Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
BTW, for my baptism, my mom made me a sleeveless white dress out of a heavy cotton pique. For the service, I wore a white blouse under it like a jumper, and a slip, so you couldn't see through it when it was wet.

It is traditional to wear white, whether it is a robe or street clothes, but everyone who posted above is quite right that especially for women you have to think about it still being modest after it is wet.

Upvote 0

P_G

Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady
Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
KristiXP said:
I just wore a T-shirt and khaki shorts.

See:
I really like the river mural behind you.

See if you had waited and let me baptize you
you would have gotten a real river! And maybe a fish in
your pocket when you came up.

I am enjoying this thread imensly. Though I am in an anabaptist congregation the most profoundly lovely baptism service I was ever at was at a the Greater New Hope Baptist church in Washington DC where I had the opportunity to preach one time (allbeit briefly)

They had a seperate area where the baptisimal font was downstairs in the front of the building and they too had a nice mural behind it. Made for nice pictures too for remembering such an important day.

I really feel that while your baptisim is a profoundly personal moment between you and Jesus it is also a community covenant too. Much the same as I feel about marriage.

See if I am there when you are baptized I take on a responsibility in covenant with you and with G-d. I watched you die in obedience and arise a new creature. I share a responisiblity with you then to assist you on your walk. If I as your brother watch you stumble a little or start to go astray it is more real and I feel more a pull to help you back on the path of righteousness.

Sometimes I think we forget we are family you know? Sometimes I think that we forget we have a shared salvation and a shared baptism. We need to remember that more and love one another more like we were told to.

Thanks for sharing your baptism day with us Kristi and also Liz This weekend I will see do I have a picture of mine or of our family baptism.

Bless you all

Pastor George :wave:

Upvote 0

Frankie

Forgiven
May 4, 2004
Earth
✟2,253.00
Faith
Christian
tateziwin said:
Hi y'all!

Getting dunked shortly and want to know what is the appropriate attire for such an occasion. I know that sometimes they give you a white gown to wear over your clothes but do you wear , like, bathers or jeans & t-shirt or what?
what ever you wear, just make sure it is clothing!:D

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
tateziwin said:
Hi y'all!

Getting dunked shortly and want to know what is the appropriate attire for such an occasion. I know that sometimes they give you a white gown to wear over your clothes but do you wear , like, bathers or jeans & t-shirt or what?
I wore shorts and a tee shirt. Couldn't get my snorkel and fins into the robe :cool:

Upvote 0

tateziwin

Mar 27, 2004
South Australia
✟15,399.00
Faith
Baptist
>>>I wore shorts and a tee shirt. Couldn't get my snorkel and fins into the robe :cool:<<<

:D Now, that's funny!! I guess the aqualung is out too?

oh, seriously though, are you allowed to hold your nose before going under? I can just see me coming up out of the water all coughing and spluttering. :)

Upvote 0

CometCatcher

May 30, 2004
Mackay Australia
✟113.00
Faith
Christian
Some pastors hold your nose for you or put a hanky over it. Some get you to hold it. Otherwise breathe out of your nose while under water. Helps stop the water getting in. But your not under for long.

I see your in Australia! Me too! If you have the option wear something warm so you don't shiver (it's winter here for our overseas readers).

Is this in a church or a stream?

Get your friends to take some pictures. But if it's in church better ask beforehand, especially for flash pics. Some pastors don't mind them, some do.

When is the big day?

Upvote 0
I've usually seen blue robes in the US, and every pastor I've ever had has worn waders under the robe. I was baptized in white and wore a swimsuit underneath.

The Baptist churches in the Ukraine use white robes made of a thick material that stays opaque when it gets wet. Over there, they prefer river baptisms so the community can witness it rather than just the church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
tateziwin said:
>>>I wore shorts and a tee shirt. Couldn't get my snorkel and fins into the robe :cool:<<<

:D Now, that's funny!! I guess the aqualung is out too?

oh, seriously though, are you allowed to hold your nose before going under? I can just see me coming up out of the water all coughing and spluttering. :)
You hold your nose, and the pastor holds the back of your kneck with one hand and your hand over your nose with the other. At least that is how they did it at our church.

Great baptism song: Randy Travis, "Pray for the fish"

Upvote 0

tateziwin

Mar 27, 2004
South Australia
✟15,399.00
Faith
Baptist
Hi CometCatcher,

I understand the service will take place in a teeny weeny old stone church that has a baptismal pool that will be hired for the event so the whole congregation gets a day trip outing!
I am a little bit nervous as I hate to be the centre of attention at any time!

Fortunately I was told that the water can be heated!
You are right, it is freezing over here at the moment ( for non-Aussies -freezing = by Aussie standards, does not necessarily mean ice or snow).

Hopefully it will take place within the next month, my job kinda makes things difficult ( I work 2 jobs, one day shift, one night shift + I go to school), my Pastor keeps mentioning it during his sermons so I think he is keen to get it done soon too.

Upvote 0

CometCatcher

May 30, 2004
Mackay Australia
✟113.00
Faith
Christian
Two jobs + school... that must keep you busy.

I know what you mean. I don't like crowds either. Especially if they are focused on me!

I was lucky to be in a whole group of people being baptised so they forgot about me pretty quick.

Are there others being baptised the same day?

Anyway have a great day. You will look back at the day with pleasant memories I'm sure.

Upvote 0

wherdaluv

Mar 10, 2004
Ohio
✟7,649.00
Faith
Baptist
When I was baptized i just wore my tighty-whities under my white robe. The ladies wore their bras and panties. Though the robes were white, they were not see-thru.
You might want to check with your pastor because I have been to baptisms where the were clear as glass when wet. Your robe might be the same way. As far as the nose is conserned, I held it when i went under and at the same time i was holding on to the pastor's wrist.
Good luck with your baptism! You will look back on that day many years from now. God Bless you for your obedience to His command and commitment to Him

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.