✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
From the Didache, "Concerning Baptism" reads

Περὶ δὲ τοῦ βαπτίσματος, οὕτω βαπτίσατε· ταῦτα πάντα πρειπόντες, βαπτίσατε εἰς τὸ ὄνομα τοῦ πατρὸς καὶ τοῦ υἱοῦ καὶ τοῦ ἁγίου πνεύματος ἐν ὕδατι ζῶντι.

And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water.

So yes, Luke is just writing the short, short version of the baptismal statement.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,028.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This discussion isn't about the Trinity
Right. So why did you use the word in your OP? Rewrite your OP without the word and see what you will get if you are interested in sticking close to the Scripture. That's what I did in my post.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From the Didache, "Concerning Baptism" reads

Περὶ δὲ τοῦ βαπτίσματος, οὕτω βαπτίσατε· ταῦτα πάντα πρειπόντες, βαπτίσατε εἰς τὸ ὄνομα τοῦ πατρὸς καὶ τοῦ υἱοῦ καὶ τοῦ ἁγίου πνεύματος ἐν ὕδατι ζῶντι.

And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water.

So yes, Luke is just writing the short, short version of the baptismal statement.
That's interesting to know, but as this document is not authoritative as scripture, what it says is really a non factor

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right. So why did you use the word in your OP? Rewrite your OP without the word and see what you will get if you are interested in sticking close to the Scripture. That's what I did in my post.
Respectfully, what are you talking about? I've read my OP now a few times and I don't see a single reference to the word, "Trinity" in it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe, but what they did do is baptize only in the name of Jesus
See the very first reply to this thread. All Christian Churches, with the exception of some oneness Pentecostals, baptize in the name of the Trinity.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think this may be a very good way to think about it. Thank you for sharing!
I tend to think of this as similar to the Donatist controversy, i.e., that the sacraments given by priests who had lapsed during persecution and then came back were inefficacious. Augustine's general solution was that the efficaciousness of grace was not in the one who did the work but in the work of grace, of which the sacrament is a sign.

I think a similar approach can be extended to this particular issue. The formula is not what does the work. Two are mention, and both are sufficient. I like the Trinitarian formula, and it has a very long history, but the scriptures also indicate some have been baptized in the name of Jesus. Both are sufficient, and neither one are the means of grace, per se.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's interesting to know, but as this document is not authoritative as scripture, what it says is really a non factor
It was written during the Apostolic era and several church fathers considered it as canonical. So it shows the practice of the Apostolic era church.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
See the very first reply to this thread. All Christian Churches, with the exception of some oneness Pentecostals, baptize in the name of the Trinity.
So if everyone else is doing it, that makes it right?

But that doesn't answer my question. Did the Apostles get it wrong? The Apostles baptized only in the name of Jesus, not in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

They didn't even baptize in the name of the Son. It was in the name of Jesus.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It was written during the Apostolic era and several church fathers considered it as canonical. So it shows the practice of the Apostolic era church.

And since it does show up in Matthew, that means it's very early even if we assume the Matthew text is an interpolation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
So if everyone else is doing it, that makes it right?

But that doesn't answer my question. Did the Apostles get it wrong? The Apostles baptized only in the name of Jesus, not in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

They didn't even baptize in the name of the Son. It was in the name of Jesus.
No. They did not get it wrong. They baptized the way Jesus commanded them to. This issue has long been resolved.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose it depends on one's view of Sola Scriptura. I tend to hold to that.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,028.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Baptism in the name of?​

renderTimingPixel.png

1 Corinthians 10:

Moses was God’s representative under the Law. The Israelites were symbolically baptized under his leadership.
For Christians, we have a different leader, Matthew 28:

Note the singular noun name.
Acts 2:

Acts 10:

Acts 19:

Romans 6:

Galatians 3:

Any one of these formulas will do. It is not mouthing the formula that works. It has to do with the repentant heart of the believer. He needs to admit Jesus as Lord and Savior, regardless of the formula.
This is sort of a nuance of the topic as pertains to an efficacious baptism, but I'd like to hear your take of what the phrase "living waters" implies to you in scripture.

Upvote 0