Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I must admit, it is ridiculous to think that baptizing a child is child abuse. It's insane! I've never heard of a child drowning or suffering any emotional distress. The only problem I have with swimming is I'm embarrassed by the way I look in a bathing suit. If I were slimmer, then I would love to swim more often. When I first saw this thread I thought you were talking about southern baptists and how they are pro-spanking.

Upvote 0

PastorJim

Jul 12, 2006
✟3,601.00
Faith
Baptist
I have most reciently been challenged with a perplexing Social Issue.

Scenario:

A non-Custodial Father who is Athiest, has made the statement to his ex-wife that he objects to her allowing the upcoming Baptism of their child on the basis that "forcefully holding a child underwater, even if it is only for a few seconds constitutes Child Abuse".

It was my recomendation that under the current situation, that the Mother and Child postpone Baptism till the child is of legal age to decide for themselves.

Any thoughts on this anyone?
Was my guidance proper? Or should have the Baptism been performed regardless?

If the child meets all of the requirements for baptism, I would have baptised him.

I have to assume that the father has never performed a baptism. You don't "forcefully hold a child underwater". When you baptise somebody, they cross their arms over their chest and you place one hand behind their back and place one hand on their arm for balance so that they don't panic.

They are carefully, but quickly, lowered into the water. At no time are they ever forced into the water or held under the water. Assuming they have the leverage, since their knees are usually bent at an awkward angle, they're free to get up at any time.

But think of it this way. Say to yourself "...and raised to new life in Him" and count how long it takes you to say that. That's as long as they're under water, just long enough to say "and raised to new life in Him". That's the only part of the baptism that actually takes place under the water. What is that? A second? Two seconds?

And if somebody does panic, if they have some kind of phobia about being underwater, even though we believe in baptism by immersion, I don't know of a preacher who wouldn't accomodate them by pouring water over them and allowing them to keep their head above water.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have most reciently been challenged with a perplexing Social Issue.

Scenario:

A non-Custodial Father who is Athiest, has made the statement to his ex-wife that he objects to her allowing the upcoming Baptism of their child on the basis that "forcefully holding a child underwater, even if it is only for a few seconds constitutes Child Abuse".

It was my recomendation that under the current situation, that the Mother and Child postpone Baptism till the child is of legal age to decide for themselves.

Any thoughts on this anyone?
Was my guidance proper? Or should have the Baptism been performed regardless?
First , the claim is lame.

Second, how old is the child? Newborns naturally know how to swim and hold their breath from being in the womb. We just forget over time. There are actually baby swimming classes you can take your newborns to so that they do not forget how to swim. My parents took my sister to one as a child and they play Pass the Baby where they put the child under water and pass him to the next person, who takes him up again. They come up laughing and usually love it.

Upvote 0