bbbbbbb

King's College Chapel, Cambridge, England

images
images
images

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Another stunning Catholic church in Washington D.C. which I hope some day I will make it to, the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. It is a basilica.

national-shrine-immaculate-conception.jpg

basilica-of-the-national-shrine-of-the-immaculate-conception-649_4.jpg

3976549600_b919d691b0.jpg

basilica-of-the-national.jpg

basilica-of-the-national-shrine-of-the-immaculate-conception-yesim-gezginler.jpg

2311689067_75662de914_b.jpg

I love the National Basilica. I have a close friend who went to Catholic University for his Ph.D., which is where the basilica is located. Whenever I visited him we'd attend daily mass there if it was early enough or just go in and walk around.

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

John 1:9
Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ya'll mean the nice buildings in the pictures?

Not a single one has anything to do with the church of God which consists of people, not brick and stone or wood or anything like that.

So much for setting our affections on the things which are above and not on the things on earth.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

National Cathedral

659836502.jpg

cathe5.jpg

National-Cathedral-Interior.jpg

Z

Beautiful church. I always wanted to visit, but I'm permanently boycotting, as their recent decision to host a Muslim prayer service is disgraceful to say the least.

Not a single one has anything to do with the church of God which consists of people, not brick and stone or wood or anything like that.

So much for setting our affections on the things which are above and not on the things on earth.

Having grown up in the D.C. area, I really can't stand the National Cathedral. It's imitation of European Gothic seems really fake and there's a lot more nationalistic imagery than Christian imagery. And one of the gargoyles is Darth Vader.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Churches are the places where the community gathers in order to bridge the gap between heaven and earth. They facilitate looking above. That's why the trend in church architecture has been to either create extremely tall buildings that focus our gaze upwards (mostly western) or ever-larger domes that signify God's rule over the entire cosmos (mostly eastern). Church architecture is theology in stone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

:thumbsup:

They are architecturally pleasing to the eye... but taken in context I find them gross.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Churches are the places where the community gathers in order to bridge the gap between heaven and earth. They facilitate looking above. That's why the trend in church architecture has been to either create extremely tall buildings

Kinda like this...
Therefore its name was called Babel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

bbbbbbb

Having grown up in the D.C. area, I really can't stand the National Cathedral. It's imitation of European Gothic seems really fake and there's a lot more nationalistic imagery than Christian imagery. And one of the gargoyles is Darth Vader.

Not to mention the Outer Space Window. What started as an effort to authentically reproduce a Gothic cathedral entirely in stone without any structural steel (unlike its rival, the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City) was usurped in the late twentieth century with pathetic efforts such as these to make it "relevant" to a new generation.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain by Antoni Gaudi. It is architecturally peculiar, but is the greatest work by this architect with an extremely well-defined iconography. Unfortunate, Gaudi met an untimely death and work was suspended for much of the twentieth century. It has been resumed, based upon rather scanty material left by Gaudi.

23484_barcelona_eine_luftaufnahme_der_sagrada_familia_in_barcelona.jpg

More images and links here - https://www.google.com/search?q=sag...QCQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=767#imgdii=_

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I may be mistaken but I think this is the oldest building in the world that is a functioning church; it's been a church since around 609 AD and was build around 125 AD. It is called Santa Maria ad Martyres (Saint Mary and the Martyrs) church.

The architecture is Roman, naturally enough, and was originally intended for the worship of the Roman gods of antiquity. In 609 AD it was given to pope Boniface IV by the Byzantine emperor Phocas. It was converted to a Christian church by Boniface. It is quite a popular tourist attraction nowadays which is, in some ways, a pity because it is very likely almost impossible for a local parish to meet and worship there. Still, it is visually splendid.

pantheon23.jpg

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I may be mistaken but I think this is the oldest building in the world that is a functioning church; it's been a church since around 609 AD and was build around 125 AD. It is called Santa Maria ad Martyres (Saint Mary and the Martyrs) church.

The architecture is Roman, naturally enough, and was originally intended for the worship of the Roman gods of antiquity. In 609 AD it was given to pope Boniface IV by the Byzantine emperor Phocas. It was converted to a Christian church by Boniface. It is quite a popular tourist attraction nowadays which is, in some ways, a pity because it is very likely almost impossible for a local parish to meet and worship there. Still, it is visually splendid.

pantheon23.jpg

At first I thought, "Isn't that just a bunch of ruins?" Then I realized I was thinking of the Parthenon.

edit: the Church was formally known as the Pantheon before dedicated. ;)

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

pantheon23.jpg

San Clemente in Rome is probably older. It was a Mithraeum before it became a church.

Upvote 0