Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟375,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Next time I'm in L.A. I'll buy you a beer and you can tell me about it.
I'm in Edmonton Alberta Canada. Just come to my house...we can have beer in the back with the chickens.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟260,862.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm in Edmonton Alberta Canada. Just come to my house...we can have beer in the back with the chickens.
My apologies. Confused you with someone else who lives in L.A. But I did look at your details before posting to check and saw CA. Ah yes...so not CAlifornia.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,218,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Things like this are why I'm a staunch opponent of "vague laws" and laws that rely on undefined terms.

Things like laws, ordinances, court orders, etc... there should be a certain level of specificity so that it's not merely inviting police and prosecutors to exercise their own personal biases under the guise of "just enforcing the law"

There's a reason why things like our traffic codes and building ordinances much more specific language than "Don't go too fast" and "Building must be sturdy", and why our laws pertaining to things like the varying levels of theft are much more descriptive and quantifiable than "stole a lot"/"stole a little"

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟437,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Things like this are why I'm a staunch opponent of "vague laws" and laws that rely on undefined terms.

Things like laws, ordinances, court orders, etc... there should be a certain level of specificity so that it's not merely inviting police and prosecutors to exercise their own personal biases under the guise of "just enforcing the law"

There's a reason why things like our traffic codes and building ordinances much more specific language than "Don't go too fast" and "Building must be sturdy", and why our laws pertaining to things like the varying levels of theft are much more descriptive and quantifiable than "stole a lot"/"stole a little"
I would bet the point is to be vague, to discourage anyone from doing anything that would indicate youre homosexual- like just holding hands - without having to explicitly say so in the law.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟260,862.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I would bet the point is to be vague, to discourage anyone from doing anything that would indicate youre homosexual- like just holding hands - without having to explicitly say so in the law.
Well, we all know what would happen if someone was charged with 'holding hands.' Every person who thought it was an outrageous attack on civil liberties would be out walking Tenesee streets...holding hands.

• Optimistic
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟363,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A City in Tennessee Banned Public Homosexuality—and We All Missed It

Code included:

To put it simply, two gay men holding hands in public would be as aggregious as masturnating in a public park.

I think I would have had my young daughter see two men hugging then heterosexual oral sex on a bus.

Frankly I'm not convinced I'd put these offences in the same category....but am I alone?
I'm not. Surprised i watch the minister service everyday on tbn. Allen Jackson. He's old school which is my beliefs. I'd recommend his services to everyone. No liberal in hi

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟441,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I would bet the point is to be vague, to discourage anyone from doing anything that would indicate youre homosexual- like just holding hands -

There's nothing about holding hands in the ordinances.

They're about showing sexually explicit materials to children....and banning children from sexually explicit or erotic performances.

We can say to a certainty no one is going to be arrested for holding hands.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟272,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When it’s straight people doing it sure pure white bread normality but if a same sex couple is doing it then it’s clearly them shoving their sexuality in peoples faces.
I was going to bring it up a video I saw years ago a candid camera group did. They had two couples in the same park, one straight couple making fully clothed. no one batted an eye, then a gay couple that would give small hug or kiss on the cheek and within minutes cops were called.

• Love
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟151,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What gay people do at parades when they work themselves up is unbelievable; they couldn't care less if there are children around. Be warned if your kids want to go see the "fun parade". Be creative and take them elsewhere. It will all be over soon enough.
I have a friend who will not being going on a rollercoaster-vacation this year (as backs can only take so many years of that before they balk at the lift-hill); I hated rollercoasters. So I never went with him.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟198,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can I ask what drew you to "numerous pride parades"?
Proximity, open availability, and a willingness to have a good time. The same thing that compels most people to do fun things.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟198,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I explained to my son when he was six it was easy. When did you explain homosexuality to a child? I’m curious to hear the problem you had with it?
I’m curious too. They had a classmate with two moms in K. They didn’t flinch, but they heard me talking with my husband about how some of the parents were all upset. They asked why, I said something along the lines of: “They have two moms and no dads. Some people feel like kids can’t be taken care of properly by just moms and need a Dad around as well, but everybody’s family looks different. For you, your family is one mom and one dad in one house. For your brothers, it’s a mom and dad in one house, a mom and a dad with a sister in another house. For your best friend, it’s a mom and a grandma with a mom and dad in another house. For your other friend, it’s just a dad. All of those families look different, but their kids are all taken care of the same. Some people want families to look all the same, I just want to make sure that all the kids are loved, have food, have clothes, and are safe.”

And that was it.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟198,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think a big difference is the guy is terrified that people might thing being attractive to guys mean one is also gay.

Quite why a straight guy would worry about that is beyond me.
My husband was hit on by a man while we were in Salem, MA. Somebody who was with us who is homophobic (both objectively and admittedly) got upset on my husbands behalf, but my husband squashed it. When the homophobic person asked why, my husband said “He was friendly, nice, and not being inappropriate about it, so though it’s not a party I’d ever go to, it’s a compliment to be asked.”

His belief was that the guy was being polite and gracious, not inappropriate, so what’s to be offended about? Turn him down with the same level of grace he was asked and then go about life.

It’s not different for me as a woman. If I’m asked out politely by a guy (or girl or them) who seems nice, there’s nothing to be offended by and you can say no as graciously as you were asked. To immediately fly off the handle is weird.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think a big difference is the guy is terrified that people might thing being attractive to guys mean one is also gay.

Quite why a straight guy would worry about that is beyond me.

I know it's a stereotype, but nearly all of the gay guys I know are either very stylish or shredded or both. I figure if I can draw the eye of one of them, I ought to take it as a compliment.

My husband was hit on by a man while we were in Salem, MA. Somebody who was with us who is homophobic (both objectively and admittedly) got upset on my husbands behalf, but my husband squashed it. When the homophobic person asked why, my husband said “He was friendly, nice, and not being inappropriate about it, so though it’s not a party I’d ever go to, it’s a compliment to be asked.”

You should've added Provincetown to your travel agenda. It's a hike from Salem, but it would've been worth it for the lolz.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟317,677.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I know it's a stereotype, but nearly all of the gay guys I know are either very stylish or shredded or both. I figure if I can draw the eye of one of them, I ought to take it as a compliment.
I know when I look at my 50yo dad bod I sometime wish I had a gayer belly and abs.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟198,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My husband does his hair with gel and has glasses that are very reminiscent of Weezer a la the Green Album. I think that, paired with the location and the fact that he is very extroverted and chatty to everybody which led to crossed wires. He was playing the part of “husband who’s here to support wife as it’s her thing not his” which led to a lot of long-term bench surfing. Somebody sat at the bench with him and my husband being as friendly and chatty as he is, they struck up a conversation and within 10 minutes they were best friends. I suspect there were cues he missed, which led to being asked out.

You should've added Provincetown to your travel agenda. It's a hike from Salem, but it would've been worth it for the lolz.
I am a huuuuuuuuuuuge Anthony Bourdain fan and want to go just on those grounds. My husband has been numerous times as a teen while traveling with his family, who he just realized were in a Christian cult, and he has *stories.*

Talk about crossed wires, try going there, not knowing the reputation, with your immediate family who are in the deep depths of a Christian cult.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My husband does his hair with gel and has glasses that are very reminiscent of Weezer a la the Green Album. I think that, paired with the location and the fact that he is very extroverted and chatty to everybody which led to crossed wires. He was playing the part of “husband who’s here to support wife as it’s her thing not his” which led to a lot of long-term bench surfing. Somebody sat at the bench with him and my husband being as friendly and chatty as he is, they struck up a conversation and within 10 minutes they were best friends. I suspect there were cues he missed, which led to being asked out.

oh lol.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,173,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A lot of straight people find any hint of homosexuality extremely offensive. If you've ever been approached by a gay man you would know how repugnant it is. The evil is just so oppressive and they are so lost in it they have no conception of how Satan is controlling them. They also are so clumsy socially, not realizing the person they are chasing i obviously straight, has avoided eye contact, has ignored them. Explain homosexuality to a young person who hasn't contemplated it yet and you'll see what I mean. It's a reaction of incredulous disgust. Much like what inappropriate behavior with animals or pedophilia would be like. But hey, in the eyes of God looking at a woman with lust in my eyes is tantamount to the worst sin imaginable and I can't imagine there's a single man walking on the planet that has not fallen prey to that.
I'm not homophobic, but I do find gay people a little repugnant(although I guess that might be homophobia in the literal sense). Especially when some hit on me, but I think that's possibly from my homophobic upbringing. Not sure why it matters. Maybe the homosexuals find us heterosexuals repugnant, lol? It's just a subjective feeling, and doesn't really say anything of real value.

I think I've gotten better about it with age. As a child I thought gayness was a disease one could catch, lol.

Upvote 0