Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Have any of your gay friends commented on your interest in whether they were molested? Seems an odd thing to know so much about in the limited set of people you describe. None of my friends, gay or straight have ever felt the need to tell me about any molestation they might have had. I'm curious about how you know so much about molestation in the people around you. Do you know the molestation rates in non- gays around you? That would be a good control group.

You're about to step in it, just FYI...

A study done at UCLA (I think) proposed....ridiculously...the high rates of self professed gay men amongst child sex offenders was due to being targeted by police. To prove this, they used disparity rates. For a couple of censuses now, information on same sex couples has been collected....this means the old "we don't know how many do X because they aren't allowed to openly live their lives" excuse is gone.

The data is in.

It ain't good.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's weird that you, with your current understanding of how sexuality develops, are speaking pejoratively about her.

And I'd say it's telling but perhaps the word is predictable that you chose the word "couldn't" (as if it speaks to a lack of capacity) when she simply refused to, instead differing to experts.

She determines laws that refer specifically to women. She should know what it means.

So while you sit high and mighty on your pedestal giving an imprecise definition of a woman,

Imprecise?

she chooses, instead, to leave it alone and not get dragged into a discussion with other people who don't know what they're talking about.

She failed.

And for the record, I don't mean her. I mean actual experts. Consider listening to them.

Who would be an expert?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You know that not all people react the same way to a traumatic incident. The facts are a great number of them have indeed suffered a traumatic incident. The truth is there hasn't been any real research on the subject. I actually don't think the LGBT community and their supporters would stand for it. And I also doubt very much anyone would receive any funding for such research.

The prevailing wisdom is gay people are just born that way. And we really have no way of knowing whether that is true or not. There is no gay gene and no real research on the subject. So, here we are. Left with anecdotal claims and information that only gay people give us to say they have always been gay. No way to say they weren't. No biological evidence of anything. Gay men are still men. Gay women are still women. They all just like the same sex. The only biological issue with them is that they can't procreate without the opposite sex being involved. That's biological enough for me to say it was not meant to be.

And the other issue is that homosexuals typically have higher rates of a LOT of problems relating to health and mental health. It's a relatively bad life they live physically and mentally. It's not normal, it's abnormal. But then we human beings definitely have a lot of abnormal going on as minority behaviors. Being gay isn't the worst of abnormal behaviors among the species.

There actually are gay genes and certain factors increase the likelihood of their activation...

1. A high number of male older siblings.

2. Being conceived by a father of advanced age.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It explicitly forbids "homosexuality," which it distinguishes from "acts of masturbation, sexual intercourse, or physical contact with a person's clothed or unclothed genitals, pubic area, buttocks or, if such person be a female, breast". Is there any inappropriate action or behavior associated with homosexuality (and only homosexuality, since - as written - the law would allow someone who is heterosexual to do it) that wouldn't be covered by that list?

I don't think we can just assume anything is in the list.

The list appears to be about inappropriate public behavior...not mere signs of affection.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is it? There are a ton of legal issues surrounding gender and gender identity these days

Such as?

After all, the question was posed to Ketanji Brown Jackson, a judge being considered for a judicial position. Why would they be asking her something that wasn't related to the law?

You don't think the word "woman" appears in the law anywhere?

Judges tend to make judgments based on the facts before them, and the specific law involved.

Luckily, the word woman means the same thing every time it appears in the law.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Discrimination laws, limitations imposed on health care for trans people, just off the top of my head.

You don't think the word "woman" appears in the law anywhere?
I'm sure it does. I highly doubt the definition is a legal point, however.

Luckily, the word woman means the same thing every time it appears in the law.
Possibly. Maybe not. It would depend on the specific case. So a judge would try to not make any presuppositions and make a ruling based on the facts of the case. Or, for an appellate judge (the SCOTUS is an appellate court, after all), the law involved.

-- A2SG, either way, the definition of the term isn't a legal issue an appellate judge probably needs to worry about....

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,680.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why would anyone choose to be a murderer? Why would anyone choose to be a thief?
Well just for these two, as the following arguement was "why choose behaviour thats harmful for you".
For murder, it's very often a crime of passion. It happens in a moment and one doesn't think of the long term consequences. Or due one reason or another, you REALLY want that person dead. Revenge? There are many logical reasons that could lead to murder.
For stealing, perhaps you need to steal to live due to lack of food and money. If you didn't steal, you'd be engaging in harmful behaviour towards yourself and others.

Compared to homosexuality, there isn't an upside to choose that in a mainly Christian culture. Or Muslim culture, depending on where you live, you might just get executed.

Upvote 0