Him or not. It is not His choice that anyone choose disconnection. Here's a great quote that could help:

“There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, ‘Thy will be done,’ and those to whom God says, in the end, ‘Thy will be done.’ All that are in Hell, choose it. Without that self-choice there could be no Hell. No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy will ever miss it. Those who seek find. To those who knock it is opened.” --C.S. Lewis

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Last edited:
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,395.00
Faith
Pentecostal
'Non-existent' comes to mind.

The lake of fire is found in ancient Egyptian religion and predates the Jewish and Christian stories by hundreds of years and more.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/hell.htm

That's very interesting article. But it does not mean hell as a place of punishment does not exist. Why? Because it was specifically spoken of by Jesus Christ. And the believers take our thoughts on hell from him. Why? Because He is God and ought to know. So, just because the Egyptions had an idea of a hell, doesn't mean that the Jews and Christians got their idea from them. Jesus spoke more about hell than he did about heaven. Also the Revelation of Jesus Christ to John speaks very specifically about hell and the lake of fire. Which came from Jesus Christ himself after his ascending to the Father. So, no it did not come from the Egyptians.

In fact I think this is evidence that there is planted in man a desire to know God. I mean, where in the world would we ever get an idea that there is an afterlife and a heaven or hell? Once the dead are dead, we see no evidence of where they went or even that they go anywhere at all. Why would we come up with such a notion? I think it's because God implants in us a desire for more that what is here and now. It's that internal desire to believe and know that there is something or someone beyond us. It's that created in his image thing that draws us to know God.

Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With the goal in mind of combating ideas like Satan being like that little red-suited guy we see in popular culture, and the idea that being evil is cool (a very weird thing that has become commonplace among those who have been raised in pain are rebellious as an anesthetic ), I used a old photo of starving victims in a Nazi concentration camp to say hell is more like that.

Upvote 0