Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well you're really in one of three camps I suppose--you accept evolution, you oppose it, or you take the wimpier way out and remain agnostic on the issue. You seem to be agnostic, but very sympathetic to evolutionists, so being agnostic, you get your feathers ruffled by "pro-evolution." Makes sense I suppose, but you're essentially saying the same thing the Creationists say---that one CAN believe in evolution and remain Orthodox. Nobody has said otherwise. But Rus is expressing in this thread his frustration not so much at the evolutionist stuff as he is the willy-nilly ease with which some in the debate casted off authority....I concur.

As far as not reading what people are saying, I can't comment on that personally as I have read the posts. I just don't agree with all of them....I assume you are talking about me though? :o

"But another frustration I think is that anytime a traditional Creationist mentions evolution or science in a critical context, he gets accused of "hating science."

But another frustration I think is that anytime a a traditional Orthodox Christian mentions that the dichotomy between science and faith is a false one, that the Church makes no dogmatic statements about the scientific theory of evolution, (but does make dogmatic statements about the philosophy and ideology behind evolution and rightfully rejects them), and that evolution can be utilize only if you are a researcher and are in a field of science requiring you to utilize it, but otherwise has no bearing on you as an Orthodox Christian, you are accused of being a "pro-evolutionist"

"Why must these discussions always get down to the most fundamental base level arguments---"I like it" or "I don't like it." As Orthodox Christians, we should all be well past this stuff. We're too smart for it!"

Maybe if some actually read and actually listen to what some of us are saying this wouldn't happen? Just throwing out a guess there.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm thinking about what it means to be an Orthodox Christian, and what you have to accept to be in communion with the Church.

<snip>

But there is one thing without which we cannot be one Church, of one heart, mind, and worldview. And that is accepting the authority of the Church - not just our priest or bishop, for on their own, any one man or group of men really could be wrong - but of the doctrines, teaching and dogmas (which all mean the same thing), discerning between local practice and universal acceptance over space and time, which have been developed, clarified, preserved and died for for two millennia. Accepting its authority to teach and correct us when we are wrong. For any of us may fall into error - including me, and so everything I say - or that anyone says (including GK Chesterton) must be measured against that Holy Tradition, and where our wisdom, and even those of our teachers - Schmemann, Men', Rose, Bloom, Ware, etc - fails that test, we must submit to the Church and admit that we may not understand something correctly.

<snip>

"What we want is not a Church that is right where we are right, but One that is right where we are wrong." to be right.

So I do not ask whether people agree with me in all my views (which I think true, or else they would not be my views), but I am asking who here believes that the consensus of the Church, what nearly all have agreed on throughout history as being true teaching of the Church, can be used to authoritatively correct members who dissent? Or is correcting anyone impermissible and unthinkable? May we authoritatively say (for example) that sodomy and abortion are sin, brokenness with God, or must we tolerate views which teach otherwise?

I realize some might say we only have to accept the pronouncements of the seven Councils, or worse, only the Symbol of Faith (the Creed). But that leaves for me a hundred inexplicable contradictions, from the Liturgy to monasticism, much, if not most of which, is outside the scope of the narrower goals of those proclamations.

And how many want to be in a TAW - or a Church - where there is little to no agreement on what Tradition is? The cacophany would become unbearable, sooner or later. May I always be found wrong when I disagree with the consensus of Holy Tradition!

For posters identifying as Orthodox only. Please, no non-member posts if you are not Orthodox!

(My post is in response to this, with no comment intended on the other thread.)

I'm not sure if I'm "allowed" to answer or not? I don't wish to upset your intent here. I'm not "officially" Orthodox, but I have been attending for some months now.

I find the issue of Church Authority to be a very important one to consider. I'll be honest with you - my first intent toward Orthodoxy was to come in and study the theology, experience the liturgy, take the parts I liked, and be on my way. Pretty much true to my variously-protestant roots. Church authority did not set well with me. I was very used to deciding for myself what was true.

The problem with deciding for myself is … I make mistakes. I've changed my mind. And changed it back, on some issues. I don't even want to discuss end-times theology on that point! While I'm not willing to blindly subject myself to anyone's authority and simply be told what to do and believe, I rather like the idea of some sense of stability and being able to look to someone for guidance sometimes.

Being who I was though (thoroughly Protestant), I couldn't just be told. I understood when I started to consider the Orthodox Church seriously, that it would necessarily mean putting myself under Church authority. And I had to take that seriously. As I said, I could not do it blindly, so what I did was to carefully examine just what I would be expected to affirm. In cases where I did not agree, I put a lot of effort into finding out WHY the Church believes as she does, and much prayer and study. Before I could agree (because I don't want to be going back and forth, nor do I wish to be unfaithful), I needed (and still need) to examine all the "required" beliefs and make sure I can agree with them.

Along the way I have found things I didn't initially agree with. And things I just plain don't like. (Some things I REALLY don't like - especially in regards to fasting!) Some of them were easy to reconcile. Some of them I had to put aside and come back to later. But along the way, I have been repeatedly impressed by the Church's wisdom, even when I initially was tempted to rebel against what she said.

There is a great comfort in that wisdom. And really, if I consider that this is a consensus brought down from the time of the Apostles, filtered through the ECFs and synods, explained by centuries of monastic writing, and offered with the pastoral wisdom of my parish priest - it begins to appear to be a matter of utmost pridefulness if I think I "know better".

The other point is that not everything is dogmatic. Not all beliefs are "required". Certain variations are "allowed". Enough that I was actually surprised. (In fact, I realized when replying to a post earlier today, that I have belonged to Baptist churches that were more stringent in adherence to beliefs and equally stringent in behaviors that were not as profitable as some of the disciplines of the Orthodox Church tend to be.)

At the opposite pole are other churches I have belonged to - non-denominational churches that reserved the highest praise for "new" ideas. Whatever was different from what had been taught before was the most valuable. I can tell you where that leads. It's exhausting, for one. It's confusing. And it can even become a competition of sorts that runs great risk of entering into greater error.

I think I've run in circles here. What I mean to say is that I think the authority of the Orthodox Church is one of her strongest points - like a great stone wall built around the Church, keeping truth within and strange teachings without. But it is not overly rigid, and allows for variation in points that are not essential. I find comfort in the authority, but it IS a central point, and if one is going to BE Orthodox, I think it is essential to submit to it. For the sake of ourselves, as well as the Church itself.

Oh, back to your original questions - I do think it's permissible for the Church to correct on those points she has determined to be essential. Of course, the major correction would be to those who profess untruths publicly in the name of the Church, but it comes right down to members who disagree on crucial points and have to do with their priests. But I will say that the utmost pastoral wisdom and accountability ought to be in place here as well.

As to what is Tradition? I'm still working that out. But certainly the councils. Scripture. The Liturgy. The ECFs when they reach consensus.

When they don't, I suppose that takes some wisdom to discern, and I am not there yet. But if nine people say "The sky is blue" and one argues "The sky is green" … it makes sense to accept the words of the nine.

Sorry, I know this is long. This is actually something close to my own heart, and I've given it a lot of thought. I'm not sure my post really reflects that, LOL. But I do think this is an important topic.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But right now, evolution is not the topic. Authority is. What constitutes the Holy Tradition that we must accept and defend and by what authority can we say so, and can we exclude universal teaching of the past as NOT being part of Holy Tradition, and on what basis? What exactly has the power to correct us when we are wrong, as some of us must be some of the time?

Question: &#8220;What constitutes the Holy Tradition that we must accept and defend?&#8221;

Answer: The term, Holy Tradition, refers exactly to the universal &#8220;Holy Common Affective Experience&#8221;. It is also sometimes referred to by other common conventional Christian phrases such as &#8220;being in the Holy Spirit&#8221;, &#8220;Spiritual Communion with God&#8221;, &#8220;Theosis (spiritual transformation)&#8221;, etcetera... Holy Tradition, therefore, is not purely tangible that one can physically pass onto another, like instruction, a Bible, moral teaching, conciliar decrees, rituals, icons, symbols, prayers, and all other such things as are passed on through the physical senses. Nor is it all of these things collectively. Holy Tradition is a Living experience that must be personally felt and lived by a person in order to be truly known, because the experience itself transcends/defies adequate cognitive definition (because it is affective/emotive and not cognitive in nature). The tangible things that are often pointed to and considered parts of the overall Holy Tradition are not Holy Tradition, but are specific, cultural &#8220;affect images&#8221; (symbols) that have been created by those from their perspectives within their own experiences of the Holy Common Affective Experience, which in our case were created and derived particularly within an Eastern Orthodox Christian cultural mould, and themselves point back, lead, or refer one into that Holy Common Affective Experience.

Question: By what authority can we say so?

Answer: The only authority by which we can say so is the authority of the Holy Common Affective Experience itself. Those who dwell within its domain know the &#8220;Truth&#8221;, and &#8220;Holiness&#8221; of that experience. Such people are compelled by the Love, Warmth, and Joy to share their blessed affective experience with the world, and use their distinct talents and knowledge in an effort to draw others into that same affective experience. As with all things human, however, the talents and knowledge used by such people always bare the stamp of the limitations of human knowledge, which is incomplete knowledge. In other words, such expressions of the affective experience are only as &#8220;literally&#8221; accurate as the cognitive ideas used to create them. So the expressions themselves are not necessarily infallible being that they were thought up by perfectly fallible beings.

This, to be sure, seems vague. It doesn&#8217;t give us anything concrete that we can point to and say &#8220;Aha! There&#8217;s the thing that is going to give me the exact cognitive instruction that will allow me to know what I should believe so that I&#8217;ll know how I must live and act in all situations!&#8221; It is only maturation into the &#8220;Holy Affective Experience&#8221; that can direct us in this way. No single structured belief system can ever provide this for us, not even that which we may believe we possess in Orthodoxy. Having been made free in Christ, do we even now search for the Law that will save us? Christ spoke of things and gave instructions from within His Holy Affective state of being, but these things in themselves were not that Holy Affective state, they merely pointed to it. Those who were themselves lingering near or even venturing into the land of that same Holy Affective state, &#8220;Recognized the Shepherd&#8217;s voice&#8221;, and followed Him and His teachings. They had the right &#8220;ears to hear&#8221;, so they heard the voice of Authority, and followed it because their own Holy Affective condition gave them the Authority to be correct in doing so. In sum, authority is elusive, at best, because &#8220;Holy Tradition&#8221; is Authority, yet Holy Tradition is the &#8220;Holy Affective Experience&#8221; itself and not the collection of all things pointing to it. These things can only ever be parts of an infinitely vast whole of existential experience that for us continues to expand into new dimensions of awareness.

Question: Can we exclude universal teaching of the past as NOT being part of Holy Tradition, and on what basis?

Answer: We should definitely not exclude universal teaching of the past as NOT being part of Holy Tradition. These teachings, in their time, served as the most carefully created and constructed expressions of the &#8220;Holy Tradition&#8221; (Holy Affective Experience) and for several reasons they still do. The basis upon which we should always keep ourselves aware of past teachings is that we can learn much about mankind (ourselves) as a result of them. Not only that, they will always serve as a necessary guide in helping us to understand how to best integrate our ever-expanding cognitive awareness of the universe while maintaining healthy moral consciousness.

Question: What exactly has the power to correct us when we are wrong, as some of us must be some of the time?

Answer: The Holy Affective state will correct us, personally, with regard to our need for spiritual healing and growth. Cognitive meta-processing of such healing and growth experiences will help us to better understand and define those processes. Cognitive learning to correct and enhance knowledge of nature (the &#8220;what&#8217;s&#8221; and &#8220;how&#8217;s&#8221; of the universe) is critically important as well. All these things have the power to correct us and help us grow, individually and collectively.

Question: Why must people ask such difficult questions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Question: “What constitutes the Holy Tradition that we must accept and defend?”

Answer: The term, Holy Tradition, refers exactly to the universal “Holy Common Affective Experience”. It is also sometimes referred to by other common conventional Christian phrases such as “being in the Holy Spirit”,

I'm sorry - I don't wish to argue, but I am wondering, did you get this information from any Orthodox site?

According to these definitions, "Holy Tradition" is much more closely aligned with my experiences in the Pentecostal Church, and to my personal experience with God, than anything connected with Orthodoxy.

This is not how I am being taught to view Tradition at all, and is rather confusing?

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I understand what TF is saying. It's fairly obvious and simple to me, though it's couched in academic language.

His "Holy Common Affective Experience", found nowhere in Tradition or anywhere except among his own small circle, basically ties all understanding of Tradition to personal (subjective) feeling and experience. IOW, If you feel it, it's Tradition. Anyone who disagrees with him can do so on his own principle - their own inner experience that they will claim as the common one while denying his. There is no room for prelest in this, or anyway of establishing it.

I'd be interested in seeing how others here translate what he's saying into simple English. I think it's important that it be not only me that shows understanding and rejection of this un-Orthodoxy.

Again, I cannot believe that a canonical bishop would bless this, or receive such a person into the Church until they repented of it and accepted Tradition that does not depend on our inner experiences.

TF, I wonder if you would have the honesty and certainty of position to tell us what your jurisdiction and who your bishop is?

I am in the Moscow Patriarchate, under Metropolitan Yuvenaly, FTR.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's fairly obvious and simple to me, though it's couched in academic language.

His "Holy Common Affective Experience", found nowhere in Tradition or anywhere except among his own small circle, basically ties all understanding of Tradition to personal (subjective) feeling and experience. IOW, If you feel it, it's Tradition. Anyone who disagrees with him can do so on his own principle - their own inner experience that they will claim as the common one while denying his. There is no room for prelest in this, or anyway of establishing it.

Oh, I can understand it. I just can't relate it to anything I've been taught of what Tradition includes?

As I said, it is much more akin to what I experienced in the Pentecostal circles, and as my personal experience with God.

Some of what I know from that experience is quite firm in my mind, and I believe it to be truth. However, I would not suggest it as equivalent to Tradition for the Church as a whole. (I'm not even likely to share most of it with anyone at all.)

Interesting that you mention prelest. I only recently learned what that was. And looking back, I can identify that as well. Being as I was pursuing this experiential relationship with no guidance or knowledge ... well, I have learned that is a dangerous thing.

And probably exactly why my priest said certain books (particularly certain monastic texts) should not be read without guidance. That was exactly what I did - read monastics and mystics before I ever went to any Church.

I learned a lot, and had a lot of "affective experience" ... but eventually some of it led me to something other than truth. I am extremely wary of that kind of thing now as far as my own experiences, and am aware of several kinds of dangers in it.

The thing that sets TF's post apart from my experience is the word "common" ... I have no experience with any "common experience" except for emotional ones shared in worship, but what happens to one person and their interpretation of the event is different from what happens to the next one. Sometimes drastically so. So I am having difficulty understanding what exactly is being described by the words Holy Common Affective Experience.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The thing that sets TF's post apart from my experience is the word "common" ... I have no experience with any "common experience" except for emotional ones shared in worship, but what happens to one person and their interpretation of the event is different from what happens to the next one. Sometimes drastically so. So I am having difficulty understanding what exactly is being described by the words Holy Common Affective Experience.

i have no difficulty understanding. It is uncommon in the Orthodox Church. It is named for eactly what it is not.

I'll readily grant that there is disagreement on doctrine and practice in the Church. I'd maintain that (valid diversity that does not cause conflict aside) it is a result of people not accepting one part or another of the common Tradition.

FTR, I don't mind your posting. My objection is to people who challenge Orthodox Tradition, and who, not being Orthodox (and no plans to be), have no right to tell us what it is. I don't want a GT cacophany in here. If it got squirrely, a thread clean-up might be called for, and non-TAW member posts (violating the rules on teaching in TAW) would probably get swept.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In post #4, my source was from: A Prayer Book for Eastern Orthodox Christians compiled by Rev. Peter H. Horton-Billard (chancellor Syrian Antiochian Archds of NY & NA) & Rev. Vasile Hategan (pastor of the Romanian Orthodox Church of St. Dumitru NYC, NY). Translated & edited by Rev. Michael G. H. Gelsinger. c. 1944. Imprimatur: Metr. Antony Bashir (Syrian Antiochian Orthodox Archds of NY & all NA). The prayer book included an edited version of the: Shorter Catechism of Philaret, Metr. of Moscow approved by the Most Holy synod of the Russian Church in 1839).....I should also note that being a World War II edition, there is included. "A Prayer for Our People at war" set forth by the late (deceased as of 1944?) Sergius, Patr. of Moscow. I am unsure if the prayer set forth by Sergius is a tradtitional prayer or not (the intecessory purpose is general & all the saints invoked are holy).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I understand what TF is saying. It's fairly obvious and simple to me, though it's couched in academic language.

I'd be interested in seeing how others here translate what he's saying into simple English. I think it's important that it be not only me that shows understanding and rejection of this un-Orthodoxy.

Again, I cannot believe that a canonical bishop would bless this, or receive such a person into the Church until they repented of it and accepted Tradition that does not depend on our inner experiences.

TF, I wonder if you would have the honesty and certainty of position to tell us what your jurisdiction and who your bishop is?

Rus, where did you get "personal subjective experience" out of "Common Holy Affective Experience", out of which you should be understanding the "Holy" attributes of it? Our friend Macarius has essentially said as much as I have here in an earlier thread, which none of you attempted to refute, though he took a far more subtle approach. I am more direct, to be sure, and use some unconventional language, but I am still correct in meaning, just a he was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Gurney, I too found it interesting how the particular group you mentioned puts science before faith. I think it would make an interesting discussion on the occasional clash of science and faith, but I do not want to further distract from the topic at hand (not say you are/have, but it could happen).

I think you understand something seriously different from what I do in the prefix "pro-".

But right now, evolution is not the topic. Authority is. What constitutes the Holy Tradition that we must accept and defend and by what authority can we say so, and can we exclude universal teaching of the past as NOT being part of Holy Tradition, and on what basis? What exactly has the power to correct us when we are wrong, as some of us must be some of the time?
rusmeister, I believe that the answer to these questions lie with the office of the bishop as well as the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

The "job" of the bishop is to oversee the faith in his diocese. I've always seen the bishop as someone who not only responds to cases of heresy, but also one who must answer pastoral issues that a priest is not able to as well as one who may occasionally need to make a public statement which the people desire due to a controversial topic going on in the real world.

That being said, to paraphrase what one Supreme Court justice said about inappropriate content long ago, I say, "We can't always define the Church's authority, but we know it when we see it". When something comes from the Synod about a topic we, the faithful, know it to be wrong when it is wrong (ex. Council of Florence 15th c.) and we know it to be right when it is right (ex. many hot topics such as abortion, euthanasia, etc).

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I can understand it. I just can't relate it to anything I've been taught of what Tradition includes?

As I said, it is much more akin to what I experienced in the Pentecostal circles, and as my personal experience with God.

Some of what I know from that experience is quite firm in my mind, and I believe it to be truth. However, I would not suggest it as equivalent to Tradition for the Church as a whole. (I'm not even likely to share most of it with anyone at all.)

Interesting that you mention prelest. I only recently learned what that was. And looking back, I can identify that as well. Being as I was pursuing this experiential relationship with no guidance or knowledge ... well, I have learned that is a dangerous thing.

And probably exactly why my priest said certain books (particularly certain monastic texts) should not be read without guidance. That was exactly what I did - read monastics and mystics before I ever went to any Church.

I learned a lot, and had a lot of "affective experience" ... but eventually some of it led me to something other than truth. I am extremely wary of that kind of thing now as far as my own experiences, and am aware of several kinds of dangers in it.

At some point, we pray, you will no longer find this difficult. But it can only be done by "prayer and fasting". There is a knowledge that is found only through suffering and deprivation which is not akin to anything that can be learned in any other way, and which many of those living in the world don't come to know, even Christian pentacostals.

Kylissa, If we read Orthodox Books on Holy, Living Tradition, we'll see our theologians basically saying the same thing about Holy Tradition. Meyendorf, Schmemman and others always refer to our Tradition as a "Living Tradition", which means that the Tradition is essentially tied to "Living Persons" and cannot be separated from persons, as it live inside of them.

If you had, as a pentecostal, truly experienced the Holy Common Affective Experience of the Holy Orthodox Church, then why are your here? I would suggest that you are here SEEKING, because you have not been convinced that those earlier affective religious experiences constitute the fullness of the Christian Faith. That is my guess. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Paul speaks to the reality that those in the Church and those coming into the Church are at differing levels of spiritual understanding. There are some who are able to digest strong meat, while others are in need of being nursed in the faith by being fed milk and honey. For there sake I will refrain from posting further clarifications on authority and its variants/gradients in meaning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

You will know a tree by its fruits. If my works (outward behaviors) are bad, show that they are bad.

I share some of my perspective as one who specializes in the healing and fusion of souls because I know that once understood it will have great power to help people in critical ways. Being rejected by others is always a risk, so it's okay.

Our Tradition exists strictly for the purpose of drawing us into such inner experiences which you divide and separate from Tradition when you insist that I repent this definition, or are otherwise excommunicated because of it. Hence, Tradition exists for the sake of the inner experiences, is derived from those experiences, and depends on those experiences. It is the experience itself that is the reason for Tradition, and Tradition loses its meaning if separated from that, and can even be harmful when it is. For Tradition was made for man, and man for Tradition. They go hand in and and do not exist properly without each other.[/quote]

I do have the honesty and certainty of position in that I openly share my thoughts and feelings when I discern that such sharing is helpful to others and not harmful. The relationship that I have with my friends and co-workers, their names and addresses, however, should not be publicized in a public forum.

And I feel that I should remind you that there was a significant amount of time wherein the Moscow Patriarchate was not held to be authoritative due to its submissive posture towards a hostile communist regime which forced it to make statements that were neither wholly Orthodox or Christian, but were ideologically political in content. We may understand that they were acting authoritatively and taking on a unique sort of martyrdom by accepting the role of "bad guy" for themselves in order to preserve at least some amount of Orthodox worship within their jurisdictions, but we certainly cannot accept their public statements as coming from within the "Common Holy Affective Experience" of the Orthodox Christian Faith. This historical incident can also reveal something of the nature of authority: Authority resides in those who possess it, and we tend to recognize it when we encounter it, person to person, and reject it when we don't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
At some point, we pray, you will no longer find this difficult. But it can only be done by "prayer and fasting". There is a knowledge that is found only through suffering and deprivation which is not akin to anything that can be learned in any other way, and which many of those living in the world don't come to know, even Christian pentacostals.

Kylissa, If we read Orthodox Books on Holy, Living Tradition, we'll see our theologians basically saying the same thing about Holy Tradition. Meyendorf, Schmemman and others always refer to our Tradition as a "Living Tradition", which means that the Tradition is essentially tied to "Living Persons" and cannot be separated from persons, as it live inside of them.

If you had, as a pentecostal, truly experienced the Holy Common Affective Experience of the Holy Orthodox Church, then why are your here? I would suggest that you are here SEEKING, because you have not been convinced that those earlier affective religious experiences constitute the fullness of the Christian Faith. That is my guess. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Paul speaks to the reality that those in the Church and those coming into the Church are at differing levels of spiritual understanding. There are some who are able to digest strong meat, while others are in need of being nursed in the faith by being fed milk and honey. For there sake I will refrain from posting further clarifications on authority and its variants/gradients in meaning.

OK.

Your words have made this perhaps something closer to what I can understand.

I'm still very - opposed? - to the idea of accepting what you propose as the totality of Tradition. Something inside of me, and what I have been taught, do not agree.

But if I understand you correctly, you are talking about something valuable. I don't have a word for it - it seems something more akin to "mindset" or "wisdom" or something like that, rather than "Tradition" ... but I would certainly be willing to consider it as the Traditional way of understanding.

Not that I speak from much experience, mind you. Of course I am still just learning all of this. But I might have experiences which help me to understand which some inquirers/catechumens might not have experienced, since mine was gained outside of the Church.

And yes, as a Pentecostal, I have experienced certain "affective" experiences. I think that is not at all what you are speaking of though? My first understanding of the surface of your words seems to be that kind of thing, and I would quickly reject such an idea of that being "Tradition" or even any part of it. It is far too subjective, individual, and potentially deceptive. But I don't think that's the kind of thing you are talking about at all.

What gives me the clue to what you may really be speaking of is "prayer and fasting" and "suffering and deprivation". I am not a stranger to either prayer (extensive times spent in prayer), nor to fasting. Rather than that though - I will say ... there have been other kinds of suffering. God has seen fit to allow me to experience things that are not typical, at least not in the US. And when compiled - well, I must admit, I've wondered sometimes.

And I did have the introduction to faith through monastics and mystics - so certain of the experiences are things I understand.

So - perhaps I understand what you mean. There is a deep understanding - for me really a reversal of my whole way of thinking - that comes from these kinds of experiences. If I understand you correctly, and if you are right that it has an important place in Orthodoxy, then perhaps that is why it was so comfortable for me so quickly, as perhaps I was fitted for it before I ever heard of the Church.

I think I will leave it at that. Or almost. What caught my attention is actually something you replied to someone else:

Tradition exists for the sake of the inner experiences, is derived from those experiences, and depends on those experiences. It is the experience itself that is the reason for Tradition, and Tradition loses its meaning if separated from that, and can even be harmful when it is. For Tradition was made for man, and man for Tradition. They go hand in and and do not exist properly without each other.

I am not qualified to examine and judge each of the statements you make here. However, I will say that I can certainly appreciate some of it.

Having begun these kinds of experiences (if I understand you correctly) without any spiritual guidance, wisdom, or knowledge, I can say that apart from the Church, such inner experiences can be dangerous. Within the framework of the Church, I am sure they are exceeding valuable. God has made them valuable for me, but it took many years and many things happening, and mistakes of my own got in the way and caused problems. So ... If I consider Tradition to be a framework for that kind of experience, and to exist for the purpose of guiding it, I can agree with you.

And the thing I was initially concerned with (well, among others) was whether Tradition itself DID possibly exist without any importance being placed on this kind of experience. I didn't see it from the outside, and I thought it might not exist. However, it did not take too much inquiry into the Church to find that it was indeed alive and well, and formed a very important part of Orthodox spirituality.

Without that, it (the Church, and Tradition) is just a theological framework. And as such, it certainly WOULD have the potential to be dangerous, as you say. But I delighted to have found the experiential/mystical/personal/Holy Spirit aspect to be quite alive and well within the Church, which was a huge part of the reason I was willing to go forward. [ETA: re-reading this, I realize the personal spirituality I speak of here sounds like just so much "pentecostal experientialism" ... and I'm talking about something much deeper, but I don't have the words to explain. Just wanted to say, I'm not just trying to fit pentecostal experiences into the Church, not at all. I just can't seem to find the words for what I DO mean.]

I have found no other Church that includes both a measure of strong theology and Truth, as well as the kind of emphasis on personal spirituality and growth that I was seeking.

I guess to sum this up - I would say that I agree with much of what you say. And I am not one to be able to judge.

But as I understand it, "Tradition" properly is something else, and to my understanding would more be the framework, guidance, and everything else that allows the kind of experience you are speaking of to happen. They can't be separated (or ought not be - as we both commented on various dangerous situations). It would be like separating the body and spirit and expecting either part to be a full human (though my analogy is poor - it's the best I can do).

So while I don't agree with your language/definition of Tradition, I will say that I greatly appreciate what you are speaking of, if I do indeed understand what you mean.

The way in which you initially said it though - either we disagree, or it was confusing as to your intent. Again, not that it is my place to correct - certainly not! - but my understanding of "Tradition" proper cannot exist without Scripture, interpretation, the Liturgy, and all else that holds us within its bounds and guides us.

Thank you for your further clarification. I hope that I have understood you properly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, Damaris. That helps.

Yes, quite right, and thank you!

So yes, Dot, you are right, but that's what I meant.

Ok. That's different. Thanks for explaining. :)

That's why I'm going to avoid arguing (in the best sense, I hope) about evolution. The thing that concerns me most is deliberate rebellion, and I see this in anyone saying "I will decide for myself what I will accept and what I will reject." It is the danger of saying that we need only agree on the Creed, Councils, and other things on Lukaris's short list. Who is to say that is the list or limit? Heck, Orthodox don't generally agree with the bit about "7" sacraments. Everything I've heard has said that that's a Catholic thing and that we don't count sacraments, assign a number. Who is to say? Just the self? Any creed (belief/faith) that has the self as the final authority, the ultimate veto on whether or not to accept something, makes one their own god, their own church. Anything that tells the complete truth is bound to displease or disturb us somewhere, for we are all broken in different ways. There practically has to be something that we don't like, that makes us uncomfortable, if it's really true. And if everybody up to now has agreed on something, who are we to change it, and say "They didn't know any better." Where do we get the idea that WE know better??

TrueFiction DID say the above quote publicly. Evolution aside, what can we say to such an attitude to authority? On what basis can Lukaris tell Macarius or anyone else that it is wrong to disdain the ancient teaching of the Church on the sexual perversions promoted bt the "LGBTQXYZ" movement or the consecration of men only into the priesthood? Because it is in a prayer book? What makes the ancient teachings Tradition, if it is NOT the consensus of the Church, the fathers and the faithful over two thousand years, found in Scripture, the Church fathers, the Councils and affirmed at every turn? May we turn to that consensus, anything that all have agreed on, shown in all the teachings of the Church to correct errors n teaching and thought, or must we admit that we may correct no one, that anyone can hold any view that seems good to them?

I am all for you correcting me from that consensus, which IS Holy Tradition, not limited merely to Scripture or to Councils or to the Fathers alone or to prayer books or liturgical content, but to what we find uncontested in all of the above.
I WANT to be corrected, to be made right, which is what "correct" means.
Is this directed toward me or TF?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
OK.

Your words have made this perhaps something closer to what I can understand.

I'm still very - opposed? - to the idea of accepting what you propose as the totality of Tradition. Something inside of me, and what I have been taught, do not agree.

But if I understand you correctly, you are talking about something valuable. I don't have a word for it - it seems something more akin to "mindset" or "wisdom" or something like that, rather than "Tradition" ... but I would certainly be willing to consider it as the Traditional way of understanding.

Not that I speak from much experience, mind you. Of course I am still just learning all of this. But I might have experiences which help me to understand which some inquirers/catechumens might not have experienced, since mine was gained outside of the Church.

And yes, as a Pentecostal, I have experienced certain "affective" experiences. I think that is not at all what you are speaking of though? My first understanding of the surface of your words seems to be that kind of thing, and I would quickly reject such an idea of that being "Tradition" or even any part of it. It is far too subjective, individual, and potentially deceptive. But I don't think that's the kind of thing you are talking about at all.

What gives me the clue to what you may really be speaking of is "prayer and fasting" and "suffering and deprivation". I am not a stranger to either prayer (extensive times spent in prayer), nor to fasting. Rather than that though - I will say ... there have been other kinds of suffering. God has seen fit to allow me to experience things that are not typical, at least not in the US. And when compiled - well, I must admit, I've wondered sometimes.

And I did have the introduction to faith through monastics and mystics - so certain of the experiences are things I understand.

So - perhaps I understand what you mean. There is a deep understanding - for me really a reversal of my whole way of thinking - that comes from these kinds of experiences. If I understand you correctly, and if you are right that it has an important place in Orthodoxy, then perhaps that is why it was so comfortable for me so quickly, as perhaps I was fitted for it before I ever heard of the Church.

I think I will leave it at that. Or almost. What caught my attention is actually something you replied to someone else:

I am not qualified to examine and judge each of the statements you make here. However, I will say that I can certainly appreciate some of it.

Having begun these kinds of experiences (if I understand you correctly) without any spiritual guidance, wisdom, or knowledge, I can say that apart from the Church, such inner experiences can be dangerous. Within the framework of the Church, I am sure they are exceeding valuable. God has made them valuable for me, but it took many years and many things happening, and mistakes of my own got in the way and caused problems. So ... If I consider Tradition to be a framework for that kind of experience, and to exist for the purpose of guiding it, I can agree with you.

And the thing I was initially concerned with (well, among others) was whether Tradition itself DID possibly exist without any importance being placed on this kind of experience. I didn't see it from the outside, and I thought it might not exist. However, it did not take too much inquiry into the Church to find that it was indeed alive and well, and formed a very important part of Orthodox spirituality.

Without that, it (the Church, and Tradition) is just a theological framework. And as such, it certainly WOULD have the potential to be dangerous, as you say. But I delighted to have found the experiential/mystical/personal/Holy Spirit aspect to be quite alive and well within the Church, which was a huge part of the reason I was willing to go forward. [ETA: re-reading this, I realize the personal spirituality I speak of here sounds like just so much "pentecostal experientialism" ... and I'm talking about something much deeper, but I don't have the words to explain. Just wanted to say, I'm not just trying to fit pentecostal experiences into the Church, not at all. I just can't seem to find the words for what I DO mean.]

I have found no other Church that includes both a measure of strong theology and Truth, as well as the kind of emphasis on personal spirituality and growth that I was seeking.

I guess to sum this up - I would say that I agree with much of what you say. And I am not one to be able to judge.

But as I understand it, "Tradition" properly is something else, and to my understanding would more be the framework, guidance, and everything else that allows the kind of experience you are speaking of to happen. They can't be separated (or ought not be - as we both commented on various dangerous situations). It would be like separating the body and spirit and expecting either part to be a full human (though my analogy is poor - it's the best I can do).

So while I don't agree with your language/definition of Tradition, I will say that I greatly appreciate what you are speaking of, if I do indeed understand what you mean.

The way in which you initially said it though - either we disagree, or it was confusing as to your intent. Again, not that it is my place to correct - certainly not! - but my understanding of "Tradition" proper cannot exist without Scripture, interpretation, the Liturgy, and all else that holds us within its bounds and guides us.

Thank you for your further clarification. I hope that I have understood you properly.

This demonstrates a good understanding. Please note, for the purpose of greater clarity, that I "emphasized" the inner experience of the Living Tradition but did not actually divorce it from the physical stuff that we usually understand to represent Tradition, like Scripture, interpretation, the Liturgy, and all else that holds us in common. Traditionalist tendencies have been terribly harmful. We now bless ourselves using three fingers, for example. But in Russia there was a time when this was not the case, because the sign of the cross was made using two fingers. One of our highly ambitious Patriarch's who preferred Greek customs and Liturgical practices used all the power he could muster to reform Russian Orthodox Tradition. Bitter divisions followed, characterized by religiously rooted hatred, persecution, murder (executions), and a schism that is now approaching three-hundred years of longevity. The point that I wish to make is that practices, Scriptural interpretation, and even Liturgy have and do undergo some changes, but the "Common Holy Affective Experience" is unchanging. If we had only known that experience as well as we might have, the tragic occurrences which have taken place in seventeenth century Russia could have easily been avoided.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One voice about what? Univocal about many things, but not everything. And people are only arguing about things in the "not everything" bin.

I don't think so here. if we were, there would be some Saint who would have spoken out in favor of evolution's possibility.

You don't find that statement a little bit vague? What is variance? How big can a variance be before you can't ignore it? Can you ignore any kind of variance or only some kinds?

no, I think if you look through the centuries, you can see the common threads starting from Pentecost to today all over the place. as jckstraw pointed out, it's not just in our Church Father writings, but in our hymns, icons, etc. so you might see some Church Father believe in something in error, like universalism in the early centuries, but for the vast majority of the Christian experience, that has been seen as heretical.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes! Our Church is a holistic Faith not placing one saint as our "go-to" infallibalist but rather the troparion, kontakion, hymns, daily prayers, Councils, ancient writings all work thematically....

I don't think so here. if we were, there would be some Saint who would have spoken out in favor of evolution's possibility.

no, I think if you look through the centuries, you can see the common threads starting from Pentecost to today all over the place. as jckstraw pointed out, it's not just in our Church Father writings, but in our hymns, icons, etc. so you might see some Church Father believe in something in error, like universalism in the early centuries, but for the vast majority of the Christian experience, that has been seen as heretical.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just want to mention that the approach I am taking via the prayer book I have mentioned seems a reliable (not an exclusive) option for an average layperson. The "7" sacraments listed are: baptism, Holy Chrismation, Holy Communion, Penance, Holy Orders, Matrimony, & Unction. This list may not be final but, it is reliable & how many more sacraments do most people know anyway?

There are also the 9 commandments of the church listed in the prayer book which are taken from the 1839 Russian catechism I have indicated previously mentioned. These are strict in some instances (no. 5 for ex. which I fail to keep). The non Orthodox world is also rapidly degenerating around us & these simple guidelines can preserve faith for the non scholarly layperson. The commandments can be found here: Saint Luke Orthodox Church - Ministries - Community

None of what I am mentioning should preclude further study of church authority but I also think the average, literate layperson needs some basic clarifications (which the church has provided). I also think what I am mentioning is akin to advanced theology for many lay persons.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.