Status
Not open for further replies.

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
so the Eastern Orthodox rebelled against Constantine and had nothing to do with the Inquisitions or with burning Protestants at the stake?

They didn't rebel against Constantine. The Roman Empire continued to exist in the east and the Christians there eventually became the Eastern Orthodox Church.

Constantine lived during the fourth century.
The western half of the empire fell in the fifth century. It became basically the nation states we have in western Europe today.
The eastern half of the empire's Christian ceased being in communion with the west in the eleventh century.
The eastern half of the Empire fell in the 16th Century.

The Inquisition is one of the most wrongly understand historical events.
Protestants were burned at the stake by kings if they took up arms and tried to overthrow the king. This happened among protestant and Catholic kings.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Your questions seem to confuse the difference between a person who is a private citizen and a person who is an elected official. To the point of how a publically elected official should respond, I refer to the answer by JFK, himself, when the issue was placed before him on one of those many occasions, and we actually have his response on tape. It is in a video posted earlier by me. He defaulted to the US Constitution, instead of the Roman Catholic Institution. It is for this very reason, that you have brought up, that Roman Catholics were banned from holding public office for a long time in this country.

Catholics are bound and have always been bound to act on the faith as it has always been taught. Catholics are not bound to do whatever the Pope says. This is a common error.

As a private citizen, your question would be between you and your God. In this case, however, it may actually exist between you and your pope. Interesting you would ask a Baptist how a Roman Catholic should respond in such a case. Ask your pope in Rome. If you have sworn allegiance to him, let him tell you. If you are so against the Roman Catholic position on this matter, it may be better for you to realize that it qualifies you as actually being Protestant.

Martin Luther protested against the Roman Catholic Institution on one main issue, and posted 95 things about that. It had to do with error, the use of it by the Roman Catholic Institution to collect money from bereaved subjects, and how that money given to the Roman Catholic Institution would shorten the time their deceased loved ones spent in Purgatory. If this is something about which you side with Luther, you may be a Protestant at heart. If you side against Rome on the issue of Same Sex Marriage, you may be a Protestant. If you side against Rome on the issue of Abortion on Demand, you may be a Protestant.

Catholics make no allegiance to the Pope in Rome, especially on political matters.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Is the following NOT in the "Catholic Encyclopedia," and in the Syllabus, as asserted by Pope Pius IX ???[/FONT]

The Catholic Encyclopedia clearly so declares: “In case of direct contradiction, making it impossible for both jurisdictions to be exercised, the jurisdiction of the Church prevails and that of the State is excluded.” And Pope Pius IX in the Syllabus asserted: “To say in the case of conflicting laws enacted by the Two Powers, the civil law prevails, is error.”
This was widely known over 100 years ago. Some people on either side may take the following to equate to that, and, absent any specific language4 showing otherwise, I'll say this is very close to what has been the concern for centuries.

I had someone give me a little book of the Roman Catholic Catechism that he was given as a child. Later, other people in a discussion similar to this tried to say that is not what the Roman Catholic Church taught. It is as if I was being told that, what this man was given to learn by that Institution, was NOT really what I was supposed to know their teaching was.

Catholics do no make any allegiance to the Pope. I don't know where people get that from. Catholics are bound by faith to believe in the teachings of the Church as they have been taught for centuries.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
They didn't rebel against Constantine. The Roman Empire continued to exist in the east and the Christians there eventually became the Eastern Orthodox Church.

Constantine lived during the fourth century.
The western half of the empire fell in the fifth century. It became basically the nation states we have in western Europe today.
The eastern half of the empire's Christian ceased being in communion with the west in the eleventh century.
The eastern half of the Empire fell in the 16th Century.

The Inquisition is one of the most wrongly understand historical events.
Protestants were burned at the stake by kings if they took up arms and tried to overthrow the king. This happened among protestant and Catholic kings.

So who was the first Pope after Constantine, and how did the Pope replace Jesus Christ as the head of the church? Also, when the Roman Pope and the Eastern Orthodox Pope excommunicated each other, which one actually was the replacement of Jesus Christ? Why didn't they just have a duel and fight to the death so people would not have to wonder which one was supposed to be the replacement for Jesus Christ?

Upvote 0

twob4me

Shark bait hoo ha ha
Supporter
Jun 28, 2003
Here :)
✟215,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Staff came to a consensus to keep this thread closed for Flaming and Goading and Congregational Forum Restrictions rule violations.

Flaming and Goading
●
Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
● Do not attack another member's character or actions in any way, address only the content of their post and not the member personally.
● NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, or smileys clearly meant to goad.
● Stating or implying that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian is not allowed.
● Only the person to whom the post is addressed may report the other. Anyone may report generalized flames or goads which are addressed to a group of members.
● Moderators have the right to report egregious violations of flaming or goading.
● Clear violations of the flaming rule will result in bans.

Congregational Forum Restrictions

Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum.

~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT OFF!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.