Not open for further replies.

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
tateziwin said:
Hi y'all!

Getting dunked shortly and want to know what is the appropriate attire for such an occasion. I know that sometimes they give you a white gown to wear over your clothes but do you wear , like, bathers or jeans & t-shirt or what?

I just wore shorts and a t-shirt. No gown.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JeffreyLloyd said:
Do not listen to Jeffrey....... He's trying to lead you astray. :p :D

We had a young lady baptised in our church about a year ago wear a white shirt...... When she came up you had a who congregation of men looking the other way....... :)

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟53,491.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Knight said:
Do not listen to Jeffrey....... He's trying to lead you astray. :p :D

We had a young lady baptised in our church about a year ago wear a white shirt...... When she came up you had a who congregation of men looking the other way....... :)

I've seen a few of those moments back in my Baptist days :) I meant with an under shirt on too :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

P_G

Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady
Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
White hehehehehehhee

Oh my

I have been having a serrious conviction about this lately. I come out of a background that is sort of utilitarian about baptisms. So no one really cared what you wore so long as you got wet. And I suppose that has some merit.

I have embarked on getting some gowns made up. I think that looks very nice. I would suggest being modest undernieth that gown too. Shorts and a shirt and a dark color at that. AND NO PRINTING!

If your church does not use gowns why not buy one? They are not too expensive about $40 and when you are done donate it to your church and if they don't want it donate it to mine! (We are poor and not afraid to ask!)

Now I like to do a river baptising. It can be kind of interesting when the river is real high and running fast. Trust me you WILL learn how to pray then! (And not for the fish)

I am in the process of writing a new baptism service and think this would be a good time to talk about your baptism service and what you liked and what you didn't like about it. Please share in detail. You will be helping brothers and sisters you don't know to have a more wonderful experience.

One thing we will be doing is using the song "I went down to the river to pray" as a hymnn because I really like it.

Blessings
Pastor George :wave:

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟53,491.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
christianmom said:
.... Shoot, our pastor wears waders under his gown.

My old pastor wore those too!!! He always has a shirt and tie on withit however! He looked funny when you saw him all at once, but you'd never know it looking at the font.

Here he is at my baptism when I was 8 :)

jeff_before_baptism.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Nehemiah, for a Mennonite baptism service it is absolutely essential that in some way it is signified that the baptism is the act of the whole church, and not just of the pastor and the person being baptized. I have seen this done many ways, but haven't been in a Mennonite church now for a long time. Was at a Mennonite baptism last fall, though. I don't remember the whole service, but do remember that this did still come across in some way.

How are you thinking of dealing with this aspect? Does your church have a custom for this already? If you are thinking of changing that custom in some way, have you considered how this will affect the other members of your congregation?

What I mean is that this is similar to the argument that wedding ceremonies should not be innovative. They should look familiar so the married people in the congregation will recall their own weddings as part of their worship. I think the same would be a valid argument WRT baptism.

Upvote 0

P_G

Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady
Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Crazy Liz said:
How are you thinking of dealing with this aspect? Does your church have a custom for this already? If you are thinking of changing that custom in some way, have you considered how this will affect the other members of your congregation?
Liz

One thing to bear in mind is I am not ordained under the Mennonites. I belong to a mennonite congregation. Thus I am a Mennonite. I am ordained under a messianic ministry. Confused yet?

Anyway I do agree with you that the congregation is part of the ceremony and that it should be open. I really hate these private baptisms. Because it is like you say a point of rememberence for them too.

So all have been invited and all will sing etc. And all will witness. Do you have suggestions too?

Upvote 0

sunshinejennii

Pierced, Purple, Hippy, Happy, Laughing Lass
Mar 20, 2004
Uni=Birmingham, England and Home=Leicester (Oadby)
✟5,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
our minister wears all white when he baptises - except he always wears blue y-fronts! urgh! we have white baptisimal gowns and people generally chose to wear these with whatever they like underneath generally its expected that its more than a bikini! we have blue towelling material cape things that are worn to keep them warm before their baptism and are put on staright after to keep them warm until they get into the vestry to change.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Nehemiah_Center said:
So all have been invited and all will sing etc. And all will witness. Do you have suggestions too?

I was looking to see if I could find an order for a Mennonite baptism service online. I found this short note:

[url said:
http://www.directionjournal.org/article/?385[/url]]Neufeld’s manual includes an order for baptism. The candidates are read the church rules.21 After they assent to them a single baptismal question is asked: “If you believe with your whole heart, that Jesus Christ is God’s Son, then answer.” Baptism in the name of the Trinity follows. The most significant liturgical aspect is the subsequent laying on of hands with the words of blessing taken from 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24.22 It preserves the ancient pattern of following baptism with the laying on of hands as a petition for the Holy Spirit. The service was customarily concluded by the presentation to the candidate of a Scripture verse chosen by the efficient to commemorate the day of covenant. {16}

The reference to laying on of hands with the blessing from 1 Thessalonians brought back memories, as this was done at my baptism, although it is not done as regularly now. I think older members would especially appreciate seeing you bring back this custom if it has fallen into disuse where you live.

Check the back sections of several different Mennonite hymnals. They should contain examples of appropriate charges to the candidates and charges to the congregation. A Mennonite baptism should contain some form of each. Finally, go speak to 2 or 3 Mennonite pastors over the age of 60. They will have a good idea of what things have stayed constant and what things have varied over time. Be sure to ask them whether there is anything they remember havig been done in the past that they wish we would do now.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.