Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
you'd be quite surprised actually.
The best marriages are those where both husband and wife realize that good marriages take
work and effort; they don't just happen. Easy divorce laws remove some
of the incentive to make a marriage work. But the greater problem is
that current divorce laws justify the attitude that 'if it doesn't work
out, we can always get a divorce'. Because of this, many marriages take
place that are doomed from the start. These doomed marriages are much
less likely to take place when a substantial legal commitment is required

If neither party wants to stay in it, then the relationship has no chance anyway. If one person
wants to leave, and they have a good reason, they can. If they want to
leave for no particular good reason, then they have to pay the piper.
How about a system where whenever you had a divorce, you had to lose a
toe? Liz Taylor could star in the remake of Footless ...
I'm actually only half-joking. I think this new age/affirmation-mania/
positive reinforcement b.s. that actions should not have negative
consequences leads to masses of morons with delusions of entitlement and
invuneralbility. Let's not leave every emotionally-stunted, immature
idiot with the feeling that they too can do marriage.
Yeah... lose a toe if you get divorced... I like that thought ;)
Let's thank god I'm not in politics, eh?

Translation of the above:

The man is allowed to give his wife crud and if she doesn't want to take it she's a bad person, unfeminine, and violating god's will. And thus, she should be mutilated, for she is not entitled to be treated with respect or as a person.

I see you two are still at it. This exchange here is fun because the first post doesn't even make mention of what you "translate" it into. Keres, you are reading what you want into this post. His main point is that the higher divorce rate is primarily caused today by people not working at their marriages, or working at them completely wrong. In divorce cases where there is no abuse from one party to another, that is generally the cause. Relationships are built on communication. When people fail at communication, bad things will happen. Too many people assume marriage is easy, or they get married without really considering the long-term consequences. They then set themselves up for disaster later.

At the same time, making divorce completely illegal (or really, really hard to attain) is not going to solve anything. It will lead to the old problems of having marital problems being swept away and hidden. Part of the problems in the 1950s and 60s was that women were afraid to speak up, or that society did not allow them to speak up. The feminist movement has fixed that problem. I think that is the actual root of the problem where women stayed in abusive or otherwise tortuous relationships. Society did not permit them to speak openly, and perpetuated fear of leaving the relationship.

Women have been empowered to speak out, and many nowadays will. Filing for divorce in cases of abuse is a no-brainer. It should be granted with no question, after the evidence has been considered and etc etc. However, when we have "marriages" like celebrities getting married for one day (or other absurdly short amounts of time), that's just well ... lame. If you're going to get married, at least try to work at it. Courts should not be granting immediate divorces in cases where the problems stem from the couple not even bothering to attempt to fix them. Yelling does not count as "attempting to fix the problems." The first step should be therapy.

That may be the case today. I'm not really sure. If it isn't, it should be.

Reactions: lux et lex
Upvote 0

Keres

Jan 25, 2010
✟8,169.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
con·text
   /ˈkɒntɛkst/ Show Spelled[kon-tekst]
–noun
the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaningor effect: You have misinterpreted my remark because you took it out of context.
the set of circumstances or facts that surround a particular event, situation, etc.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Why is not knowing the reason for the divorce something that makes it especially sad? Fractured families are sad for those involved regardless of the reason; but
I can't imagine why it's any of my business that they are getting divorced. People's personal lives should be just that, personal.

What I find sad is that we as a culture have decided that we need to know such things as the reasons behind some celebrity's divorce. It is personal issue between Benny Hinn and his wife. I don't need to know or even speculate as to the reasons behind it.

Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
A video

Kind of disturbing, when the rape of a woman (using force) is treated as a joke because the woman happens to be married to her attacker.

That is the mindset you want to return to, isn't it, CiC? That the woman should just put out because she doesn't have a mind of her own and isn't deserving of basic human dignity?

your using barney miller as your argument?? lol

You feminists are so obsessed with rape..Abuse is the same as it was back then..

Upvote 0

lux et lex

light and law
Jan 8, 2009
✟12,029.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You feminists are so obsessed with rape..Abuse is the same as it was back then..

Actually, it's not. Up until recently your spouse could legally rape you. Now they can't. Abuse is not the same. Unless of course you're still "old school" and use the Rule of Thumb when picking out a stick to beat your wife with. If that's the case, I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, it's not. Up until recently your spouse could legally rape you. Now they can't. Abuse is not the same. Unless of course you're still "old school" and use the Rule of Thumb when picking out a stick to beat your wife with. If that's the case, I'm wrong.
Reminding me of Boondock Saints has made you my favorite person for the day :D

Upvote 0

Ellinas

Dec 30, 2009
✟727.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
When people like Benn Hinn suffer a divorce, it is news; And people will want to know the reasons. Why? Because people like Benn Hinn spend their lives preaching to others on how to live their lives. Preaching to others on how to not be sinners etc. So it is only logical to question the reasons why such a person has allowed his marriage to fail!

Personally I believe that couples should do their best to make their marriage work. But if it is beyond saving then the only course to take is divorce. Marriage is not an outing to the countryside. It is a commitment and especially if children are involved; even more so.

Whatever the reasons for his divorce; I hope he reconsiders his holier than thou immage and look at his face in the mirror before he preaches to others!

C'est La Vie!!!!:wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Once again Keres makes this into a feminist issue. Maybe they both abused each other. Thought probably never even crossed your mind: it's always the guy's fault. Benny Hinn is a celebrity; his fame probably takes up a lot of his time and energy. I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply an issue of the wife not receiving marital attention.

Upvote 0

Keres

Jan 25, 2010
✟8,169.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

If you actually think that, you really aren't paying attention.

Today, an abused spouse CAN go to the cops and they won't simply drive her back and tell the abuser to keep the victim 'in line'. It's no longer legal to rape your spouse. It's no longer legal to beat your spouse. In the times that you hold up as the pinnacle, it was legal to do both.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

dies-l

What passes for humor in a given time and place reveals a lot about the cultural norms of said time and place.

Today, partly because of no fault divorce, it s far easier for an abused spouse to get out of the abusive marriage.

Your argument seems to be based on the assumption that divorce is always the worst thing that can happen to a marriage. Many people, including myself, would disagree. Although casual divorce is a horrible phenomenon, it is no worse than people staying in abusive, codependent, addiction based, and otherwise highly dysfunctional marriages. Sometimes, divorce is the better of two bad options.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I find sad is that we as a culture have decided that we need to know such things as the reasons behind some celebrity's divorce. It is personal issue between Benny Hinn and his wife. I don't need to know or even speculate as to the reasons behind it.

I agree. I simply don't comprehend the need to know. I think for many it carries into their day to day lives as well. I would hope that my friends would feel free to confide in me if they need someone to talk to, but I don't feel that people are responsible to satisfy my curiosity by giving me the details of their difficulties. I have a friend going through a break up right now. I don't need to know what happened, I only need to be there for her when she needs to talk about things, or needs to NOT talk about things.

Upvote 0

SmileAndAHandshake

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2003
✟19,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Probably the usual reason for divorce. One party treats the other like crud and the other doesn't want to put up with it anymore.

Certainly a possibility.. I know that's why I got divorced (and remarried an amazing man, at that!)

But, stuff like this: According to Suzanne Hinn, the divorce is needed because some of the couple’s differences could not have been solved in any other way. It is not entirely clear what the issues were that caused the problems. (eCanadaNow » Evangelist Benny Hinn Heading For Divorce)

leads me to believe she may have just been sick of him for any number of reasons (perhaps because he's nuts, or perhaps because he's under investigation right now for potential financial fraud [which, if it's true, would bring a great deal of stress to ANY marriage], or any other number of reasons).

Regardless though, their divorce is none of my business. It's a private matter, and it's a shame it will become a public spectacle.

Upvote 0

Keres

Jan 25, 2010
✟8,169.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But, stuff like this: According to Suzanne Hinn, the divorce is needed because some of the couple’s differences could not have been solved in any other way. It is not entirely clear what the issues were that caused the problems. (eCanadaNow » Evangelist Benny Hinn Heading For Divorce)

leads me to believe she may have just been sick of him for any number of reasons (perhaps because he's nuts, or perhaps because he's under investigation right now for potential financial fraud [which, if it's true, would bring a great deal of stress to ANY marriage], or any other number of reasons).

It does highlight the issue though.

People grow and change as they get older, and the person you may be at twenty could well be very different than the person you are at 40.

Why would anyone want to force two people to stay together when each has become someone the other dislikes? Some differences can be worked out. Some can't. If I were to become a scientologist and start jumping on couches, why would my husband be obligated to put up with that?

A friend of mine got divorced a couple years ago. His wife was drinking so much that she was regularly passing out in her own feces, and she got to the point that she was stealing to support her habit. She refused to admit she even had a problem, so how was he supposed to 'work things out'? Should he have stayed with her in the interests of 'stability' and not offending someone's antiquated notions of marriage roles?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Certainly a possibility.. I know that's why I got divorced (and remarried an amazing man, at that!)

Regardless though, their divorce is none of my business. It's a private matter, and it's a shame it will become a public spectacle.

"Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery. - Luke 16:18

divorce is immoral and re-marriage is adultery as Christ states

The problem is people are not willing to work at their marriages. No-fault divorce has given both women and men unrealistic expectations and a horrible mind-set. The men have lost their role and responsibility and the women have become haughty and rebellious. So of course allot of marriages today in the western world are gonna be miserable, look at the propaganda from secular society that has influenced them and their horrible attitudes! That is why I posted this OP. To break down this horrid proproganda that is hurting the mindset of many future and already married people.

We need a 360 turn around cultural change. We need to instill the proper mindset in both men and women about marriage and their roles that God gave them. If women followed the prescription in the bible about humility and meekness abuse and divorce would plummet..

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Calling for divorce after you have been stuck with someone for all those years, is very unfortunate.
Depending on whom you have been stuck with it can be a great decision.
It is really sad especially since the background reason for the divorce is not known.
I strongly suspect that the people involved do know the background reasons.
That you and I don´t know the reasons isn´t sad because it´s none of our business, in the first place.
The most common reasons women file for divorce is infidelity, I know not of any other reason. Could that be the reason she filed for divorce too?
Sure it could, just like it could be one of countless other reasons. I have no inclination to make speculations and assumptions in private matters of other persons, though.

Upvote 0

Keres

Jan 25, 2010
✟8,169.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The men have lost their role and responsibility and the women have become haughty and rebellious.

Translation:

Women got tired of being treated like crap. How dare they not want to subjugate themselves and call their husbands 'my lord' and realized that marriage is a form of slavery?

A friend of mine got divorced a couple years ago. His wife was drinking so much that she was regularly passing out in her own feces, and she got to the point that she was stealing to support her habit. She refused to admit she even had a problem, so how was he supposed to 'work things out'? Should he have stayed with her in the interests of 'stability' and not offending someone's antiquated notions of marriage roles?

Please, explain how someone can 'work at that'?

Wait, I know! He was supposed to beat her into submission, lock her in her room, or commit her to a mental institution like was done in the 50s, right?

Tell me, Creed, if a woman was willing to marry you and breed with you, but later left the church and refused to return and insisted on taking your kids to her coven meetings, how would you 'work at that marriage?'

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Translation:

Women got tired of being treated like crap. How dare they not want to subjugate themselves and call their husbands 'my lord' and realized that marriage is a form of slavery?

Please, explain how someone can 'work at that'?

Wait, I know! He was supposed to beat her into submission, lock her in her room, or commit her to a mental institution like was done in the 50s, right?

Tell me, Creed, if a woman was willing to marry you and breed with you, but later left the church and refused to return and insisted on taking your kids to her coven meetings, how would you 'work at that marriage?'

Sadly, the old misunderstanding of what it means to "submit" continues to pervade in the church:

Remove Members of the Leadership Team Who Commit or Tolerate Abuse
It should be evident that members of the leadership team who are themselves abusers must be removed. It should be evident, but sadly, some pastors just don't get it. In her 2007 book What Women Wish Pastors Knew, Christian author Denise George, sites the findings from a survey of 6000 pastors who were asked their attitudes toward domestic violence. The findings are shocking:

Asked how they would counsel a woman who came to them seeking help for abuse in her marriage:
26 percent would tell her it's her job to "submit" to her husband.
25 percent would actually tell her that it was her fault she was beaten because she didn't submit.
50 percent said they would tell her that submitting to the violence was better than getting a divorce.
Shocking, isn't it? Who is an abused Christian woman to turn to if her own pastor believes such sinful behavior is justifiable?

Source: Domestic Abuse Help in the Church

According to this survey, about 1/2 of pastors would counsel an abused woman that it is better to tolerate abuse than to get a divorce. I don't know if this is CiC's position, but it is data like this that make it hard to stomach the "stay married at all costs" position that many Christians take.

Upvote 0