Cheshire
✟27,096.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there, I've not been to church in six months or more, and wondering if it would be beneficial to my faith and relationship with God if i went to a church.

Would anyone here care to share their experience of going to church and how it benefits their faith and relationship with God?

Many thanks Lenno

Nov 24, 2011
✟45,437.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I haven't been to a live service in a long time for various reasons which I won't expand on here. In my opinion, if it's convenient, a live church sermon is invaluable.

The smells, the sounds the images and sights, the other worshippers being present, the history of the church itself etc. all contribute to a positive experience. You realize that people have attended church for centuries and you are immersed in God's place of worship searching for the same salvation billions of others have across history.

There is something proper and formal about attending church. It may be nostalgic or otherwise, but every time I attend I feel a unique closeness to God which I don't feel elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, I've not been to church in six months or more, and wondering if it would be beneficial to my faith and relationship with God if i went to a church.

Would anyone here care to share their experience of going to church and how it benefits their faith and relationship with God?

Many thanks Lenno
I believe one must be fully equipped in the knowledge of their faith before even choosing the right congregation. We know there are no perfect congregations and with each group there are unique dynamics involved. Like mindedness is key to a long term relationship. Congregations are meant to be a support system for that particular local body of like minded Christians. It should also offer accountability, corporate worship and well grounded bible studies. A congregation is supposed to be your spiritual family to edify and guide one another. So even though I have not been part of a congregation since the 80's , I believe it would be quite beneficial if it meets biblically sound criteria . Blessings.

Reactions: WindowsXP_98
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Many thanks Lenno
As a non religious person, I do feel like Im missing some important (but not essential) aspect of human life without communal spiritually minded gathering.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We make excuses as to why we won't go but to God there is none. Is He lord of our life or not? If He is the is it His will or our will be done? See He blessed you with something that others need and others have things you need. We need each other. Fact we do not grow as much as we would by not going to Church. For with God its always about others never self. This is about people that can go.. in the end its our free Choice and He will say nothing unless we ask Him

Reactions: Hvizsgyak
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe one must be fully equipped in the knowledge of their faith before even choosing the right congregation. We know there are no perfect congregations and with each group there are unique dynamics involved. Like mindedness is key to a long term relationship. Congregations are meant to be a support system for that particular local body of like minded Christians. It should also offer accountability, corporate worship and well grounded bible studies. A congregation is supposed to be your spiritual family to edify and guide one another. So even though I have not been part of a congregation since the 80's , I believe it would be quite beneficial if it meets biblically sound criteria . Blessings.

That's placing too much stress on an institution that can't bear it. People in churches are human. In addition, modern people need to grow into moral and spiritual autonomy, developing their own intuition and psyche and not relying upon external authorities who are just as fallible as they are.

I view the people at church as spiritual friends. There are benefits to participating in rituals and socializing with people in a loving environment, psychologically and spiritually. If the church doesn't have love as a priority, go elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's placing too much stress on an institution that can't bear it. People in churches are human. In addition, modern people need to grow into moral and spiritual autonomy.

I view the people at church as spiritual friends. There are benefits to participating in rituals and socializing with people in a loving environment. If the church doesn't have love as a priority, go elsewhere.
It is not supposed to be an institution. It is a local family of believers who are in the Body of Christ.
Blessings

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It is not supposed to be an institution. It is a local family of believers who are in the Body of Christ.
Blessings

Of course a church is an institution. But lots of things are also institutions, including families.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
As a non religious person, I do feel like Im missing some important (but not essential) aspect of human life without communal spiritually minded gathering.

I think it is more or less essential to living a fulfilling life, at least for the vast majority of human beings. It's harder to do in modern society, mostly because modernism has gone hand in hand with alot of junk values

It's also created a certain cultural narrative that minimizes the importance of religion in cultural and political critique and reform (like the Black Civil Rights movement). And, I don't think its a coincidence that the decline of mainline Protestantism in the US, starting in the late 1960's, went hand in hand with the rise in narcissism and a move towards neo-liberal values. The generation that came of age in the 1960's was the first generation raised on television and the first real "youth culture".

Upvote 0

look4hope

Love.Fellowship.Joy
Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟382,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Attending to the church I found years ago(or it found me) has been a positive experience. Yes, there has been many moments when there’s one person who will be on your case for missing a day, days, a year. Which it happened to me.
But it outweighs the nice.

My church is small. No more than 150 members but the attendance is 30 max for most Sundays. Many can’t make it because of work, disabilities or they prefer to stick with the virtual service that it offers.
It feels so good being able to socialize face to face. Whether is with others that share your belief or not. As along as everyone share mutual respect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course a church is an institution. But lots of things are also institutions, including families.
They are not supposed to be 501c3 corporate institutions.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It feels so good being able to socialize face to face. Whether is with others that share your belief or not. As along as everyone share mutual respect.
We can do that at a community centre or the proverbial potluck. But yes, church as in the beginning was meant to be a social setting. Not one where like American pop music it must follow a formula, but where people are allowed to discuss scripture and doctrines and put the minister/priest./pastor/etc on the spot. From the synagogues in Jesus' time to the earliest churches this was the practice. Unfortunately the gentiles in their desire to rule over others turned it into institutions of unquestionable ritual. Turn on a tv and see how much interaction there is between congregation and leader, let alone in buildings all over the world. Even so called home studies have become authoritarian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Many thanks Lenno

If you are only looking for Christian answers, there is a Christian-only board for these kinds of questions. As such you will get a very diverse set of opinions here.

But, since I am a Christian, I will give you what I believe to be the Christian answer:

Yes, yes it would be beneficial. Christianity is not practiced alone, our relationship with God is not a privatized experience of God by ourselves apart from the rest of the Body of Christ. Christianity is practiced, believed, confessed, and lived within communion with others.

The chief benefit of regular attendance is that it is at our coming together that we receive the means of God's grace: Word and Sacrament. It is when we come together that God's word is preached, that Christ's Supper is celebrated, where our baptism is affirmed and re-affirmed. Here is where God meets us in His grace to create, work, and strengthen our faith. Where the word is preached and the Sacraments administered, there is Christ present even as He promised, "Where two or three are gathered in My name, I am there". To gather in Christ's name is to gather for the purpose of hearing, abiding, confessing, and receiving His word.

Consistently throughout Scripture we see that God's power and work isn't through a purely "personal relationship", but rather the common fellowship of all God's people with one another abiding in God. Here, in this fellowship, this communion of faith, God meets us. God meets us with one another, because even as God is for us in Christ, so are we for one another in Christ; Christ is the meeting place of God and man. Recall where it is written, there is one mediator between God and human beings, and that's Jesus (1 Timothy 2:5). Recall that Jesus Himself spoke of Himself as the Temple of God, and this language of being God's Temple is extended also to the Church, corporately, as well as we ourselves individually. Thus it is ourselves, together, in Christ, and Christ in us and with us, through this mystical communion as the Church, that is the Temple of God. And the means with which God uses to bring us together, to call us His own, to keep us in Christ are the simple gifts of Word and Sacrament; for here we hear the Good Shepherd's voice who says to us, "I will give you rest", here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world as He comes to us in the simple and ordinary elements of bread and wine in His Supper. Here we confess our faith, are strengthened with faith by God's grace, here God calls and unites us together, and we are the Body of Jesus Christ. For God has taken, from many, one new people, a new man in Christ. Which is why there is no longer "Jew nor Greek, male nor female, bondservant nor freeman, barbarian nor Scythian, circumcised nor uncircumcised" for there is only the one new creation in Christ.

It is good to read the Scriptures on our own, but that is never a substitute for church. It is good to remember that up until the invention of the printing press nobody had easy access to books of any kind. Books had to be hand-copied, and thus books could only be found in libraries and universities, even the incredibly wealthy would be extremely fortunate to own their own books. So how did the majority of Christians experience the Bible? At church. The translation of the Bible in the West into the common languages was not so much that each person could own their own copy of the Bible and try and interpret it for themselves, but that they could hear it in their own language at church, since the Bible existed (in the West) almost exclusively in Latin.

So we should consider private Bible ownership a luxury, because in the grand scope of history, it is. But the books of the Bible themselves were written not to us as individuals, but for us corporately, that we should corporately benefit from them. Through faithful preaching and teaching. The books of the Bible assembled together into a cohesive Canon of Scripture (the word "Bible" comes from the Latin biblia, meaning "books", plural rather than singular, as the Bible is not a book, but a collection of many books), this was done chiefly for the purpose of having the same books read when we came together to hear and read them, that is, "going to church". But the intent, from the time of Christ and the Apostles, and the practice for the last two thousand years, has always been that we are Christians together, we receive, hear, and abide in the Scriptures together, we are edified and strengthened, and nourished by God through His word together.

The Bible is not for you, or for me; but for us. Christian life, Christian practice, Christian discipleship: these are all things we inhabit together, with one another, as the Church together.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
They are not supposed to be 501c3 corporate institutions.
Be blessed.

That is a misconception. Religious institutions in the US don't have to register as 501c3 organizations with the IRS. They are tax-exempt by default, unless they are unduely serving a commercial, political, or for-profit interest. The US has religious freedom laws with a great deal of latitude compared to many countries, in that regard.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
If you are only looking for Christian answers, there is a Christian-only board for these kinds of questions. As such you will get a very diverse set of opinions here.

But, since I am a Christian, I will give you what I believe to be the Christian answer:

Yes, yes it would be beneficial. Christianity is not practiced alone, our relationship with God is not a privatized experience of God by ourselves apart from the rest of the Body of Christ. Christianity is practiced, believed, confessed, and lived within communion with others.

The chief benefit of regular attendance is that it is at our coming together that we receive the means of God's grace: Word and Sacrament. It is when we come together that God's word is preached, that Christ's Supper is celebrated, where our baptism is affirmed and re-affirmed. Here is where God meets us in His grace to create, work, and strengthen our faith. Where the word is preached and the Sacraments administered, there is Christ present even as He promised, "Where two or three are gathered in My name, I am there". To gather in Christ's name is to gather for the purpose of hearing, abiding, confessing, and receiving His word.

Consistently throughout Scripture we see that God's power and work isn't through a purely "personal relationship", but rather the common fellowship of all God's people with one another abiding in God. Here, in this fellowship, this communion of faith, God meets us. God meets us with one another, because even as God is for us in Christ, so are we for one another in Christ; Christ is the meeting place of God and man. Recall where it is written, there is one mediator between God and human beings, and that's Jesus (1 Timothy 2:5). Recall that Jesus Himself spoke of Himself as the Temple of God, and this language of being God's Temple is extended also to the Church, corporately, as well as we ourselves individually. Thus it is ourselves, together, in Christ, and Christ in us and with us, through this mystical communion as the Church, that is the Temple of God. And the means with which God uses to bring us together, to call us His own, to keep us in Christ are the simple gifts of Word and Sacrament; for here we hear the Good Shepherd's voice who says to us, "I will give you rest", here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world as He comes to us in the simple and ordinary elements of bread and wine in His Supper. Here we confess our faith, are strengthened with faith by God's grace, here God calls and unites us together, and we are the Body of Jesus Christ. For God has taken, from many, one new people, a new man in Christ. Which is why there is no longer "Jew nor Greek, male nor female, bondservant nor freeman, barbarian nor Scythian, circumcised nor uncircumcised" for there is only the one new creation in Christ.

It is good to read the Scriptures on our own, but that is never a substitute for church. It is good to remember that up until the invention of the printing press nobody had easy access to books of any kind. Books had to be hand-copied, and thus books could only be found in libraries and universities, even the incredibly wealthy would be extremely fortunate to own their own books. So how did the majority of Christians experience the Bible? At church. The translation of the Bible in the West into the common languages was not so much that each person could own their own copy of the Bible and try and interpret it for themselves, but that they could hear it in their own language at church, since the Bible existed (in the West) almost exclusively in Latin.

So we should consider private Bible ownership a luxury, because in the grand scope of history, it is. But the books of the Bible themselves were written not to us as individuals, but for us corporately, that we should corporately benefit from them. Through faithful preaching and teaching. The books of the Bible assembled together into a cohesive Canon of Scripture (the word "Bible" comes from the Latin biblia, meaning "books", plural rather than singular, as the Bible is not a book, but a collection of many books), this was done chiefly for the purpose of having the same books read when we came together to hear and read them, that is, "going to church". But the intent, from the time of Christ and the Apostles, and the practice for the last two thousand years, has always been that we are Christians together, we receive, hear, and abide in the Scriptures together, we are edified and strengthened, and nourished by God through His word together.

The Bible is not for you, or for me; but for us. Christian life, Christian practice, Christian discipleship: these are all things we inhabit together, with one another, as the Church together.

-CryptoLutheran

How is this different from the Catholic view that you have to go to church or it's a mortal sin? It's more or less the same, there's some implication that unless you go to church, it's bad for you.

I am technically a Lutheran, but I believe whether or not you go to church is ultimately a private decision. Sometimes, people really don't benefit from church and they don't benefit the institution, either. Some churches are not engaged in building healthy Christian community, and are busy circling the wagons around cultural issues, or what they are preaching is of no spiritual value.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
We can do that at a community centre or the proverbial potluck. But yes, church as in the beginning was meant to be a social setting. Not one where like American pop music it must follow a formula, but where people are allowed to discuss scripture and doctrines and put the minister/priest./pastor/etc on the spot.

If you mean confront and assail the consciences of the congregation, that goes against a spirit of love, which is not optional for a Christian. At churches I have gone to, there are ways to talk to the pastor privately or ask questions at the church council.

From the synagogues in Jesus' time to the earliest churches this was the practice. Unfortunately the gentiles in their desire to rule over others turned it into institutions of unquestionable ritual.

Judaism and Christianity have always had institutions of ritual.

Turn on a tv and see how much interaction there is between congregation and leader, let alone in buildings all over the world. Even so called home studies have become authoritarian.

So go hang out with the Quakers? Even there, there are "rituals", by which I mean expectations about the shape of worship. Most Quaker meetings, for the purposes of good order have the expectation that you will bring a word for them to hear in a spirit of love and edification, and that you don't monopolize the meeting or seek to disrupt the fellowship.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
How is this different from the Catholic view that you have to go to church or it's a mortal sin? It's more or less the same, there's some implication that unless you go to church, it's bad for you.

I am technically a Lutheran, but I believe whether or not you go to church is ultimately a private decision. Sometimes, people really don't benefit from church and they don't benefit the institution, either. Some churches are not engaged in building healthy Christian community, and are busy circling the wagons around cultural issues, or what they are preaching is of no spiritual value.

I mean, to be straightforwardly honest, I do think that prolonged absence from church is bad for us. I've outlined above what I consider to be theological reasons for why.

I don't see this as a matter of "morality"--asking whether the fish needs to be in water isn't a moral question; but a question of life and death, of health--a fish out of water is in trouble. The Christian, apart from the fellowship and the means of grace which God graciously provides for us, is like a fish out of water.

Saying "not going to church is sinful, and you should go" doesn't seem helpful, and it seems to miss the point in my opinion. That's where I would see what I'm saying as fairly distinct from the Roman Catholic position that missing Mass is a mortal sin.

I'm saying that prolonged absence is spiritually harmful for the same reason a fish out of water is harmful for the fish; spiritually speaking. I believe, very strongly, that the Christian life is a life that is lived on the receiving end of God's grace. Without grace I will wither and die. And grace is not merely an abstract idea, but is something concretely real in God's work, God's activity, God's gifts. God is God because God dispenses Himself, i.e. grace. And grace alone is how I can have spiritual life, apart from which I am very much dead.

To wit, "But God being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ--by grace you have been saved--and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in heaven places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages He might show the immeasurable riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that none may boast." (Ephesians 2:4-9)

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If you mean confront and assail the consciences of the congregation, that goes against a spirit of love, which is not optional for a Christian. At churches I have gone to, there are ways to talk to the pastor privately or ask questions at the church council.
You mean don't question the controlled narrative. Stop seeking God.

Judaism and Christianity have always had institutions of ritual.
In Jesus' day interpretation of scripture was questioned constantly

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You mean don't question the controlled narrative. Stop seeking God.

You seem to really chafe under authority, no matter how legitimate. Nobody has the right to go into a church and demand to be treated as a special ambassador of truth. That's not consistent with a spirit of love, where we should seek the greater good of everyone, not just ourselves.

If you do have a message from God, then you'll have the humility to wait in line like everybody else.

Upvote 0